Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2014, 11:04 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times

Advertisements

I am finally reading! I read a bit of this and that over the last couple of months but nothing I read seemed worth mentioning. And now I am reading a very strange, and very interesting book called The Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber. The Book of Strange New Things: A Novel: Michel Faber: 9780553418842: Amazon.com: Books

The main character in the book is an Christian missionary sent to aliens on another world. It's a lot like The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. I don't have a clue where Faber is going with this book but in spite of the alien theme, it is so rooted in a - I don't know - the word 'common' keeps coming to mind - everyday, ordinary way of writing - there is nothing flowery about it, or more weird than you would think would be acceptable for a book involving aliens. It is possible that the Christian missionary aspect will turn off some readers, which would be a pity, imo.

I read a review of the book in the local Saturday paper and before I knew it, I had downloaded the sample and then I kept reading and now I suddenly realised I am 70% through. And then I realised that it was probably safe for me to post about it without the no-reading curse coming upon me.

Faber also wrote a book of historical fiction called The Crimson Petal and the White, which apparently also received great reviews and which I will most assuredly read after having read this and which some of you guys, may in fact have read - so what did you think of that one, those of you who read it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 11:45 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I am finally reading! I read a bit of this and that over the last couple of months but nothing I read seemed worth mentioning. And now I am reading a very strange, and very interesting book called The Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber. The Book of Strange New Things: A Novel: Michel Faber: 9780553418842: Amazon.com: Books

The main character in the book is an Christian missionary sent to aliens on another world. It's a lot like The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. I don't have a clue where Faber is going with this book but in spite of the alien theme, it is so rooted in a - I don't know - the word 'common' keeps coming to mind - everyday, ordinary way of writing - there is nothing flowery about it, or more weird than you would think would be acceptable for a book involving aliens. It is possible that the Christian missionary aspect will turn off some readers, which would be a pity, imo.

I read a review of the book in the local Saturday paper and before I knew it, I had downloaded the sample and then I kept reading and now I suddenly realised I am 70% through. And then I realised that it was probably safe for me to post about it without the no-reading curse coming upon me.

Faber also wrote a book of historical fiction called The Crimson Petal and the White, which apparently also received great reviews and which I will most assuredly read after having read this and which some of you guys, may in fact have read - so what did you think of that one, those of you who read it?

Well this doesn't sound like my cup of tea, but I did read The Crimson Petal and the White, and it was mesmerizing. I think he wrote something else which I tried and couldn't get drawn in. It sure sounds like his newer one is a good read.
For me sometimes I realize that the subject/plot is less important to me than the draw-ability... what keeps me pushing on reading. I too have my spells of no reading or nothing really hooking me.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:53 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
I really like the premise of Roanoke Vanishing (The Vanishing Series Book 1) by Auburn Seal,and thought it was very well written and interesting,if only some major questions had been resolved,it would have been a 5-star read.I love history's mysteries!

I also enjoy 'Black Ops' thrillers so I am now enjoying 'Groom Lake' by Bryan O.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:33 PM

144 posts, read 406,624 times
Currently reading Sophocles complete works. Loving it!!

Old 11-24-2014, 07:09 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,301 times
I am re-reading Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins after seeing the movie yesterday

Old 11-24-2014, 07:17 PM

141 posts, read 205,587 times
Anne Rice's new "Prince Lestat." I'm about a third of the way through and it's not one of her best so far. I devoured all the original Vampire Chronicles books, but this one hasn't really hooked me.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:56 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Bret Anthony Johnston's first book was a collection of short stories called Corpus Christi: Stories, set in our hometown. He is a good writer and the book was very well received. I might have to reread it since you reminded me of it.

I finished The Sleepwalker's Guide to Dancing last night and really liked it. The writing reminded me a little of Barbara Kingsolver. It's a family drama with beautiful writing, complex characters and a compelling story. Thanks for the recommendation, Dawn.
I'm so glad that you enjoyed The Sleepwalker's Guide to Dancing. I hope to read more of her.

Let me ask you a Corpus Christi question about Remember Me Like This. Two actually:

1. Do the locals call it just Corpus? I saw a couple of instances of that in the book already.

2. Is this a Corpus thing? A Texas thing? A Bret Anthony Johnston thing? This particular character's little idiosyncrasy? I'm only 10% into the book and twice or three times already, a character says "Do what?" instead of "Pardon?" or "Excuse me?" when he didn't hear -- or pretends that he didn't hear -- what another character said. I've never heard that before and I'm kinda digging it.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:37 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,354,912 times
I'm reading 'A Failure of Capitalism' by RIchard Posner, who is a law professor, federal judge, and co-blogger with econ nobel laureate Gary Becker. It's about the crash of 2008. It's enjoyable, but for a guy who is at the U of C he does not seem to understand the nature of inflation/deflation and that relative price increases are not inflation. That is disappointing, but still the book has a lot of good analysis and is worthwhile.

Years ago I worked at a computer dealer in Chicago where his kids were customers. His kid Ken Posner wrote a great 'pong' game for the Apple II and gave me a copy. The younger kid Alex was also a brilliant prodigy. I don't remember Judge Posner ever coming into the store; I think it was the mother who usually brought them, and she was a sweetheart, as might be expected, and beautiful too.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:44 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Well this doesn't sound like my cup of tea, but I did read The Crimson Petal and the White, and it was mesmerizing. I think he wrote something else which I tried and couldn't get drawn in. It sure sounds like his newer one is a good read.
For me sometimes I realize that the subject/plot is less important to me than the draw-ability... what keeps me pushing on reading. I too have my spells of no reading or nothing really hooking me.
Well, I finished it and the book will haunt me for a long time. I have no idea how to describe it. It's also kind of like Yann Martel's book, The Life of Pi in terms of "what it is about." I bought every single line. For some reason Faber says it will be the last book he writes. I will have to google just why that is but if it was the last book I ever read, at least it would end on a high note.

I will definitely read The Crimson Petal but right now I think I'll look over the new Vanity Fair. I have to think about the book some more.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:51 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
So you made me look up this Faber dude. Totally not my kind of books... until I came to THIS one:

http://www.amazon.com/Under-Skin-Mic...6880290&sr=1-2

Interestingly, it's his first novel... and you've apparently read his last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books