Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2014, 12:57 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times

Advertisements

dawn I do the same thing because I think it is important that they know that their work is appreciated like the rest of us would like to know ...kudos to you dawn for doing such a wonderful thing . Im sure you made her day just like you do for many of us on city data ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 02:20 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I love how you connect with authors, Dawn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
dawn I do the same thing because I think it is important that they know that their work is appreciated like the rest of us would like to know ...kudos to you dawn for doing such a wonderful thing . Im sure you made her day just like you do for many of us on city data ...
Thank you, ladies. That was kind of you to say, Phonelady. Oh, and Ketabcha, of course I mentioned you in my email to her. Not by name, but I said that I'd told you about the book and how much we both loved it. And I told her that you found the word that I was missing to label it: masterpiece.

I just started Remember Me Like This by Bret Anthony Johnston, another first-time author. He's a clean writer; solid, not overly expressive; like he's speaking the story to you.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:04 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,029 times
Currently reading City of Thieves by David Benioff and The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick. I love City of Thieves, but am completely indifferent about The Man in the High Castle.

Last book I finished was Tabu by Ferdinand von Schirach. Great author. I can only recommend "Crime and Guilt". A collection of short stories known as "Verbrechen" and "Schuld" in German.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Currently reading City of Thieves by David Benioff and The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick. I love City of Thieves, but am completely indifferent about The Man in the High Castle.
THANK YOU for the reminder about City of Thieves! Many months ago, I got two books by David Benioff -- City of Thieves and The 25th Hour. I wasn't crazy about The 25th Hour and my short attention span -- oh, look! SHINY! -- kicked in and some other book (not City of Thieves) came on my radar and, so, I completely forgot about City of Thieves, which I heard is FABULOUS! It's back on my looooong "to-read" list, but it's near the top now (rather than not on it -- or in my memory -- at all!). Thanks!

Old 11-23-2014, 05:37 PM

218 posts, read 544,218 times
I just finished a marathon re-read after 20 some odd years of Stephen King's The Stand. Especially after seeing this article that perhaps someone will attempt to bring it to the big screen. And yes, it is still what I consider one of his best written novels.
http://deadline.com/2014/11/the-stan...ms-1201291709/

I also just finished The Martian by Andy Weir. Lengthy but riveting as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
By the way, is no one reading Revival, Stephen King's latest? I've been waiting to see what other people had to say about it.
I'm just about to start it in a few minutes once it downloads to my kindle. Will let you know....

Last edited by OcalaLiving; 11-23-2014 at 05:53 PM..

Old 11-23-2014, 05:47 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,810,279 times
I'm reading Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult. I could not get into it at first, but now I hate to put it down. I am not getting much reading time due to moving, but as soon as I get to settle into the hotel room at night I am back at it. I have not even turned on the TV since we got here last Thursday.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:47 PM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Book no 5 in the Outlander series

Old 11-23-2014, 09:19 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
THANK YOU for the reminder about City of Thieves! Many months ago, I got two books by David Benioff -- City of Thieves and The 25th Hour. I wasn't crazy about The 25th Hour and my short attention span -- oh, look! SHINY! -- kicked in and some other book (not City of Thieves) came on my radar and, so, I completely forgot about City of Thieves, which I heard is FABULOUS! It's back on my looooong "to-read" list, but it's near the top now (rather than not on it -- or in my memory -- at all!). Thanks!
City of Thieves is a "three generation" book. I loved it and talked my son into reading it because one of the main characters reminded me so much of him. He loved it so much, he encouraged my dad, his grandpa, to read it. I love the book all the more for this connection.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
City of Thieves is a "three generation" book. I loved it and talked my son into reading it because one of the main characters reminded me so much of him. He loved it so much, he encouraged my dad, his grandpa, to read it. I love the book all the more for this connection.
I love that! It makes me want to read it so much more now!

Old 11-24-2014, 09:12 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I just started Remember Me Like This by Bret Anthony Johnston, another first-time author. He's a clean writer; solid, not overly expressive; like he's speaking the story to you.
Bret Anthony Johnston's first book was a collection of short stories called Corpus Christi: Stories, set in our hometown. He is a good writer and the book was very well received. I might have to reread it since you reminded me of it.

I finished The Sleepwalker's Guide to Dancing last night and really liked it. The writing reminded me a little of Barbara Kingsolver. It's a family drama with beautiful writing, complex characters and a compelling story. Thanks for the recommendation, Dawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books