Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 09:10 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,299,911 times

Advertisements

I'm about to start Salem's Lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 05:08 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I don't think the first book in The Park Service series was free, Lisa. I don't really remember. It is a good book. I was hooked immediately.

Checking with amazon.com it looks like it is only available as a kindle download or a paperback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I thought I read it on Kindle Unlimited, which involves borrowing books. I think I read the entire series that way. But it was worth paying for. It was a very good trilogy.

Thank you both. I have it on my wish list

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
On my hour long commute this a.m. I kept getting distracted trying to start my audio book. So I switched back to radio & will give another go on the way home. As luck would have it, a local interviewer was talking books with a woman who (it sounds as tho) runs a library. Since I came into the conversation after it started, I'm not sure who she is. But I did hear her say this is the season for book fairs and sales! Many local libraries use this season as their fundraising opportunity to refresh their book collection by selling used books. She suggests making a few phone calls to libraries near you & inquiring about upcoming sales; and that they usually know about other sales as well. This could be habit forming; I already stumbled on The Elephant's Trunk Flea Market in CT - throw in a book fair & I will be like Billy from Family Circus taking major detours all over the northeast!
Oh yeah…I worked my local library sale last week and my other library is having their library sale on May 22. Tis the season

You can also check this:
http://www.booksalefinder.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Hi Friends and those yet to be. I'm back.
Welcome back. It is so good to see you And thank you for all the recommendations….I added a few to my list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
Yes, the butterfly effect. I think that is one of the things that has me so mesmerized by 11/22/63. So many times when I reflect upon my own life I realize that even a slight change in a day can bring unexpected consequences.
So true…that's why if you are happy "today" you should have no regrets because one change to your past would alter everything and you might be miserable today

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLu View Post
Not sure this is my "type" of book but I thought I'd mention The Martian by Andy Weir. It is HIGHLY recommended by my SIL...she couldn't stop gushing about it. So it's out there now, for anyone looking for a different story!

The Martian by Andy Weir | 9780553418026 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble
It's not my kind of book either but I loved it

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I just finished The Girl on the Train. What was all the fuss about? Those were the most unlikeable, under-developed characters. I had heard so many comparisons to Gone Girl, but it didn't even come close. Bleh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
The only comparison I can think of is that I did not like any of the characters in either book.
Ugh…that;s what I'm afraid of….wasted time reading a bad book. I will still give it a try…once I get it from my library

I just finished Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane. Talk about a psychological thriller. It was very good and kind of creepy.

Next up is a buddy read. My buddy and I are reading Intensity by Dean Koontz together.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:47 AM

496 posts, read 395,364 times
I finished 11/22/63 last evening and wow, what a great read. I loved the characters in the book and the ending was wonderful. So onto a new read.

I just don't know what it will be. ALL is on my TR list but I don't want to start that until the sale of my business is complete, that way if I cry or stay awake until the wee hours I won't have to get up for work.

I considered the last book in the Miss Buncle series but I'm not in the mood for that. Maybe The Martian?

Old 05-07-2015, 02:23 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,449,008 times
I'm reading "The Scarlet Letter." I somehow got through high school and college without having to read it, so this is the first time for me.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:06 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,757,886 times
younglisa7 Thank you so much for the bookfindersale link. I had been looking for something like that.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:52 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
NEW BOOK ALERT!!! Release date: 7/7/15

I saw something posted on Facebook that said:
"Gone Girl + The Secret History = Bradstreet Gate!"

Of course my eyes rolled far back in my head because it seems that, these days, if a book is NOT compared to Gone Girl, then it's not worth talking about.

At least Amazon didn't stoop to that (this time):
"A tour de force debut about a campus murder for readers of Donna Tartt, Meg Wolitzer, and Jeffrey Eugenides"

I've never read or been interested in Meg Wolitzer books, but Donna Tartt and Jeffrey Eugenides are lures for me. I've already requested that my library get the book. Even though "murder mysteries" ain't my cup of tea, this one -- at least from the description -- runs deeper than that.

It's called Bradstreet Gate by Robin Kirman.

Bradstreet Gate: A Novel: Robin Kirman: 9780804139311: Amazon.com: Books

And, since I am like the quintessential rabbit going down the hole when it comes to click-click-clicking, going deep, deep, deeper down the Interwebz well, I saw THIS book linked beneath the Bradstreet Gate synopsis and, even though it's fantasy-afterlife-blahblahblah, I requested it from my library too. BAH! It never ends. Here's that second book:

Boo by Neil Smith

Boo (Vintage Contemporaries) - Kindle edition by Neil Smith. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:56 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
I've been working like a demon on the yard and in the garden. Anyway, I have started a number of books at the end of the day but my eyes would be crossing before I finished the sample, not due to boredom but bone weariness. For a while I thought I would be reading Hild by Nicola Griffith but actually I am too tired to know what I'm reading. We got rain overnight and I've been sleeping. Hild is the story of St Hilda, circa 680CE. It isn't a religious book, just that it is an imagined story of the abbess based on legends and some facts. It seems to be very highly researched and I vaguely recall someone here asking for recommendations of books like that.

I may still be reading Hild - I'll decide when I'm no longer quite so tired.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:50 PM

496 posts, read 395,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post

Of course my eyes rolled far back in my head because it seems that, these days, if a book is NOT compared to Gone Girl, then it's not worth talking about.

"A tour de force debut about a campus murder for readers of Donna Tartt, Meg Wolitzer, and Jeffrey Eugenides"

I've never read or been interested in Meg Wolitzer books, but Donna Tartt and Jeffrey Eugenides are lures for me. I've already requested that my library get the book. Even though "murder mysteries" ain't my cup of tea, this one -- at least from the description -- runs deeper than that.

And, since I am like the quintessential rabbit going down the hole when it comes to click-click-clicking, going deep, deep, deeper down the Interwebz well, I saw THIS book linked beneath the Bradstreet Gate synopsis and, even though it's fantasy-afterlife-blahblahblah, I requested it from my library too. BAH! It never ends. Here's that second book:

Boo by Neil Smith

Boo (Vintage Contemporaries) - Kindle edition by Neil Smith. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.
I don't know what the fascination is with Gone Girl. I read it some time ago and I didn't like it at all. I must be in the minority though as I often hear people saying it was a great book. SMH.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:44 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post

Boo by Neil Smith

Excuse me? You have ordered a book called Boo?

Old 05-07-2015, 06:01 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Excuse me? You have ordered a book called Boo?
Not exactly. I have requested that my library procure a book called Boo (along with Bradstreet Gate).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books