Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2015, 04:46 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I just finished listening to "How to Save a Life" by Sara Zarr, and without trying to mimic K' -- I didn't want it to end. It's one thing to say a book is well-written, or I liked the characters, but Ms Zarr's characters were ME. No, not "me" but so real that I could personally related to each of them. I could feel Robin's desire to start life over by adopting Mandy's baby in response to her husband's unexpected death. I could feel Jill's anger and frustration at who she'd become when her father was no longer there. And -- well, frankly I could feel the urgency of Mandy's necessary escape from her abusive "family" to find a better life for herself and her baby. The exchanges were so real that I flinched at the inflicted pains.

It didn't "feel" like a YA story. It was too mature for that, or maybe it is more real YA than the other YA's. Whatever. I loved it. I just loved it.
Thank you for the review. I added it to my tr list

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I just finished an incredible book: Life Drawing by Robin Black. It's her first novel; she had a book of short stories previously.

Wow.
WOW.
WOW!!!!!!!
Sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Speaking of which, I'm almost finished one of your recommendations -- Florence Gordon. LOVE! I'm reading the end slowly -- stop and start -- because I don't want it to end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Hope you and all the readers here,enjoyed their 4th.I had a nice relaxing reading day.Am reading and very much enjoying~Tsunami Storm- The US has launched secret weapons of mass destruction on other countries. And awaits what might be cataclysmic retaliation…

China is devastated by an 8.0M earthquake that leaves 70,000 people dead with hundreds of thousands injured and untold property destroyed. The Chinese government soon learns that it was no natural disaster, but rather an orchestrated attack by the American government using their High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program (HAARP) weapon. China ceases foreign relations with America and creates their own version of the weapon in retaliation. They plan to attack the US by sending a submarine with mini nuke mines to create a massive rupture of the Cascadia Subduction Zone.

Needless to say[consiracy theorist that I am] Merchants Of Doubt went on my 'must read now list',lol!

It is good and sobering.

Tsunami Storm sounds good. I added it to my list. Did you know China is building an Island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 05:44 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Thank you for the review. I added it to my tr list

Sounds good.

Tsunami Storm sounds good. I added it to my list. Did you know China is building an Island?
I got Tsunami Storm[it's very good] June 10th as a Kindle Freebie. I'm sorry I didn't think to ask you if you might be interested in it.

No, I sure didn't know that China is building an island! Just did a search on it,it's in disputed waters yet,and big enough for an airstrip,plus they want to build a harbor there,as well.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:59 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,417,559 times
God Is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
I got Tsunami Storm[it's very good] June 10th as a Kindle Freebie. I'm sorry I didn't think to ask you if you might be interested in it.

No, I sure didn't know that China is building an island! Just did a search on it,it's in disputed waters yet,and big enough for an airstrip,plus they want to build a harbor there,as well.
We can't remember everything I will try and catch it next time. Yeah…we need to beware of China. They are a smart people. As my DH says…slow and steady like the turtle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
How is it? You might also like The God Virus: How religion infects our lives and culture. One of my PIFM buddies read it and she liked it.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:53 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,417,559 times
Thanks, younglisa7.
I'm actually listening to it and find that his voice could make anything sound wonderful. Also read and listened to The End Of Faith by Sam Harris. Will check out your friend's suggestion.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Thanks, younglisa7.
I'm actually listening to it and find that his voice could make anything sound wonderful. Also read and listened to The End Of Faith by Sam Harris. Will check out your friend's suggestion.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:59 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I read that a little while ago -- I also liked it a lot.

Speaking of which, I'm almost finished one of your recommendations -- Florence Gordon. LOVE! I'm reading the end slowly -- stop and start -- because I don't want it to end.
I just made recommendation for this book to library for the Kindle. From the sample, I'm already in love with Florence
Florence's personality somewhat reminds me of Olive Kitteridge.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:18 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Dawn, isn't Florence Gordon excellent? Who shall we cast to play the lead role in the movie?

One of my favorite recent nights was spent reading Florence Gordon at an outdoor jazz concert. Rather than sit on the concrete in the crowd, my husband and I sat in the adjacent park under a tree, where we could still hear the music. There were also some birds chirping and a fountain gurgling. Brought good food to eat. That is my idea of a quality Saturday night!
Judi Dench with a New York accent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I just made recommendation for this book to library for the Kindle. From the sample, I'm already in love with Florence
Florence's personality somewhat reminds me of Olive Kitteridge.
I just finished it a minute ago. You're going to love her until the end. Even past the end.

