Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2015, 06:14 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I liked Old School.
I just read the Amazon blurb on it and I feel like I read that one too. Do you remember who the writer that they vie to meet is? I feel like if you told me that it was ____________, it would confirm that I'd read it.

ETA: I just Googled it and the writer they meet is who I thought it was. I read it. Good book too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 06:35 PM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
I thought when I looked at Old School that it looked very interesting------now I am wondering if I read it too? lol. I think I will look into that AFTER I read the next 3 or 4 I have waiting!!

Old 05-02-2015, 09:09 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
I "finished" The Bookseller by Cynthia Swanson. It was less interesting than the blurb made it sound. In fact, it got so tedious (dream, real life, dream, real life... oops, wait, flip that... real life, dream, real life, dream) that I skimmed the last half. I'm glad that I did because the last quarter of it was so much like a soap opera (a really, really, REALLY bad soap opera).

I was in the library today and the only book that I could remember from my list -- because it was the last one that I added -- was Essays of E.B. White (that Pinetreelover just read). So I'm going to read that next.

Yes, yes, I *know* that many of my other "to read" books are already on my Kindle. I know that! But the library (liberry) was calling me. By name!

Old 05-03-2015, 12:37 AM

20 posts, read 21,039 times
currently reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Also really like the Harry Dresden series (fantasy/mystery), it's like harry potter for adults.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:51 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I read one book by Tobias Wolff -- his memoir, This Boy's Life. It was fabulous.
...and fabulous as well, the 1993 film with DeNiro and DiCaprio. Now I must go read the book. And seek out Old School.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:42 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I just finished Butterflies in November, and I LOVE love luuuurved it!!!!

It was translated from Icelandic, and is a kind of magical journey story. I guess the theme was something along the lines of "everything you do, and everything that happens, affects every other aspect of life. Everything is interconnected." Hard to describe, but so beautiful to read!

I'm not sure which ones of you would like this one . . . hmmm - if you like lit-ri-cha, if you like women's fiction, if you like subtle humor, if you like stories about children . . .

Anyway, I hope some of you try it, it was SO wonderful!

Well, I just searched the forum to see who had recommended this one because when I read your post, I reserved it at the library.
Since I just finished the silent sister (very good read. and again, my usual thing about the endings being a little too tidy but the read was very good).... I am starting Butterflies in November. I am about 20 pages into and not sure about it. I will read a bit more, but the jury is out. (not sure I am following but going for the journey at this point).

Old 05-03-2015, 05:51 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
I'm 81% through A Little Life. I'm surprised the writer didn't kill herself before she reached this point in the writing of it. I actually had to google her to make sure she was still alive.

(PS: I'm not saying that I hate the book)

I think it's time for me to take a break from reading to take a walk with my life-affirming dogs....

Old 05-03-2015, 11:02 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I decided to dive into Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy. I usually like Hardy.
First I have to finish books 2 and 3 of a post-apoc trilogy. No zombies in this one.
I finished A Little Life. I gave it five stars. I never want to read it again.

Having finished that apocalyptic book, what is the post apoc trilogy?

Old 05-04-2015, 04:28 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,610 times
I just finished rereading Scion of Cyador and have started Heirs of Cyador. Any other Modesitt fans here?

Old 05-04-2015, 04:35 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
what a great book ....The Zoo Story by Thomas French and if you love animals I am highly recommending this book and it was a wonderful read .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books