Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2015, 04:06 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times

Advertisements

Here's a different kind of book I've been dipping into on and off - it is the actual diary of a girl growing up in the seventies. I'm sure I'm not the only one who had one of those diaries with a little key. I kept one for a couple of years, starting, I think, when I was twelve, which happens to be the same age that the writer's diary begins. And some years after I quit writing in them, I burned them because I feared that someone would read them. That little key those diaries came with never seemed all that secure in the face of friends and siblings who might want to break into it.

Anyway, this is the diary of a girl who didn't burn hers. She has a foreward to the book which is in and of itself, beautifully written. The actual diary entries are as simple as "E.N. talks to me sometimes" and as funny in a sweet way as "Philcivole means I love Cliff in code."

Her entries bring back a lot of memories although she is a few years older than I am.

The Kindle version is now 1.60

Miss American Pie: A Diary of Love, Secrets and Growing Up in the 1970s: Margaret Sartor: Amazon.com: Books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 05:30 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Here's a different kind of book I've been dipping into on and off - it is the actual diary of a girl growing up in the seventies. I'm sure I'm not the only one who had one of those diaries with a little key. I kept one for a couple of years, starting, I think, when I was twelve, which happens to be the same age that the writer's diary begins. And some years after I quit writing in them, I burned them because I feared that someone would read them. That little key those diaries came with never seemed all that secure in the face of friends and siblings who might want to break into it.

Anyway, this is the diary of a girl who didn't burn hers. She has a foreward to the book which is in and of itself, beautifully written. The actual diary entries are as simple as "E.N. talks to me sometimes" and as funny in a sweet way as "Philcivole means I love Cliff in code."

Her entries bring back a lot of memories although she is a few years older than I am.

The Kindle version is now 1.60

Miss American Pie: A Diary of Love, Secrets and Growing Up in the 1970s: Margaret Sartor: Amazon.com: Books
Awwww!! That would bring back memories for me too! I'm going to get that. And *read* that.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:45 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,341,957 times
Good Stock: Life on a Low Simmer by Sanford D'Amato. Pretty good, was free on Bookbub, and has recipes. Probably won't try any of the recipes, but they are interesting to read.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:47 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,418,578 times
Defending Jacob by William Landay.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:42 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,129,570 times
Ah, another Defending Jacob reader! There's been a few of us here.

Dawn, I'm with you---yes yes yes to Secret History, no to Goldfinch.

I just got done reading The Book of Unknown Americans. It was okay. Since the chapters were done in the voice of over a dozen characters, this diluted interest in the main ones. Didn't learn a lot about Latino/Latina immigrants. In this book, they were from more countries than just Mexico, but I already knew that. All were here legally, which just isn't realistic, at least here in Georgia. And I didn't get why they were "unknown Americans." In this day and age, how many of us really know our fellow Americans who may not have immigrated from another country? People performing service functions are kind of unknown to people, with the possible exception of Starbucks baristas where you may be on a first name relationship. So many of us don't know neighbors who live two doors away from us! Two of the characters lost their jobs and had difficulty finding other jobs, but that's happened to native-born Americans as well. So not a great read, but adequate enough for me to finish it.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:56 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Good Stock: Life on a Low Simmer by Sanford D'Amato. Pretty good, was free on Bookbub, and has recipes. Probably won't try any of the recipes, but they are interesting to read.
Well, this is interesting and I've been meaning to post a question about this Bookbub business. I've recently been coming across all kinds of ads for Bookbub and I was wondering what was involved and whether it was worth it to sign up or whatever you do. Is it free and you just sign up?

Old 01-28-2015, 05:38 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Knock on wood January has been filled with good books for me I just finished The Handmaid's Tale and No Place To Hide. Both were very good.

Now I am reading A Man Called Ove and yes I do like it so far.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:55 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Well, this is interesting and I've been meaning to post a question about this Bookbub business. I've recently been coming across all kinds of ads for Bookbub and I was wondering what was involved and whether it was worth it to sign up or whatever you do. Is it free and you just sign up?
It is free. You can go to their website and sign up to get emails. You get to pick the genres that you like. They send you an email every day with a few free and sale books in genres you have chosen. Most of the time they will put the date for when the sale ends (some are ongoing so they don't on those). You can also follow them on Facebook. I think it's worth it.

I should mention I am reading The Charm School by Nelson Demille. My sister mentioned it. Really liking it too.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:29 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
It is free. You can go to their website and sign up to get emails. You get to pick the genres that you like. They send you an email every day with a few free and sale books in genres you have chosen. Most of the time they will put the date for when the sale ends (some are ongoing so they don't on those). You can also follow them on Facebook. I think it's worth it.

I should mention I am reading The Charm School by Nelson Demille. My sister mentioned it. Really liking it too.
Agree!! Have downloaded many free and low price books from their suggestions. Some turned out really well, others I couldn't delete fast enough but free or $1.00 no biggie

Old 01-28-2015, 07:08 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
In regard to BOOKBUB, the daily e-mail only lists a few books, but I found out that if you click the button to update your preferences, then click to return to the daily e-mail, you will get page after page after page of listings for "free" or darn-near. Of course, a lot of them are in the romance category which I wouldn't read if that was the only print material left on Earth, but it's worth a look to see what there is to choose from (from which to choose).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books