Yes! She has that Olive Kitteridge abrasiveness.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:29 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Quote:
As a former evangelical Christian,now a non-believer,I was afraid to read anything by Hitchens as I had read in Amazon reviews of his books that he can be quite harsh,have you found him to be so?

Anyway,I chickened out and chose ~Why I Believed: Reflections of a Former Missionary by Kenneth W. Daniels

This is a story of a true Christian who believed for nearly three decades, having grown up the son of evangelical missionary parents, later becoming a missionary himself. Yet he slowly lost his faith and now no longer holds it.

http://www.amazon.com/Why-Believed-R...Why+I+Believed

I chose it because I too became a non-believer after decades of what I now consider 'self-delusion',except for his parent's being missionaries,and himself becoming one,our stories of discovering truth,are so similar. I also know that many,many,missionaries lose their faith while on the mission field and churches must constantly recruit new ones.

Others that are my favorites are~Farewell to God: My Reasons for Rejecting the Christian Faith by Charles Templeton If you don't know the name of Charles Templeton .... before Billy Graham became a famous evangelist,there was Charles Templeton. Billy became an associate and close friend,and they remained life-long friends,even after Charles left the faith.

Farewell to God: My Reasons for Rejecting the Christian Faith: Charles Templeton: 9780771085086: Amazon.com: Books

Also love~Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon by Daniel C. Dennett Breaking the spell did an awesome job of showing the similarities of religion to mythology and superstition,in easy to understand language,and that is where I found the greatest enlightenment and value.

Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon: Daniel C. Dennett: 9780143038337: Amazon.com: Books

The Book Your Church Doesn't Want You to Read by Tim C. Leedom
Makes so very clear the 'Mythology' of Christianity in easy to understand language
The Book your Church Doesn't Want You to Read so easily shows how 'all' religions evolved from paganism, mythology, superstition,and man's 'fear of death'.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/093...6YW3HWK55XCGG2

Society Without God: What the Least Religious Nations Can Tell Us about Contentment by Phil Zuckerman

Totally fascinating look at how the citizens of some secular non religious countries,especially the Scandinavian ones have the highest quality of life on this planet.

The author focused mostly on Denmark and Sweden.They have a welfare state with free healthcare, virtually no poverty, low crime rate, and some of the least disparity between the rich and poor.

Life there is certainly nothing like how religious leaders like Pat Robertson,and Jerry Falwell said a society without God would be like!

Society without God: What the Least Religious Nations Can Tell Us About Contentment: Phil Zuckerman: 9780814797143: Amazon.com: Books

Old 07-05-2015, 01:27 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
I just finished listening to Dr. (Phd) Bruce Lipton's Lecture series on audiobook, "The Wisdom of Your Cells."

OMG. EVERY person capable of understanding English, over the age of 15 would benefit for listening to this audiobook. Dr. Lipton is a cellular biologist that discovered the physical effects that our perceptions cause in our cells. He describes how our cells' membranes perceive their environment and trigger their cellular responses -- and then goes on to describe how we human individuals are not individuals at all -- BUT a community of cells all responding to OUR perceptions, internally.

He describes how our subconscious controls 95% of our behaviors, and how our subconscious and physical development begins being programmed during our fetal development -- and continues to respond to our environment through our perceptions ALL the Days of our life. In short, our perceptions about what is going on in our lives is having a very real and immediate effect in our bodies that can lead to good or ill health, based on those perceptions. (We are what we think.)

If you are a parent, plan to be a parent, or feel like you are not living the life you've wanted -- this is for you. If you are looking at your future and are not certain it will be what you want, this is for you. If you are facing physical disorder, this is for you. If you are concerned about the future of the human race, this is for you.

If you don't like listening to audiobooks, this book is for you:
The Biology of Belief: Unleashing the Power of Consciousness, Matter, & Miracles: Bruce H. Lipton: 9781401923129: Amazon.com: Books

Don't know what the next audiobook will be, but I do know I am adding Florence Gordon to my TRL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books