Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2015, 05:31 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times

Advertisements

It's such a tiny book (less than 150 pages), I've had it for two days already, and I'm only halfway through The Pecan Man. That is absolutely NO indication of whether I like it, though -- I'm really, really, REALLY enjoying it. I just have no time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 06:39 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Yay. Congratulations. Isn't it exciting? It takes a lot of sign ups to win a book, lol.

It was funny.I came home from running errands and there was a book in one of those cardboard sleeves,and I knew I had just ordered~The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels--A Love Story by Ree Drummond [My absolute favorite romance story]two days ago,so it didn't have time to arrive yet. When I unwrapped ~The Secret Of Blackjack Woods,the title sounded familiar but I knew[or I was pretty sure] I hadn't ordered it,so I looked at my Amazon orders,and nope not there.
Then I went to goodreads,couldn't find anything there except it was on my want to read list,so then I checked my email,and there was the notice that I had won from goodreads,haha!

Old 07-08-2015, 06:41 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,780 times
Quote:
I have added those to my list and I will now go on to research more about HAAARP. Thanks for that

BTW, your link did not work for me.

Which link didn't work for you?

The HAARP one try this it's running for me now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJVw-EcENl4

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 07-08-2015 at 07:12 AM..

Old 07-08-2015, 06:44 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Hi, new to this thread...thought I'd post about a book I didn't intend to read but did. I borrowed a Kindle from my public library to see how it feels reading from one. One of the free books offered is A Train in Winter: An Extraordinary Story of Women, Friendship, and Resistance in Occupied France by Caroline Moorehead. After opening the first chapter, I was transfixed reading it. I think the most amazing true story I've ever read, though some facts (not about the women themselves) in it are disputed. Homebound with an injured foot, I didn't put it down till nearly finished. Has anyone else read this and what do you think?
Hi and welcome to this thread!!

I will look that book up as it sounds like my cuppa

Old 07-08-2015, 07:23 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times
Quote:
I am "still" on my library's wait list for The stranger. I hope it is worth it
I am at 37% and I am really enjoying it. It is all still a mystery to me. Too many times, at this point, I've figured it out or have it narrowed down enough that soon I will have it figured out.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:56 PM

496 posts, read 395,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Let's do all our posts in acronyms.

LDAOPIA.

It'll keep the riffraff away.

IKTRA.

PS. I edit technical material for a high-tech company whose name you all know. Every day is like swimming in alphabet soup. They love their acronyms! TLTA!
Lordy Dawn, I don't even like acronyms but my sheer laziness wins out every darn time! Please take it easy on me.....I am selling my company and if I was stressed out before I am now double stressed. There is just tooooooo much to wrap up in the final days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I thought everyone already was. I don't know what books people are talking about half the time.
Netwit, see above! I promise, it is sheer laziness on my part but I also promise on my honor that as soon as the transaction is complete I will use full titles when I refer to a book. That is unless it's TGLAPPPS! LOL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Hi, new to this thread...thought I'd post about a book I didn't intend to read but did. I borrowed a Kindle from my public library to see how it feels reading from one. One of the free books offered is A Train in Winter: An Extraordinary Story of Women, Friendship, and Resistance in Occupied France by Caroline Moorehead. After opening the first chapter, I was transfixed reading it. I think the most amazing true story I've ever read, though some facts (not about the women themselves) in it are disputed. Homebound with an injured foot, I didn't put it down till nearly finished. Has anyone else read this and what do you think?
Welcome newenglandgirl, you are in for a treat. This is a fabulous and funny group!

Old 07-08-2015, 01:25 PM

7,364 posts, read 5,478,151 times
Whoever suggested 'The Girls ' by Lori Lansens, thank you! I am almost done reading it and it is a wonderful, funny, lovely read! I haven't enjoyed a story like this in a long time!

Old 07-08-2015, 01:44 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
I'm slowing down in the middle of The Stern Men. I want to kick Ruth in the tush. She is annoying me with her complete lack of gumption.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:57 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Hi and welcome to this thread!!

I will look that book up as it sounds like my cuppa
Keep a box of tissues by your side. It is a piece of the war seldom told, and heartbreaking as it all was.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:01 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I thought everyone already was. I don't know what books people are talking about half the time.
Well, new to this fast-paced thread, I'm wondering how you all keep up with each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books