Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2015, 09:32 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I am always in awe of how much you guys (I think it's probably about 98% ladies?) read.
I think I would say on average I probably read 2 books a month. On occasion if I have more time, or am really grabbed by the book I can be a lot quicker, but that seems to be my style.
I am in awe of how consistent you guys are!!
I am still reading Confederacy of Dunces- really enjoying it but just haven't had much time to read. (I guess it's that I haven't made much time to read).........
I think you are correct, Mayvenne. I think most of us are female (I am). I am also much like you, I spend most of my days in household tasks, errands, and sewing quilts for Project Linus. I listen to audiobooks while I work, or drive, read books while I eat alone, and sometimes in the evening if I have enough energy. Lots of evenings I don't.

No matter how much you read, or don't, your voice is always welcome here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Me too. I'm new to it and it's like riding a roller coaster. I get my Kindle PW this weekend and will have to get up to speed.
No pressures here, my dear. Just read at your natural pace and keep us posted on what you like, or not, and why if you feel like it. We're all doing the same. Some of us are just faster, some (like me) are not, but we all love a good story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
... I read a lot ... Between here and goodreads I add about 3 books a day. There is "no" way I can ever read that many books. Yes I am addicted to reading and hearing about reviews.

I am reading The Liar by Nora Roberts(I used to love Nora Roberts books) and so far it is a great read. ... It's one of those feel good small towns The way everyone knows everyone else and if you go into town for one thing you end up being out for hours. It remind me of my town here in TN
You certainly DO! And I am glad because a great many titles on my TRL are from your reading lists!

I am going to look into "The Liar," though I haven't had much luck with Nora's works. I just cannot seem to get into the Romance genre. Seems like they are so often sappy, and the women make such awful choices.

This is the only place where I trust the reviews, so that's why I am always asking "How did you like it?" I use Goodreads to keep track of what I've read and what I thought of them because so often I forget and I don't like re-reading -- especially when I find I don't like them AGAIN!

[quote=i_love_autumn;40367940]I finished the YA Bigfoot adventure book that I won in the goodreads- first reads book giveaway.Which was such a surprise because though it was on my 'want to read' list I hadn't entered a giveaway for it.There was none[as far as I know],so I was really surprised to get this book in the mail,lol![quote]
I think there is a setting in GR that enables them to enter your WTR titles "automagically."
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
The Secret Of Blackjack Woods by Ashlen Brown,was a 5-star read for me.So sweet because of the really nice, loving family members,and such a fun adventure story.
Ditto from "The Liar" comments. I like real family fiction, but when they are overly nice I just cannot buy into it -- probably my jaded perspective based on my impressions from my own friends and family. I rarely talk with people that are raving about how much they love their loved ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 10:05 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry

Quote:
I think there is a setting in GR that enables them to enter your WTR titles "automagically."
Love that word "automagically" and have added it to my vocabulary,lol!

Quote:
I like real family fiction, but when they are overly nice I just cannot buy into it -- probably my jaded perspective based on my impressions from my own friends and family. I rarely talk with people that are raving about how much they love their loved ones.
I only feel that way, if it feels phony, otherwise I much, much prefer nice people/kids,over SNARKY/HATEFUL talking kids like those on the Rosanne show! Growing up I never knew any kids like that,nor would it have been tolerated in those days[50's-60's], let alone engaged in by anyone that I knew!

Old 07-11-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Love that word "automagically" and have added it to my vocabulary,lol!

LFM: You are welcome to it. I started using it when I was working in software implementations and so many of my clients' employees were asking questions about the workings of the software rather than focusing on how to USE it. It seemed to satisfy.

I only feel that way, if it feels phony, otherwise I much, much prefer nice people/kids,over SNARKY/HATEFUL talking kids like those on the Rosanne show! Growing up I never knew any kids like that,nor would it have been tolerated in those days[50's-60's], let alone engaged in by anyone that I knew!
Yes, I prefer nice, too. Sadly I came from a demographic where most parents were over-worked and by the time they got home to their kids they were not so nice either. I suspect it's a cycle that is perpetuated, like physical abuse. As I reached my late 20s it was actually a surprise to me that there were kids and parents that liked each other and didn't just view each other as burdens. It's why I support birth control.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:32 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,111,409 times
Just read this page, lots more to go..... so many wonderful-sounding books! I need to make a list.

I have been reading over the years David Baldacci, Michael Connelly, Brian Meltzer, so many more can't remember names. I tend to enjoy action/mystery stories. Government-related. Have never really enjoyed the Steele books or that kind of writing.

I am a slow reader, have some difficulties with my eyes so can't read for hours. I know about the audio books... but I think I would miss holding a book. Does that make sense?

Have you ever had a friend insist you read a book, send it to you, and it's not your "kind" of read? I always say thank you, but then the book sits until I give it away.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Yes, I prefer nice, too. Sadly I came from a demographic where most parents were over-worked and by the time they got home to their kids they were not so nice either. I suspect it's a cycle that is perpetuated, like physical abuse. As I reached my late 20s it was actually a surprise to me that there were kids and parents that liked each other and didn't just view each other as burdens. It's why I support birth control.
Awww so sorry to hear that(((((((((((hug)))))))))),and I am definitely with you on the birth control!

Old 07-11-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Just read this page, lots more to go..... so many wonderful-sounding books! I need to make a list.

I have been reading over the years David Baldacci, Michael Connelly, Brian Meltzer, so many more can't remember names. I tend to enjoy action/mystery stories. Government-related. Have never really enjoyed the Steele books or that kind of writing.

I am a slow reader, have some difficulties with my eyes so can't read for hours. I know about the audio books... but I think I would miss holding a book. Does that make sense?

Have you ever had a friend insist you read a book, send it to you, and it's not your "kind" of read? I always say thank you, but then the book sits until I give it away.
I think the only way I could listen to an audio book would be while on a trip,riding in the car or back when I was a gardener,while I was working in my flower beds..Otherwise I just can't sit and listen,and I can read so much faster,than listening to a story.

I have never had a friend send me a book,thankfully,because it's hard enough when they recommend one,that I know is not something I would like.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:34 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:

I understand why audio books do not appeal to you but do you have a kindle?
There is a free kindle book today that I think you might like. I'm basing this on the list of authors you enjoy.

http://www.amazon.com/Looks-That-Dec...s+that+deceive

Old 07-11-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:

How you get your stories is always individual. Welcome to this forum. Glad to have you here!

As for books recommended by friends: I've never found my tastes to be that which my friends think that they are. Only my sister has been successful in that regard, which is odd because our reading tastes are completely opposite. (Maybe she chooses books she would hate? )

Quote:
(((((((((((hug))))))))))
Thanks, ILA, -- really I didn't mean to make you feel sorry, just explaining how warm, loving families can read as contrived.

I think one of the reasons why I love Maeve Binchy's works is that her characters are all flawed, they all have problems, and they still manage to turn situations to work for them without hurting others. Ms. Binchy obviously liked people from all walks of life. The story I am reading now ("Heart and Soul") includes real life problems like poor immigrants trying to overcome past life traumas, demented, or just embarrassing parents, etc. Somehow, reading stories like these help me to understand how to be not just human, but humane, if that makes sense.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:01 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,965,744 times
I'd like to reread Corelli's Mandolin.

"The place is the Greek island of Cephallonia, where gods once dabbled in the affairs of men and the local saint periodically rises from his sarcophagus to cure the mad. Then the tide of World War II rolls onto the island's shores in the form of the conquering Italian army..." It's also a love story.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:25 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,111,409 times
I bought a Nook at Barnes and Noble. It works quite well. But still enjoy the book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books