Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 06:12 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,942,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
This line in the above book just made me chuckle out loud (and it sounds like someone I'd be fast friends with):

She was that most delightful of anomalies: a sarcastic, ironic, fading flapper of a middle-aged American woman who knew when to drink (all the time) and when to smile (never, unless something horrible was occurring).
I *LOVE* that line!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 07:48 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,360,787 times
I picked up The Fifth Gospel by Ian Caldwell on my last stop at the library. The back cover had high praise from Baldacci and Demille but I can not understand why. I'm now reading The Cut by George Pelecanos. I'd never read anything by him before but picked up one of his based on the fact that he did some writing for HBO's The Wire which I love. So far I'm not at all disappointed but I'm clearly not very hip when it come to all the music references.

Last edited by zugor; 03-10-2015 at 08:14 AM..

Old 03-10-2015, 08:13 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,189,914 times
I finished You by Caroline Kepnes.

It was an intense book about a stalker and how much information he discovers about his victims from their social media presence. I really felt like I was inside the mind of a crazy person. The ending was expected, but not necessarily predictable, but overall a good read.

The book contains foul language (sometimes even crass) but I think it helped develop the character, so it was not out of place.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:18 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,263,682 times
I'm reading a very good one right now. Cargo Lock 5 by N.R. Burnette.

http://www.amazon.com/Cargo-Lock-5-N...s=cargo+lock+5

It's a free kindle book and it's unusual in that it is a dystopian murder mystery. Interesting combination.
Our hero is a newly promoted detective in the "New Seattle City" police department and he is not very likeable in the beginning. He is a flagrant womanizer and prestige is his goal. His goal changes because his humanity catches up with him and the result is somewhat dazzling. This all happens very quickly.

It's an unusual book. It is also extremely well written. I have not run across any poor grammar or incorrect spelling.

I mentioned it was free, right? Go fetch it. Daylight's burning. It's not like anything I have ever read before.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:06 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,014,646 times
well im going to start reading "Mrs Grant and Madame Jule " by Jennifer chiaverini ...who also wrote Mrs Lincolns dressmaker which I liked a lot and reviewed here . I will be back when I finish it .

Old 03-11-2015, 05:20 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,330,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop101 View Post
I finished You by Caroline Kepnes.

It was an intense book about a stalker and how much information he discovers about his victims from their social media presence. I really felt like I was inside the mind of a crazy person. The ending was expected, but not necessarily predictable, but overall a good read.

The book contains foul language (sometimes even crass) but I think it helped develop the character, so it was not out of place.
I have that one in transit at the library

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post

Amazon.com: Cargo Lock 5 eBook: N.R. Burnette: Kindle Store

It's a free kindle book and it's unusual in that it is a dystopian murder mystery. Interesting combination.
Our hero is a newly promoted detective in the "New Seattle City" police department and he is not very likeable in the beginning. He is a flagrant womanizer and prestige is his goal. His goal changes because his humanity catches up with him and the result is somewhat dazzling. This all happens very quickly.

It's an unusual book. It is also extremely well written. I have not run across any poor grammar or incorrect spelling.

I mentioned it was free, right? Go fetch it. Daylight's burning. It's not like anything I have ever read before.
Ooh thanks for that. It is not free today I will catch it next time around

OK..no time to get caught up and I am already behind here.

I scored yesterday at the thrift store. I picked up 12 books for $3.00.
Here are a few that I got….now they are in the wait pile as I need to get through all my library books, lol.
A Civil Action
The Kite Runner
The Trial
Tidewater Inn
Truth Stained Lies
The Lost Wife
Bel Canto

I never did get through the last books I was supposed to start…too busy getting ready for the kids to visit. Last night I started Switched Switched (Trylle Trilogy, #1) by Amanda Hocking. I should be able to read that while the kids are here.

I'll be MIA with the kids…will be back next week Wish me luck…chaos is about to erupt at my house

Old 03-11-2015, 08:20 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,014,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I have that one in transit at the library

Ooh thanks for that. It is not free today I will catch it next time around

OK..no time to get caught up and I am already behind here.

I scored yesterday at the thrift store. I picked up 12 books for $3.00.
Here are a few that I got….now they are in the wait pile as I need to get through all my library books, lol.
A Civil Action
The Kite Runner
The Trial
Tidewater Inn
Truth Stained Lies
The Lost Wife
Bel Canto

I never did get through the last books I was supposed to start…too busy getting ready for the kids to visit. Last night I started Switched Switched (Trylle Trilogy, #1) by Amanda Hocking. I should be able to read that while the kids are here.

I'll be MIA with the kids…will be back next week Wish me luck…chaos is about to erupt at my house

wow you really did score at the thrift store ...I hate you , I really do okay going to my corner now to sulk LOL .....not really just kidding with you .

Last edited by phonelady61; 03-11-2015 at 08:21 AM.. Reason: missing icon

Old 03-11-2015, 08:40 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,360,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post

Amazon.com: Cargo Lock 5 eBook: N.R. Burnette: Kindle Store

The price had gone from free to 99 cents but I had $1.58 left on my gift card so I splurged on this title.

I saw an article in the local paper that for the month of March books at the local thrift store are 5 for a buck. I'll have to go check it out next trip in to town.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:55 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,824,098 times
FINALLY,my reading slump has been broken for now!

I had tried the Kindle freebie~Five Minutes Late: A Romantic Comedy by Rich Amooi, but could not finish it.It was just too crude and vulgar for my taste.

However,proving that not all Kindle Freebies are junk,my next attempt was another Kindle freebie[I actually got all 3 books in the trilogy,as freebies]Lady Fiasco: A Humorous Traditional Regency Romance (My Notorious Aunt Book 1)by Kathleen Baldwin ,and it was a total delight,grabbing me from the first chapter through the end of the book!
I am now reading the second book~Mistaken Kiss: A Humorous Traditional Regency Romance (My Notorious Aunt Book 2), and finding it a fun read,as well. the last in the trilogy is~
Cut from the Same Cloth: A Humorous Traditional Regency Romance (My Notorious Aunt Book 3 and I'm so hoping that when I'm finished it will not be as difficult to find something else able to captivate me.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:48 PM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 9 days ago)

43,451 posts, read 44,164,940 times
I am in the middle of reading 2 different books: "Saving Grace" by Pamela Fagan Hutchins and "The Litigators" by John Grisham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books