Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2014, 06:14 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,944,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I think you may be confused, my dear. I don't know who Penelope Lively is. I told you about Louise Penny, who IS a mystery writer and both names have "pennies" in them. But in any case, I hope you read and enjoy the newest books on your list!
Oh! OH! Yes, of course. You're right. Hahahaha! My brain... I should have an ice cream sandwich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 06:57 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,658,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Oh! OH! Yes, of course. You're right. Hahahaha! My brain... I should have an ice cream sandwich.
Now I want an ice cream sandwich, too. Or a blizzard from Dairy Queen.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Now I want an ice cream sandwich, too. Or a blizzard from Dairy Queen.
Oh, DQ! Yes, yes, yes. I'll meet you somewhere in the midwest.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:58 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,590,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
This sounds like exactly what I would love. I actually just started Moon Tiger by Penelope Lively since so many people seemed to be very familiar with her work and fans of it.
I will definitely put family album on hold at the library.
I love this type of book - never knew how to categorize it.

(Hopefully it's as delightful to read as it must be great to listen to).
I am stating my goal to finish Moon Tiger, and then read Invention of Wings for a book club (and I hear that is wonderful but I need to actually read it) and THEN I will treat myself to Family Album.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
A bunch of you have been reading Penelope Lively books and, because of the one that Marlow told me about, I thought that she (Penelope, not Marlow) was a mystery writer. But now Lost Roses and Mayvenne are screaming "DOMESTIC FICTION!" (Okay, you're not screaming it but I still love the category name that you've assigned to this type of book, Lost Roses.)

So I looked on Amazon (my pusher; my enabler) and I now have three Penelope Lively books on my "to read" list: Family Album, Moon Tiger, and How It All Began. Yes, the Lively books are all short but I still have no choice but to live until I'm 284 years old if I hope to finish all the books on my "to read" list.
Domestic fiction is an official but underutilized Library of Congress genre/form heading. I used it a lot in my 25 years of cataloging books at our public library. I added it to every bibliographic record that should have had it but didn't! Yes, I was a one-woman band wagon for this heading because otherwise you just have to "stumble" onto this popular type of fiction since I've never seen it broken down by search category like Mystery, Romance, Fantasy, etc. In the end my efforts didn't really matter since the library began outsourcing the cataloging of our fiction collection. But I'm still a big fan of domestic fiction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I want to read Patricia Highsmith's "Two Faces of January". I'm going to watch the movie on Amazon tonight.

Any Anya Seton fans? I read Dragonwyck as a kid and remember it fondly.
Anya Seton wrote Katherine, one of the best-loved historical novels ever!

Old 11-09-2014, 05:31 AM

4,712 posts, read 4,386,886 times
[quote=Lost Roses;37203159]Domestic fiction is an official but underutilized Library of Congress genre/form heading. I used it a lot in my 25 years of cataloging books at our public library. I added it to every bibliographic record that should have had it but didn't! Yes, I was a one-woman band wagon for this heading because otherwise you just have to "stumble" onto this popular type of fiction since I've never seen it broken down by search category like Mystery, Romance, Fantasy, etc. In the end my efforts didn't really matter since the library began outsourcing the cataloging of our fiction collection. But I'm still a big fan of domestic fiction.

Well this is most informative. Thank you- never knew the classification or terminology so I just went and googled this and for example on goodreads they do have it as a category with hundreds of books.
I am wondering if anyone is familiar with 2 of my favorite and could tell me what category they are (cause I would devour everything like them).
1. Miss Read Village Diary and Village School etc.
2/ Mapp and Lucia by E. F. Benson.

and by the way whoever has not read those- give'em a try!

Old 11-09-2014, 06:16 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,825,257 times
Wow,I can't remember how long ago it was when I read 'This Matter Of Marriage' by Debbie Macomber,but I was shocked when rereading it,that there was cursing,crude talk and even sex scenes that I had to skip! Seems her books are not all that wholesome!

Next I have a few of the Virgin River books by Robyn Carr,to try. Have no idea how 'wholesome' her romances are.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:40 AM

[quote=Mayvenne;37203875]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Domestic fiction is an official but underutilized Library of Congress genre/form heading. I used it a lot in my 25 years of cataloging books at our public library. I added it to every bibliographic record that should have had it but didn't! Yes, I was a one-woman band wagon for this heading because otherwise you just have to "stumble" onto this popular type of fiction since I've never seen it broken down by search category like Mystery, Romance, Fantasy, etc. In the end my efforts didn't really matter since the library began outsourcing the cataloging of our fiction collection. But I'm still a big fan of domestic fiction.

Well this is most informative. Thank you- never knew the classification or terminology so I just went and googled this and for example on goodreads they do have it as a category with hundreds of books.
I am wondering if anyone is familiar with 2 of my favorite and could tell me what category they are (cause I would devour everything like them).
1. Miss Read Village Diary and Village School etc.
2/ Mapp and Lucia by E. F. Benson.

and by the way whoever has not read those- give'em a try!
Miss Read and other authors of the same ilk write "pastoral fiction."
Definition
Used for novels with a rural setting and a tone of romantic nostalgia.

Mapp and Lucia (love them, especially the TV series) are more likely to be under "humorous stories."
A complete list of genre headings and their meanings can be browsed at:

WorldCat Genres

Of course the main issue is that many of these helpful genres (what type of book it is) never make it into the bibliographic description of any particular title. So relying on subject headings (what a book is about) can be more reliable. Such as "Country life - England - Fiction" or "Villages - England - Fiction."

Sorry, that's more than you asked for! I have to keep reminding myself I'm retired.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:22 AM

I'm 81% in on The Sleepwalker's Guide to Dancing. That's an amazing feat for me these days, since the book is more than 500 pages. I'm really enjoying it and don't want it to end, except that I have 14 tons of other books to read so...

Speaking of other books, because I don't have enough to keep me busy, I came across this on Amazon today. Yours for just $1.99! It sounded good and the reviews were good and I have no self-control and I bought it.

The Virtues of Oxygen - Kindle edition by Susan Schoenberger. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:58 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,361,347 times
I wasn't planning on stopping at the library when I went in to town but the car just sort of turned in to the parking lot without me even thinking about it. I came away with six:

Cape Cod by William Martin
The Ghost War by Alex Berenson
The Rope by Nevada Barr
Everyone Lies by A. D. Garrett
In Country by Bobbie Ann Mason
The Midnight Plan of the Repo Man by W. Bruce Cameron

I hope they will all be good. I'll let you know.

Old 11-09-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I wasn't planning on stopping at the library when I went in to town but the car just sort of turned in to the parking lot without me even thinking about it. I came away with six:

Cape Cod by William Martin
The Ghost War by Alex Berenson
The Rope by Nevada Barr
Everyone Lies by A. D. Garrett
In Country by Bobbie Ann Mason
The Midnight Plan of the Repo Man by W. Bruce Cameron

I hope they will all be good. I'll let you know.
I hope so too. Sometimes I get lucky and my whole stack is good reading but this time not so much. They were either boring or bad.

I will hit the library tomorrow hopefully before the polar vortex arrives. Plus I'm out of audiobooks which can't go on for long. Meanwhile I'm contenting myself with reading a Rhys Bowen mystery, Queen of Hearts. This is the Georgiana Rannoch series, she of the 35th-in-line-to-the-throne fame. Lighthearted and silly, but always amusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books