Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2014, 01:38 PM

7,263 posts, read 9,273,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Life of Pi, old lady! (I'm older than you are, so it's not an insult. And I love you, so it's definitely not an insult.)
Thank you, Dawnie, old lady. I was preoccupied with a coyote someone trapped here and lost all my marbles over the guilt I'm feeling even though there are too many coyotes here and I am afraid for Nina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 07:16 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,953,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Thank you, Dawnie, old lady. I was preoccupied with a coyote someone trapped here and lost all my marbles over the guilt I'm feeling even though there are too many coyotes here and I am afraid for Nina.
UGH! Well, I know it doesn't make it easier in your mind, but Nina *is* more important.

~~~~~~~

I started Americanah. I'm 8% in. I'll let you know, sometime in 2016, that I've finished it. Short attention span + a lot of work + apartment/condo hunting = Americanah taking two years to complete.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:34 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,523,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Could have told you that. All the reviews I read that came out about that book were in the "whaaat?" category. People had higher hopes after the tiger book (having a senior moment here and can't remember the title.)
I've persevered, and it has picked up a bit, but I don't think it's anywhere near the calibre of "Life of Pi," which I loved so much that I bought copies to give to others. I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised and love it by the time it's done.

Which, by the way is how I feel about Josephine Tey's "Brat Farrar." Up until the last part (just over an hour of listening) it was going along about like leaves floating on a lazy river and I was just glad that the character I started out thinking was a sleaze was actually developing into a standup guy. Then, all of a sudden in the last hour I find out the mystery is a murder. That last hour got very interesting.

I'm thinking I need to find a 12-step program for those that download more book titles than they will ever be able to read. Last count I am at nearly 600 on my Kindle, and nearly thirty on the Zune. I've reserved another 25 on the library's downloadable titles site. I am wondering where it will stop. I've decided that from this moment on, all future recommends are going to be ONLY marked on Goodreads as "Want to Read," but no more downloads until I've read/listened to what I already have in queue, or reserved. That's it. I'm starting NOW.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:40 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,591,280 times
Okay, don't read this, Mayberry. I just finished listening to one of the best "domestic fiction" titles ever. It's Family Album, by one of my favorite authors - Penelope Lively. A large English family with six kids and an au pair live in a sprawling old family house on the outskirts of London. The book starts out with the kids all grown but their stories are told in brilliant flashbacks from each well-drawn character's point of view.

There's no real plot, this is character-driven fiction, but there is an elephant in the room (or house) and it's a delightful journey to listen to. The pleasure of this novel is heightened by the narrator, Josephine Bailey. She's a master at the voices and intonations, and listening to the fluty tones (think Julia Child) of the mother as she cajoles and remonstrates her bookish, withdrawn husband and sometimes unruly children is marvelous! I could have eaten this book for dinner. Though only seven discs, it took me three renewals from the library since I only listen in the car but it could have gone on for seven more as far as I was concerned. Yes, I loved it.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Okay, don't read this, Mayberry. I just finished listening to one of the best "domestic fiction" titles ever. It's Family Album, by one of my favorite authors - Penelope Lively. A large English family with six kids and an au pair live in a sprawling old family house on the outskirts of London. The book starts out with the kids all grown but their stories are told in brilliant flashbacks from each well-drawn character's point of view.

There's no real plot, this is character-driven fiction, but there is an elephant in the room (or house) and it's a delightful journey to listen to. The pleasure of this novel is heightened by the narrator, Josephine Bailey. She's a master at the voices and intonations, and listening to the fluty tones (think Julia Child) of the mother as she cajoles and remonstrates her bookish, withdrawn husband and sometimes unruly children is marvelous! I could have eaten this book for dinner. Though only seven discs, it took me three renewals from the library since I only listen in the car but it could have gone on for seven more as far as I was concerned. Yes, I loved it.
Well, I suppose I could fit just one more in! (Feeling like the over-stuffed aunt at Thanksgiving reaching for her second piece of pecan pie.)

Old 11-04-2014, 05:45 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,953,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Well, I suppose I could fit just one more in! (Feeling like the over-stuffed aunt at Thanksgiving reaching for her second piece of pecan pie.)
There's no such thing as a second piece of pecan pie. It's just the rest of the piece that you did take.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:32 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,456,164 times
I'm down to the last few chapters of A Simple Plan. Very enjoyable, I really don't know if he's gonna get caught or not. I've always said, if you're going to commit a crime, you need to do it by yourself. Never involve anyone else and never ever tell anyone about it. This story certainly illustrates why. You can't control other people!

A bunch of library holds are coming in unexpectedly early so it looks like I'll have to return some without reading. Sigh. Oh well, maybe I'll remember to get them again sometime.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:40 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,591,280 times
LOL, Mayberry! We might as well start practicing for Thanksgiving. I like Dawn's theory on the pie.

Lilly, I hate when that happens. I missed picking up one of my holds and they re-shelved it. What was it - can't remember. I figure I'll run across it again eventually, or maybe not.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
There's no such thing as a second piece of pecan pie. It's just the rest of the piece that you did take.
Nice on the lips, but oh boy those hips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I'm down to the last few chapters of A Simple Plan. Very enjoyable, I really don't know if he's gonna get caught or not. I've always said, if you're going to commit a crime, you need to do it by yourself. Never involve anyone else and never ever tell anyone about it. This story certainly illustrates why. You can't control other people!
I can tell you are into this one!

I'm listening to "Kinsey and Me: Stories" by Sue Grafton. It's been ages since I've listed to Grafton's alphabet mysteries and this collection of her short stories is a nice refresher. The book starts with a preface from Sue about how Kinsey was born, and made herself known to Sue as she wrote. At one point Sue says she likes mysteries because they get solved and justice is done. Me, too. I may have to go back and find out where I left off and listen to more.

What the heck am I saying!? Where IS that support group?

Old 11-04-2014, 06:16 PM

5,503 posts, read 6,235,307 times
Burn--James Patterson---another excellent Michael Bennett story!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books