Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2014, 11:12 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times

Advertisements

I just read Eleanor and Park. Not a book I ever would have chosen for myself, but it was a book club selection and I always feel compelled to try each one. I'm not a big YA reader for the most part. The first few pages were bad - teenage profanity laced bad - but then it got rolling (and cleaner) and before I knew it I was flipping the pages and looking forward to reading moments!

It is the coming of age, teen love story about two misfits in the late 80s. If you like 80s music, you will appreciate the many musical references. Aside from that first school-bus teen clique scene, there wasn't a lot of vulgar language and though there was a lot of sweet passion and daydreaming, no overt sex, either.

Surprisingly, I liked it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 11:28 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I just read Eleanor and Park. Not a book I ever would have chosen for myself, but it was a book club selection and I always feel compelled to try each one. I'm not a big YA reader for the most part. The first few pages were bad - teenage profanity laced bad - but then it got rolling (and cleaner) and before I knew it I was flipping the pages and looking forward to reading moments!

It is the coming of age, teen love story about two misfits in the late 80s. If you like 80s music, you will appreciate the many musical references. Aside from that first school-bus teen clique scene, there wasn't a lot of vulgar language and though there was a lot of sweet passion and daydreaming, no overt sex, either.

My niece had suggested it to me and I enjoyed it too. Wasn't so sure at the beginning but it pulled me in. I like to read what she and my friend's teen daughter suggest so I get a sense of teen girls since I will have one of those soon. (Even though I was one, I feel like they are so different now than when I was that age.)

Old 10-14-2014, 12:23 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
My niece had suggested it to me and I enjoyed it too. Wasn't so sure at the beginning but it pulled me in. I like to read what she and my friend's teen daughter suggest so I get a sense of teen girls since I will have one of those soon. (Even though I was one, I feel like they are so different now than when I was that age.)

Oh these teen girls are very different now they talk about everything and anything and much more freely than we ever were allowed too . My mom and grandmom were always listening to what we were talking about and then if they felt not appropriate they cut us off . In most aspects religion was not to be talked about and neither was sex or anything they deemed adult talk and we should not be privy to that . They were so closed mouth in my house it was not even funny . No one talked at dinner time that was for eating and then home work and bath and bed . Never can remember having a conversation with my mom or dad until I was a teenager and only to be cut off if they did not like the conversation so kudos to you for wanting to know what the teens are reading and talking about .I hope your daughter knows how lucky she is ...

Old 10-14-2014, 12:33 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Oh these teen girls are very different now they talk about everything and anything and much more freely than we ever were allowed too . My mom and grandmom were always listening to what we were talking about and then if they felt not appropriate they cut us off . In most aspects religion was not to be talked about and neither was sex or anything they deemed adult talk and we should not be privy to that . They were so closed mouth in my house it was not even funny . No one talked at dinner time that was for eating and then home work and bath and bed . Never can remember having a conversation with my mom or dad until I was a teenager and only to be cut off if they did not like the conversation so kudos to you for wanting to know what the teens are reading and talking about .I hope your daughter knows how lucky she is ...
That is just awful!! I can't imagine. We didn't talk about some stuff in my family growing up, but we were pretty much able to talk about what we wanted to talk about.

Thank you. I think she's lucky too.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:05 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Originally Posted by Lost Roses

I also thought for sure that I would really like A Man Called Ove ,but I do have a really low tolerance for aggravating,SNARKY,people like the woman-Hyacinth Bucket (who insists that her surname is pronounced "Bouquet") on the Brit-Com Keeping Up Appearances, and Estelle Getty who played Sophia, Bea Arthur's character of Dorothy Zbornak's mother on the Golden Girls, or those like Joan Rivers,Don Rickles.I never could stand people like them,but many people find them hilarious,so I won't be at all surprised if YoungLisa7 enjoys it very much.

