Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2015, 06:44 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
What didn't you like about it, Dawn? It's still on my queue---and I was thinking about attending his lecture at the book festival, but may need to rethink this, depending on your answer....it all rests upon you now...a big responsibility, but I know you can handle it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
That's too bad. Bettyville looked good.
LOL!

I just didn't like his writing style at all. Then, when I read the poor reviews on Amazon, what bugged those reviewers would have definitely bugged me too, so I figured that I'd cut my losses.

You guys might like it, so I don't want to sway you. Get it from the library and give it a try. It just didn't work for me, right from the get-go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 06:46 AM

I just started Florence Gordon by Brian Morton. So far, so good.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:22 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I am reading Forever by Pete Hamill and enjoying it very much.
One of my favorites.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:07 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
I just finished listening to "How to Save a Life" by Sara Zarr, and without trying to mimic K' -- I didn't want it to end. It's one thing to say a book is well-written, or I liked the characters, but Ms Zarr's characters were ME. No, not "me" but so real that I could personally related to each of them. I could feel Robin's desire to start life over by adopting Mandy's baby in response to her husband's unexpected death. I could feel Jill's anger and frustration at who she'd become when her father was no longer there. And -- well, frankly I could feel the urgency of Mandy's necessary escape from her abusive "family" to find a better life for herself and her baby. The exchanges were so real that I flinched at the inflicted pains.

It didn't "feel" like a YA story. It was too mature for that, or maybe it is more real YA than the other YA's. Whatever. I loved it. I just loved it.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:12 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I just finished listening to "How to Save a Life" by Sara Zarr, and without trying to mimic K' -- I didn't want it to end. It's one thing to say a book is well-written, or I liked the characters, but Ms Zarr's characters were ME. No, not "me" but so real that I could personally related to each of them. I could feel Robin's desire to start life over by adopting Mandy's baby in response to her husband's unexpected death. I could feel Jill's anger and frustration at who she'd become when her father was no longer there. And -- well, frankly I could feel the urgency of Mandy's necessary escape from her abusive "family" to find a better life for herself and her baby. The exchanges were so real that I flinched at the inflicted pains.

It didn't "feel" like a YA story. It was too mature for that, or maybe it is more real YA than the other YA's. Whatever. I loved it. I just loved it.
Feel free to mimic me whenever you want to.
I love your description of the book.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:44 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,139 times
I just finished an incredible book: Life Drawing by Robin Black. It's her first novel; she had a book of short stories previously.

Wow.
WOW.
WOW!!!!!!!

This was amazingly written. (I did have to look up a few vocabulary words---palimpsest, for one, but I kind of like that.) The characters, the writing, the insights, the dialogue, the atmosphere. Some sites bill it as a psychological thriller. I'm not sure about that. I was thrilled by it and there was lots of psychology, but it wasn't a typical sitting at the edge of your seat thriller---more like being incredibly invested in and curious about whether the marriage implodes and whether some characters get what they deserve. It's about a marriage between a painter and a writer, where she betrayed him by having an affair. They have agreed to stay together, but even years later, their marriage is troubled. A woman moves in next door and disrupts their insular life---and then her young adult daughter comes...and you can guess the rest, although you will never see the ending coming. It's about art, life, marriage, friendship, mother-daughter relationships, aging, and so on. Mainly it's about the decisions we make and the behaviors e engage in and their consequences---and how everyone can be a little guilty.

I'm not doing justice to it. Check out the critical reviews, like this one:

Life Drawing by Robin Black review

Old 07-04-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I just finished an incredible book: Life Drawing by Robin Black. It's her first novel; she had a book of short stories previously.
I read that a little while ago -- I also liked it a lot.

Speaking of which, I'm almost finished one of your recommendations -- Florence Gordon. LOVE! I'm reading the end slowly -- stop and start -- because I don't want it to end.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:18 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Happy 4th of July…stay safe

Yesterday I started Merchants of Doubt This is a heavy book with a lot of facts and proof to back it up. It shows how businesses and/or our government hire scientists to cause doubt in proven theories. It is then sold to the American public as fact. So far I have read about RJ Reynolds and how cigarettes "don't" cause cancer, and also George H W Bush working for Ronald Reagan and their SDI program which cost the US $60 billion on lies. Interesting read about how we are duped into believing lies. I can't wait to read more but it is very slow. I need to absorb a lot of names and information.
Hope you and all the readers here,enjoyed their 4th.I had a nice relaxing reading day.Am reading and very much enjoying~Tsunami Storm- The US has launched secret weapons of mass destruction on other countries. And awaits what might be cataclysmic retaliation…

China is devastated by an 8.0M earthquake that leaves 70,000 people dead with hundreds of thousands injured and untold property destroyed. The Chinese government soon learns that it was no natural disaster, but rather an orchestrated attack by the American government using their High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program (HAARP) weapon. China ceases foreign relations with America and creates their own version of the weapon in retaliation. They plan to attack the US by sending a submarine with mini nuke mines to create a massive rupture of the Cascadia Subduction Zone.

Needless to say[consiracy theorist that I am] Merchants Of Doubt went on my 'must read now list',lol!

Old 07-05-2015, 04:35 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
I am currently reading The Sound Of Glass by Karen White. It's a family drama type book although there is very little family left. So far I like it.

Still reading Merchants of Doubt and really enjoying it. I am up to Acid Rain and it's effects.

I also finished Insanity Plea which was about a very interesting trial. The paid professional witness was quite remarkable…in a bad way.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:37 AM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,139 times
Dawn, isn't Florence Gordon excellent? Who shall we cast to play the lead role in the movie?

One of my favorite recent nights was spent reading Florence Gordon at an outdoor jazz concert. Rather than sit on the concrete in the crowd, my husband and I sat in the adjacent park under a tree, where we could still hear the music. There were also some birds chirping and a fountain gurgling. Brought good food to eat. That is my idea of a quality Saturday night!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books