Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2015, 09:37 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I am thanking you because I did like it. Your anxiousness to read it before you read it is why I read it.
Hahaha! Fair enough. I really am very glad that you enjoyed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 11:57 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
Has anyone read H is for Hawk yet? Fabulous reviews. No library in my system is lending it yet. I've been trying to find out online who the illustrator of the cover art is, but haven't turned up a name. It looks like the work of artist Betsy Bowen - I have two of her woodcuts. Can any of you find out who is the cover artist? And if you've read the book, do you think someone who finds most NF hard going would enjoy the book? Thanks!

BTW - I'm reading The Girl on the Train right now, and am remembering the mixed reviews of it here on this thread. So far it's just ok, IMHO, but I could get absorbed by it - we'll see!

Old 03-09-2015, 08:56 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
I finished Three Junes by Julia Glass and it was lovely. Wonderful writing, interesting story about a family over a period of about eleven years. Sweet, sad, touching and uplifting all at once. I'll definitely read more of her stuff.

Then, for a complete change of pace, I started Under the Dome by Stephen King. Haven't read anything by him in years, but am enjoying this well enough so far.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:25 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Has anyone read H is for Hawk yet? Fabulous reviews. No library in my system is lending it yet. I've been trying to find out online who the illustrator of the cover art is, but haven't turned up a name. It looks like the work of artist Betsy Bowen - I have two of her woodcuts. Can any of you find out who is the cover artist?
According to The Telegraph, it's Chris Wormell.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:27 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I finished Three Junes by Julia Glass and it was lovely. Wonderful writing, interesting story about a family over a period of about eleven years. Sweet, sad, touching and uplifting all at once. I'll definitely read more of her stuff.

Then, for a complete change of pace, I started Under the Dome by Stephen King. Haven't read anything by him in years, but am enjoying this well enough so far.
See I hated that one , glad you liked it though .

Old 03-09-2015, 01:16 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Just started All Shall be Well, and All Shall be Well, and All Manner of Things Shall be Well by Tod Wodicka, which I got for free, and which has been sitting in my to-be-read pile for a few years and never appealed to me whenever I'd go to pick my next book.

I tend to pay attention to coincidences, and that's what led me to pick this book up next. I had just been reading some medieval history, about Hildegarde of Bingen, the 12th century Christian mystic. (I tend to read something fiction and something non-fiction at the same time, and go back & forth.) When I finished my last fiction book, I perused my fiction to-be-read pile and saw on the back of this book that Hildegarde of Bingen was mentioned! How weird is that? She's not exactly an everyday topic!

So I started this book, and so far, it's really enjoyable. It's the author's first novel (next one comes out this summer). It's about a depressed and alienated older widower from NY state who is a middle ages history buff and medieval re-enactor, and he gets more and more obsessed with medieval history, and seems to be planning to escape his real life and immerse himself in his fantasy. Though a few phrases are a little overwrought, I'm enjoying the writing so far, as well as the characters. I like stories from the point of view of a loner who lives most of his life in his own head.

The title is unfortunately a long PITA, and they probably should have picked something else. It's a quote from Julian of Norwich, who was another female Christian mystic a few hundred years after Hildegarde.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:26 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I'm a few chapters into Elizabeth Gilbert's "Signature of All Things", and really loving it. She has a wonderful style. I have always resisted "Eat Pray Love", I guess next I'm going to have to devour that, too.

After writing the above, I went and checked -- Amazon users gave higher star rankings to Signature than to EPL.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:21 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I'm a few chapters into Elizabeth Gilbert's "Signature of All Things", and really loving it. She has a wonderful style. I have always resisted "Eat Pray Love", I guess next I'm going to have to devour that, too.

After writing the above, I went and checked -- Amazon users gave higher star rankings to Signature than to EPL.
I absolutely loved The Signature of All Things. My doctor recommended it to me. We talk books for a few minutes after my 6 month exams. The premise of the book did not appeal to me but I gave it a shot anyway. What a treasure. I think I will probably reread this book at some point in time.

She is the one who recommended Cutting for Stone and I found that one to be exceptional, too.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:41 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Just started All Shall be Well, and All Shall be Well, and All Manner of Things Shall be Well by Tod Wodicka, which I got for free, and which has been sitting in my to-be-read pile for a few years and never appealed to me whenever I'd go to pick my next book.

I tend to pay attention to coincidences, and that's what led me to pick this book up next. I had just been reading some medieval history, about Hildegarde of Bingen, the 12th century Christian mystic. (I tend to read something fiction and something non-fiction at the same time, and go back & forth.) When I finished my last fiction book, I perused my fiction to-be-read pile and saw on the back of this book that Hildegarde of Bingen was mentioned! How weird is that? She's not exactly an everyday topic!

So I started this book, and so far, it's really enjoyable. It's the author's first novel (next one comes out this summer). It's about a depressed and alienated older widower from NY state who is a middle ages history buff and medieval re-enactor, and he gets more and more obsessed with medieval history, and seems to be planning to escape his real life and immerse himself in his fantasy. Though a few phrases are a little overwrought, I'm enjoying the writing so far, as well as the characters. I like stories from the point of view of a loner who lives most of his life in his own head.

The title is unfortunately a long PITA, and they probably should have picked something else. It's a quote from Julian of Norwich, who was another female Christian mystic a few hundred years after Hildegarde.
This line in the above book just made me chuckle out loud (and it sounds like someone I'd be fast friends with):

She was that most delightful of anomalies: a sarcastic, ironic, fading flapper of a middle-aged American woman who knew when to drink (all the time) and when to smile (never, unless something horrible was occurring).

Old 03-09-2015, 05:54 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
Just started The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books