Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2015, 08:47 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,923,088 times

Advertisements

I'm reading Our Souls at Night, the newest by Kent Haruf.

Our Souls at Night: A novel - Kindle edition by Kent Haruf. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

I was put off from the get-go. The book STARTS with the word "And" ... and, exactly, it felt like I walked into the middle of a movie. It's very staccato and there are no segues -- it's blunt and abrupt and "just the facts, ma'am; just the facts." Who are these people? How did they get to where they are? Details! Give me SOMETHING! But, no. I gots nuttin'!

It's a very short book (just 188 pages) so I figured I'd give it a shot beyond the first few pages and, yup, details start to emerge while Addie and Louis tell each other about their lives. I can't say that I'm buying the premise of how these two "got together" but I'm at 25% now and I'm learning more about them and I want to learn more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 09:07 PM

7,247 posts, read 9,251,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm reading Our Souls at Night, the newest by Kent Haruf.

Our Souls at Night: A novel - Kindle edition by Kent Haruf. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

I was put off from the get-go. The book STARTS with the word "And" ... and, exactly, it felt like I walked into the middle of a movie. It's very staccato and there are no segues -- it's blunt and abrupt and "just the facts, ma'am; just the facts." Who are these people? How did they get to where they are? Details! Give me SOMETHING! But, no. I gots nuttin'!

It's a very short book (just 188 pages) so I figured I'd give it a shot beyond the first few pages and, yup, details start to emerge while Addie and Louis tell each other about their lives. I can't say that I'm buying the premise of how these two "got together" but I'm at 25% now and I'm learning more about them and I want to learn more.
Isn't that a book that was compiled after his death? That could account for the disjointed feeling. But I could be wrong. Thought I had read something like that.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:07 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,513,436 times
I gave up on "Worthy Brown's Daughter" it was flat and melodramatic. I kept waiting for Simon Legree to arrive and toss Heather Griffin on the tracks.

Tomorrow I will begin "The Story Teller" by Margaret Coel.

Good night.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:58 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,232,710 times
Freedom to Die by Stephen Selke actually a friend of mine so im super proud of him for writing a book!
It has a very supernatural like start to it so im liking it so far

Old 06-21-2015, 02:33 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,252,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I've read three of his books and they were total delights. He captured the aura of small town America beautifully. I didn't want any of them to end. We lost a great writer when he died last year.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:45 AM

14,695 posts, read 8,014,325 times
Just started Everville by Clive Barker

Old 06-21-2015, 02:52 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,815,134 times
Finished Cell by Robin Cook.In these days of Obamacare,this book is very timely and terrifying!

Gripping read that would have been a one-sitting read.... unputdownable if my teen granddaughter wasn't visiting and keeping me busy.

Goes on my list of favorite 5-star reads!

Could have done without the scattered "F" bombs, and bedroom scenes, though thankfully, no details.

One pretty gruesome scene.

Great writing makes the nanotechnology understandable,and the character development is done very well.

Highly recommended for those who love suspense-thrillers!

Next up...either a suspense by Nora Roberts or Creepers by David Morrell On a cold October night, five people gather in a run-down motel on the Jersey shore and begin preparations to break into the Paragon Hotel. Built in the glory days of Asbury Park by a reclusive millionaire, the magnificent structure - which foreshadowed the beauties of art deco architecture - is now boarded up and marked for demolition.

The five people are "creepers," the slang term for urban explorers: city archeologists with a passion for investigating abandoned buildings and their dying secrets. On this evening, they are joined by a reporter who wants to profile them - anonymously, as this is highly illegal activity - for a New York Times article.

Frank Balenger, a sandy-haired, broad-shouldered reporter with a decided air of mystery about him, isn't looking for just a story, however. And after the group enters the rat-infested tunnel leading to the hotel, it becomes clear that he will get much more than he bargained for. Danger, terror, and death await the creepers in a place ravaged by time and redolent of evil.

Old 06-21-2015, 03:05 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,171,175 times
Binge read Jana Deleon's Louisiana Longshot series. LOVED IT. Total mind candy but hilarious. Finished that in a couple of days bc it was so funny.
Finishing Jennie Bentley's DIY mysteries right now. It's ok. Ok enough to keep me reading.

Waiting for some new stuff to drop, but I'd read the phone book if Alexander McCall Smith wrote it.

Old 06-21-2015, 03:24 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,225,911 times
I read more than one at a time. My list this month is:

Zoo by James Patterson

Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella

Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

MaddAdam by Margaret Atwood.

The most interesting right now is Shopaholic. Quite funny.

Old 06-21-2015, 03:28 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,171,175 times
I read that Mindy Kaling book a couple weeks back. Enjoyed that more than I was expecting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books