Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2014, 10:55 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,417,057 times

Advertisements

I started The Goldfinch and was plugging along until Theo got to Vegas. Then I started skipping around, and going back, and now I've abandoned it . I'm sure I'll go back to it, but I'm not quite sure what I think of it. I can see why there is that "is it art or not" controversy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 01:09 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,428,694 times
Started The Belial Stone by R.D. Brady
First time using the "14 day lending" from a friend on the Kindle.

So far, I'm glad I borrowed and didn't pay, LOL

Old 10-02-2014, 04:30 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I started The Goldfinch and was plugging along until Theo got to Vegas. Then I started skipping around, and going back, and now I've abandoned it .
One of the best books I've ever read. The Las Vegas part is very discouraging to read, though, since you want to yank the protagonist away from that situation. Another thread on the book here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/books...nna-tartt.html

Old 10-02-2014, 04:37 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Started The Belial Stone by R.D. Brady
First time using the "14 day lending" from a friend on the Kindle.

So far, I'm glad I borrowed and didn't pay, LOL
Oh no I took The Belial Stone as a Kindle Freebie, because I love archaeological thrillers! I was hoping it was a good one.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:55 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,717,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I started The Goldfinch and was plugging along until Theo got to Vegas. Then I started skipping around, and going back, and now I've abandoned it . I'm sure I'll go back to it, but I'm not quite sure what I think of it. I can see why there is that "is it art or not" controversy.
I totally hated that book!!! Do not need pages and pages and pages of writing to describe one event.

I did want to see how it all ended so I finished but admit it was in fast forward mode

Old 10-03-2014, 06:03 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
I think I read one Oprah book and it wasn't because it was Oprah approved, lol. Oh yes, it was The Invention Of Wings. I liked it. I also just checked and I do have a few more of her books on my TR list. I do like some of the bestsellers but not all

Ahh..book clubs. I always thought it might be fun as a social get together but I really don't want to discuss a book in "great" detail. I did look up a book group in the new area we are moving to for the winter. Their book list isn't too bad and I have read some. Here is their list:
Oct "All Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion"
Nov. "The Orphan Train" Christina Baker Kline
December "Sycamore Row" John Grisham
January "Two Sisters: A Novel" by Mary Hogan
February "The Postmistress: A Novel" by S. Blake
March "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green

I'm not sure who decides on the books but at least it is a voluntary book meeting.

I have been struggling with The Last Child by John Hart. It's another one that got very good reviews and I am sticking it our, so far. It is very slow moving for me.

Last night I read the first few chapters of Unbroken. I think it will be a book that I like.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:21 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,907,213 times
I'm reading "'Tis" -- Frank McCourt. I loved "Angela's Ashes", particularly after visiting Ireland, and this is a continuation of his family's story.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:44 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,717,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
I'm reading "'Tis" -- Frank McCourt. I loved "Angela's Ashes", particularly after visiting Ireland, and this is a continuation of his family's story.
Read both years ago and enjoyed both

Old 10-03-2014, 09:19 AM

461 posts, read 796,491 times
One Plus One by JoJo Moyes, great read.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:07 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,428,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Oh no I took The Belial Stone as a Kindle Freebie, because I love archaeological thrillers! I was hoping it was a good one.
Oh, I'll shut up then, you may like it

(I'll admit, I liked the secondary characters better than the main ones. So I read the 2nd Belial book about Henry!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books