Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2009, 11:36 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,988,140 times

Advertisements

well finally finished "Second Glance " by Jodi Picoult . Loved it but it was long so dont get if you dont like long books . LOL !! Now starting to read "Saving Fish from Drowning " By Amy Tan and I will come back when I finish that one and let you know . But would definately reccomend second glance if you are interested in spirits and ghosts and things like that . I found it an interesting read and quite intriguing .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 11:44 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,967,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well finally finished "Second Glance " by Jodi Picoult . Loved it but it was long so dont get if you dont like long books . LOL !! Now starting to read "Saving Fish from Drowning " By Amy Tan and I will come back when I finish that one and let you know . But would definately reccomend second glance if you are interested in spirits and ghosts and things like that . I found it an interesting read and quite intriguing .
Thanks for the rec phonelady! I will definitely check it out from the library when I can. Don't know when that'll be though, every single book by Jodi Picoult is currently checked out!

I'm currently reading The Ill-Made Mute by Cecilia Dart-Thornton. It's been a good read so far. It's a fantasy book with a little magic and a whole lot of mythology. The only problem I'm having is her compulsive need to describe the sun and moon. I mean, those passages are pretty and well-written as descriptions go, but she goes a bit overboard, IMO. But that's really a minor quibble.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:48 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,988,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
Thanks for the rec phonelady! I will definitely check it out from the library when I can. Don't know when that'll be though, every single book by Jodi Picoult is currently checked out!

I'm currently reading The Ill-Made Mute by Cecilia Dart-Thornton. It's been a good read so far. It's a fantasy book with a little magic and a whole lot of mythology. The only problem I'm having is her compulsive need to describe the sun and moon. I mean, those passages are pretty and well-written as descriptions go, but she goes a bit overboard, IMO. But that's really a minor quibble.
I think it is because her books are hot right now and also I always buy books second hand at the goodwill store where I live and they are 1.50 a paperback so that is an awesome find . Yeah definately worth a read for sure .I hope you get to read her soon . do you have a hold option at your library ? if so then I would try that if I were you good luck and you are welcome . I love it when folks reccomend books . Happy reading to you .

Old 07-12-2009, 11:58 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,741,874 times
Just finished "What Dreams May Come" by Richard Matheson and really want to look for a few of his other books. Though I had previously seen and enjoyed the movie of this, the book has had more of a profound effect on me than the movie ever did.

Since I don't currently have any others of his, I'm rereading KOKO by Peter Straub, though I know they are very different kinds of books. Planning on reading through Mystery and The Throat as well.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:00 PM

79 posts, read 73,864 times
Jack the Ripper.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:41 PM

256 posts, read 451,443 times
I'm finished up Cornwell's Black Notice, and will move on to The Last Precinct. When I'm through with the Cornwell Scarpetta books, I am planning to read the Sister Pelagia books by by Boris Akunin. So far, there are two of them out, with the third expected in Sept 2009:
Sister Pelagia and the White Bulldog (first)
Sister Pelagia and the Black Monks (second)
Sister Pelagia and the Red Cockerel (forthcoming)

Yummy!!

Old 07-12-2009, 01:47 PM

36,361 posts, read 15,960,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlemom View Post
I'm finished up Cornwell's Black Notice, and will move on to The Last Precinct. When I'm through with the Cornwell Scarpetta books, I am planning to read the Sister Pelagia books by by Boris Akunin. So far, there are two of them out, with the third expected in Sept 2009:
Sister Pelagia and the White Bulldog (first)
Sister Pelagia and the Black Monks (second)
Sister Pelagia and the Red Cockerel (forthcoming)

Yummy!!
I finished "Scarpetta", had a lot of trouble with "trace", when you get there. Her earlier books were much quicker reads for me.

I am just about done with "A million little pieces", I know it's old and it's not a true memoir, but it's pretty good.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:20 PM

26,144 posts, read 48,806,976 times
Just finished reading "Fewer, How the New Demography of Depopulation Will Shape Our Future" by Ben Wattenberg.

The author describes declines in birthrates, in virtually every country, even the poor ones. Though total earth population will rise for a while longer, to about 8 billion by 2050, it then begins to decline unless birth rates start going back up.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:25 AM

256 posts, read 451,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
I finished "Scarpetta", had a lot of trouble with "trace", when you get there. Her earlier books were much quicker reads for me.<SNIP>
Yes, I agree. This is my 5th (or is it my 6th or 7th?) time through the series. I re-read them every year or so. From The Last Precinct through Predator, I find the going tougher, and the plots a little artificial and strained. I have to admit that I don't much care for first person present tense or third person present tense novels. However, I have come to love Kay Scarpetta and her niece, Lucy, as well as Marino and Benton, so I tolerate the less than choice writing style, and plow through, focusing on the characters and the story.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:28 AM

4 posts, read 18,612 times
I'm finishing the last part of the Twilight Saga - Breaking Dawn

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books