I can do snarky but I can't do mean BTW, no Joan for me

I also agree that our tolerance or moods vary towards our reading. I know for a fact that I surprised myself by totally loving the Regency Romance -Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson,because I know that normally I would have thought that the 17 year old heroine's habit of 'twirling' was just too silly to believe,yet I found her character endearing and her 'twirling' believable and tolerable,and accepted that the hero did not find it ridiculous!
That looks sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post

Quote:

That was a cute book. I didn't like the end though. Have you tried Whale Talk? I liked that one a little more.

Quote:
Tell me about it. My 10 year old granddaughter knows so much and my teen years were pretty bizarre at home, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I am just finishing WHAT ALICE FORGOT by the same woman who wrote THE HUSBAND'S SECRET. I LOVE it. She is such a great author. I highly recommend her books.
I have that on my list.

I am almost finished with Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind. Hmm….definitely not a spunky southern gal like I was hoping for. She actually kind of ticks me off. I know it was the times but Miss Julia is a foolish woman who had her head stuck in the mud for far too long, doesn't know how to think for herself, and is too worried about what the "neighbors" will think. Good grief it's not the 50's anymore. I hope she grows a backbone in her later books. As my DH would say…"small life"

So that was cheery, lol.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:29 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,604,506 times
Quote:
yes that is
, Im buying it for the story and illustrations ...yes I know it is young but hopefully one day I will read it to my grand kids and also am buying another one titled " A nest for celeste " ...I think they will like that one too LOL ...
I was another one who bought books to read to my future grandchildren. I did and they loved it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
My mother loved horror/supernatural movies and when I was a very young kid she let me watch "The Haunting of Hill House" with her. I didn't realize til I was an adult and watched it again (the original, not the remake) that it was the basis of my most terrifying nightmares. The book probably isn't as scary.....
I never saw the movie because I swore off horror but while reading the book my imagination was probably just as bad as the film. I still think about one of those scenes all these years later.

Quote:
Yes, they're so different. I remarked to my 13-year-old granddaughter that they know so much now compared to when I was 13. She said, "Well, you lived in like medieval times."

Old 10-14-2014, 05:36 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,558 times
"Her Fearful Symmetry" Just started it and so far so good!

Old 10-14-2014, 09:02 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
My mother loved horror/supernatural movies and when I was a very young kid she let me watch "The Haunting of Hill House" with her. I didn't realize til I was an adult and watched it again (the original, not the remake) that it was the basis of my most terrifying nightmares. The book probably isn't as scary.....
Strangely, I can read scary but it's very rare that I can actually WATCH scary. I still have creepy memories of a Vincent Price movie with a torture chamber underground -- and still get goosebumps if I have to go into a dark basement.

I just finished King's "The Shining" and am very, very glad I didn't see the movie. I wouldn't have been able to finish it.

I started this tradition of reading ghost stories in October over a decade ago, but normally I only read one, and later in the month -- the week of Halloween. I think I might've gone over the top this year. I'm feeling a bit jittery from the adrenalin.

I think I am going to set aside "Yarn Harlot" for a while (I'm halfway through), and pick up "The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield. There's still a ghost in there, but it sounds tamer than some of the others I have to choose from.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:45 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
My feelings about Miss Julia did not change. She needs to change her church

I am now reading The Last Letter from Your Lover by Jojo Moyes. I really enjoyed Me Before You so I am hoping this one is also good.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:37 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Strangely, I can read scary but it's very rare that I can actually WATCH scary. I still have creepy memories of a Vincent Price movie with a torture chamber underground -- and still get goosebumps if I have to go into a dark basement.

I just finished King's "The Shining" and am very, very glad I didn't see the movie. I wouldn't have been able to finish it.

I started this tradition of reading ghost stories in October over a decade ago, but normally I only read one, and later in the month -- the week of Halloween. I think I might've gone over the top this year. I'm feeling a bit jittery from the adrenalin.

I think I am going to set aside "Yarn Harlot" for a while (I'm halfway through), and pick up "The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield. There's still a ghost in there, but it sounds tamer than some of the others I have to choose from.
If that's the movie I'm thinking of, House on Haunted Hill, it scared the bejesus out of me too
So I'm with you, I can read scary but rarely watch scary..lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books