Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2015, 09:40 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,521,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I have read two more of Laura Moriarty's books. I think she writes a bit like Jodi Piccoult, except maybe a bit more literary. Have you ever read a book where you felt the writer was writing about YOU? I read While I'm Falling and there were lawyers in it, and even an old dog, and I could completely see myself behaving as the mother in that book. Then I read the sequel to The Centre of Everything. I enjoyed it because I like Moriarty's voice, but I think it was more of a three than a five.

Not sure what I am reading next. I have some work to get done and an impatient, young heeler dog who owns me. I'll have to get permission from her first.
Added both to my TRL. Thanks.

I'm just over 100 pages from finishing Lori Lansens' "Rush Home Road" and it definitely has NOT been a romance novel, in fact it has been a great story about life without love in a manner of speaking. It's been difficult to set it down to do other things. There's been only one glitch. At the first crisis point in the book Addie has just reached puberty, and then later in the book maybe only at most three years seem to have passed, and the author specifies that she is 15 and the crisis happened SIX years before. It completely threw me and must have been an error. NO way that she was nine earlier --NO WAY.

It's still a good story, but not a perfect story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 07:36 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,340,377 times
Finished The Mountain Story by Lori Lansens last night. I enjoyed it. It definitely did not touch me the way The Girls did, but I still enjoyed it. Next up is A Man Called Ove. I'm still first for several more books, including Rush Home Road (which is in "the repair shop" at the library) and The Martian.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:48 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,947,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Finished The Mountain Story by Lori Lansens last night. I enjoyed it. It definitely did not touch me the way The Girls did, but I still enjoyed it.
Exactly. And, and, and... well, you read my "review" of The Mountain Story, so I won't repeat myself. Like I told LFM in a rep, I just couldn't get into Rush Home Road.

The Girls was, for me, Lori Lansens at her best.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Exactly. And, and, and... well, you read my "review" of The Mountain Story, so I won't repeat myself. Like I told LFM in a rep, I just couldn't get into Rush Home Road.

The Girls was, for me, Lori Lansens at her best.
I had to go back and read your review and I agree! There was something about it, though, that just kept me from loving it and I'm not quite sure what it was. I still liked it and enjoyed it and would recommend it, though.

I'm staying optimistic about Rush Home Road since I really like the description but we talked about why you couldn't get into that one and one I think I will be able to. In case you forgot that conversation, it was on FB.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
In case you forgot that conversation, it was on FB.
I remember.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I remember.

Anxious to get done with work today as I peaked at Ove and I think it's going to be good. Have to buy school supplies with one offspring before I can read, though, since that one starts school on Monday and is very excited to get supplies today. Short list and cute kid will make it easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:

Anxious to get done with work today as I peaked at Ove and I think it's going to be good. Have to buy school supplies with one offspring before I can read, though, since that one starts school on Monday and is very excited to get supplies today. Short list and cute kid will make it easy peasy lemon squeezy.
WHAT??? School starts next week? This is not normal. Normal was "in my day," when we started after Labor Day.

I didn't like the Ove book. I think I read one chapter and got fed up. I'm curious to know if it keeps you interested.

PS. Yeah, you've got cute kids. And cute dogs, too.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
WHAT??? School starts next week? This is not normal. Normal was "in my day," when we started after Labor Day.

I didn't like the Ove book. I think I read one chapter and got fed up. I'm curious to know if it keeps you interested.

PS. Yeah, you've got cute kids. And cute dogs, too.
Ah shucks, thank you!

The one school is on a 45/15 calendar, so they go for 9 weeks, then 3 weeks off, then 9 then 3, then 9 then 3, then 9 and only 6 weeks off in the summer. The other 2 start after Labor Day. We prefer the 45/15 schedule and wish it were an option in other schools.

Hmmmmmm. I'm intrigued now about Ove and whether or not I will read the whole thing. Hmmmmmm.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Ah shucks, thank you!

The one school is on a 45/15 calendar, so they go for 9 weeks, then 3 weeks off, then 9 then 3, then 9 then 3, then 9 and only 6 weeks off in the summer. The other 2 start after Labor Day. We prefer the 45/15 schedule and wish it were an option in other schools.

Hmmmmmm. I'm intrigued now about Ove and whether or not I will read the whole thing. Hmmmmmm.
Oh, wow! I love that schedule (and would love it for my work ) but I wonder how that's feasible for kids whose parents both work outside of the house. That must be difficult. Or impossible.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:40 PM

47,545 posts, read 6,370,928 times
"Conflict and Crisis: The Presidency of Harry S Truman 1945-48" by Robert J. Donovan

Truman was a leader in the Senate, and was happy there. He was very hesitant to accept the role of campaigning as FDR's vice president in 1944, and had only been in office a few months when Roosevelt died, leaving Truman to inherit the leadership of the free world, along with Winston Churchill.

The Soviet Union looked to gobble up most of Eastern Europe. A new secret weapon (the atomic bomb) that Truman knew nothing about was revealed to him.

Germany was teetering on the edge of defeat, but Japan was still putting up a huge fight when Truman was sworn in.

Imagine how overwhelming it must have been to ascend to such a post, and at such a tumultuous time.

When I was a kid, I asked my great-grandmother (who was born in 1908 and died in 2008) who her favorite president was and she said "Harry Truman ... he didn't take any (BS) from anybody."

In college, one of my history professors talked about meeting Truman and interviewing him. Truman asked the professor if he'd ever read his book. The professor so no, so Truman fished in his briefcase, pulled out a copy and threw it to him.

"Read it. If you have any questions, I'll answer 'em tomorrow," Truman told him.

The professor stayed up late and read the book before meeting with Truman the next day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books