Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2015, 06:03 PM

414 posts, read 910,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
The Children's Crusade by Ann Packer. I just started it but I do remember liking an earlier book of hers -- The Dive From Clausen's Pier -- so there's hope for this one.
I picked this up today and was pleasantly surprised to see on the cover that she wrote The Dive From Clausen's Pier. I remember that I liked that book, maybe even cried. I had the same thought...there's hope for this one!

Unfortunately I'm getting all my reserves in at the same time. I'm finishing up A Spool of Blue Thread and have Every Fifteen Minutes and now The Children's Crusade sitting on the table. Good thing I'm no longer working!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 06:50 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,987,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLu View Post
I picked this up today and was pleasantly surprised to see on the cover that she wrote The Dive From Clausen's Pier. I remember that I liked that book, maybe even cried. I had the same thought...there's hope for this one!

Unfortunately I'm getting all my reserves in at the same time. I'm finishing up A Spool of Blue Thread and have Every Fifteen Minutes and now The Children's Crusade sitting on the table. Good thing I'm no longer working!!
YAY!!!!! What do you mean you're no longer working? Are you also -- like Ketabcha -- retired? I'm so envious.

Whichever one you choose to read, ENJOY!!!

Old 04-17-2015, 10:39 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,247,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
when someone mentioned shingles I thought the illness of shingles LOL Im so silly I swear I hope they are fixed soon .
I thought the same.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:50 AM

414 posts, read 910,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
YAY!!!!! What do you mean you're no longer working? Are you also -- like Ketabcha -- retired? I'm so envious.

Whichever one you choose to read, ENJOY!!!
hahaha...yes, I AM retired but don't be too jealous...along with retirement goes old age! We old folks have to read up while the eyes still work!! (lol; just kidding, of course)

Old 04-18-2015, 10:46 AM

677 posts, read 850,944 times
Master and Margarita. It has been sitting on my shelf for years, but finally read it. Not in the original Russian. But the Latvian translation seemed juicy enough. Bulgakov was a master in writing this piece. Not to have it published whilst alive maybe speaks more to the character of Bulgakov than his masterpiece itself... I highly recommend this book, no matter what language you read it in.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:14 AM

7,284 posts, read 9,294,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
when someone mentioned shingles I thought the illness of shingles LOL Im so silly I swear I hope they are fixed soon .
I might have a skin case of shingles soon since they are sometimes stress related, I believe. I couldn't find anyone to fix my roof before the weekend due to the large number of claims but my insurance adjuster was just here and he found me someone and just in the nick of time. We are supposed to have high winds again tomorrow and rain (?!). And we are as dry as a bone and have had field fires and bush fires all around us for a while now. One fire is still out of control or at least I haven't heard otherwise. It's been burning for a few days but I am not sure any fire can be put out when winds are minimum 90km. One man died in a field fire. My parents were lucky that the fire near their place only burned their fields. Hopefully we get the rain we are forecast to get.

But I digress. The point is actually that my concentration is seriously affected. I finished Magic Street by Orson Scott Card and would only recommend it for children or die-hard Card fans. It was okay but it felt like he himself wasn't sure where it was going (I think the culture was out of his depth) and he was talking it out loud to himself.

I tried the sample of one of his Bible-based character books - Sarah, I think, and I just put off it from the first page. It just didn't seem like he would bring a new twist to the characters from the way they talked. It receives high marks on Amazon and I was wondering if the reason it received high marks was due to perhaps it being popular with religious people? Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I just couldn't buy how the characters talked to each other. If anyone has read those books and had a different impression, then please share. It is possible to talk me into back into books.

When I have a moment, I want to read the sample of The Children's Crusade that Tigerlily mentioned. Dawn - any first impressions to share? Remember that I actually buy the books and don't borrow them due to the Kindle not supporting library loans so make it a good one. I do have The Affinities coming up on Tuesday unless it mysteriously disappears from my Wish list like the other book, which has me doubting my sanity.

And at lunch on Tuesday, my sister-in-law highly recommended Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann. Let the Great World Spin: A Novel: Colum McCann: 9780812973990: Amazon.com: Books This is not the SIL who recommended the Queeney story but rather the SIL with whom I usually agree on books so I take her recommendation seriously. It is something or the other about people and 9/11. You know, Dawn, because it is appears to be about individual ordinary people's stories, it might be something that appeals to you?

ETA: Never mind that. It's not about 9/11. I first read the description of people staring at the Twin Towers to mean it was about 9/11. People are staring at the Twin Towers for another reason entirely.
Okay, well time to get back to work.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
When I have a moment, I want to read the sample of The Children's Crusade that Tigerlily mentioned. Dawn - any first impressions to share? Remember that I actually buy the books and don't borrow them due to the Kindle not supporting library loans so make it a good one. I do have The Affinities coming up on Tuesday unless it mysteriously disappears from my Wish list like the other book, which has me doubting my sanity.

And at lunch on Tuesday, my sister-in-law highly recommended Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann. Let the Great World Spin: A Novel: Colum McCann: 9780812973990: Amazon.com: Books This is not the SIL who recommended the Queeney story but rather the SIL with whom I usually agree on books so I take her recommendation seriously. It is something or the other about people and 9/11. You know, Dawn, because it is appears to be about individual ordinary people's stories, it might be something that appeals to you?

ETA: Never mind that. It's not about 9/11. I first read the description of people staring at the Twin Towers to mean it was about 9/11. People are staring at the Twin Towers for another reason entirely.
Okay, well time to get back to work.
Let the Great World Spin: I tried to read this. Twice. It's exactly the kind of book that I usually like, so I'm not sure why it didn't work for me. Twice. It might be a case of the third time being the charm. Maybe one day I'll test that hypothesis.

The Children's Crusade: I'm at 20% and I'm bored silly. It's a family interaction tale. Again, something that I usually like but, this time, I'm completely disinterested. I would have expected to feel an attachment to at least one of the characters so far. I couldn't care less about them, though -- they're like cardboard to me. (This is in stark contrast to the characters in A Little Life, to all of whom I felt a strong connection.)

I'm thisclose to giving up.

ETA: I gave up.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:30 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,836,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Haven't read the prequel, but I read the first one, "Obsidian" when it was offered as a Kindle freebie.
It was good enough for me to put the 2nd one "Onyx" on my watch for free list.

Young adult, fantasy science fiction romance
Bad language in it, if that bothers you.

Oh thanks for the warning.I can tolerate scattered mild cursing,but avoid books with continual cursing from the characters,and especially "F" bombs.

Since I do enjoy sci-fi/fantasy, I thought the synopsis sounded good,but unlike I usually do, I hadn't read the 1-2 star reviews,which I just did,and I see that they are not really my cup of tea. Really hate male leads that are jerks and females that are TSTL who adore them!

I am really enjoying Mariana by Susanna Kearsley, although I am learning with "time-travel" books they can be confusing at times,as to what is going on,took me a while to catch on to this one,but oh my how I love the characters and can't stand to be away from the story too long,lol!

Old 04-18-2015, 03:30 PM

I'm reading The Door by Magda Szabo. It's one of the "New York Review Books Classics" collection. I'm 10% in and it's pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/Door-NYRB-Clas...or+magda+szabo

Old 04-18-2015, 09:08 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,247,189 times
netwit and Dawn, I gave up on the TCC at 15%. I thought the writing was okay, but too drawn out for my taste. Perfect for a Julia Robert type movie which usually bore me too death.

I just finished Rachel Joyce's Perfect which I thought was well written, characters and surroundings expertly described and the premise interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books