Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2015, 08:19 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times

Advertisements

I'm reading While I'm Falling by Laura Moriarty, who wrote The Centre of Everything, which I loved. I just couldn't get into the sort-of-sequel right after The Centre of Everything, and now I am riveted.

PS: How do people give half a star on Amazon? I haven't noticed any way to give less than a full star.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 08:31 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

PS: How do people give half a star on Amazon? I haven't noticed any way to give less than a full star.
You can't. I've seen people write, in their review text, "3.5 stars" ... but they have to choose 3 or 4 stars.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:48 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
You can't. I've seen people write, in their review text, "3.5 stars" ... but they have to choose 3 or 4 stars.
I could have sworn I saw some books with half a star....

Old 07-15-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
I could have sworn I saw some books with half a star....
As the total average, sure, but as one person's rating? I don't see how.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:03 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
I am currently reading "You Can Break That Habit" I don't remember the Author and it is currently in the other room.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I am currently reading "You Can Break That Habit" I don't remember the Author and it is currently in the other room.
I can't break the habit of finishing other people's posts. The authors are Quin Sherrer and Ruthanne Garlock.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:21 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,780 times
saw that my library had ~In the Kingdom of Ice: The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeannette
by Hampton Sides
,Kindle version available,so I snagged it!

New York Times bestselling author Hampton Sides returns with a white-knuckle tale of polar exploration and survival in the Gilded Age.
In the late nineteenth century, people were obsessed by one of the last unmapped areas of the globe: the North Pole. No one knew what existed beyond the fortress of ice rimming the northern oceans, although theories abounded. The foremost cartographer in the world, a German named August Petermann, believed that warm currents sustained a verdant island at the top of the world. National glory would fall to whoever could plant his flag upon its shores.

James Gordon Bennett, the eccentric and stupendously wealthy owner of The New York Herald, had recently captured the world's attention by dispatching Stanley to Africa to find Dr. Livingstone. Now he was keen to re-create that sensation on an even more epic scale. So he funded an official U.S. naval expedition to reach the Pole, choosing as its captain a young officer named George Washington De Long, who had gained fame for a rescue operation off the coast of Greenland. De Long led a team of 32 men deep into uncharted Arctic waters, carrying the aspirations of a young country burning to become a world power. On July 8, 1879, the USS Jeannette set sail from San Francisco to cheering crowds in the grip of "Arctic Fever."

The ship sailed into uncharted seas, but soon was trapped in pack ice. Two years into the harrowing voyage, the hull was breached. Amid the rush of water and the shrieks of breaking wooden boards, the crew abandoned the ship. Less than an hour later, the Jeannette sank to the bottom,and the men found themselves marooned a thousand miles north of Siberia with only the barest supplies. Thus began their long march across the endless ice-a frozen hell in the most lonesome corner of the world. Facing everything from snow blindness and polar bears to ferocious storms and frosty labyrinths, the expedition battled madness and starvation as they desperately strove for survival.

With twists and turns worthy of a thriller, In The Kingdom of Ice is a spellbinding tale of heroism and determination in the most unforgiving territory on Earth.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:40 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
I am enjoying "Dollbaby : A Novel" by Laura Lane McNeal and "Albion's Seed : Four British Folkways in America" by David Hackett Fischer.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:27 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
I'm reading While I'm Falling by Laura Moriarty, who wrote The Centre of Everything, which I loved. I just couldn't get into the sort-of-sequel right after The Centre of Everything, and now I am riveted.
Added to my TRL. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I can't break the habit of finishing other people's posts. ...
I am thinking of a number between ....

'K: Of course you were correct. I think I was having a "moment," because I'm now on the last 100 pages of the current read, and I've got two full weeks to finish the ILL. (Sometimes I get myself wrapped up around my axel! )

Old 07-16-2015, 06:41 AM

I got to 27% in The Small Backs of Children and had to give it up. It's just too weird. There is no interaction between the characters, no dialogue. They are all completely solitary. I'm outta there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books