Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2009, 12:35 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Just started Robert Ford's "The Student conductor".
This is a wonderfully readable book. A sort of a soap opera taking place in that tiny closed circle of classical musicians, who don;t seem to know any people who are not musicians. Always exacting in its musical-world precision, but never sailing over the head of the non-musical reader. A thoughtful, careful book that I'm always eager to get back to, even though there doesn't seem to be anything remarkable about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 03:52 PM

841 posts, read 4,839,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
Rushed out to buy Pat Conroy's newest, South of Broad, yesterday. I am not far into it but am savoring it. I absolutely love his writing an this one seems very promising.
I read the write up on this in our local Sunday newspaper. It looks very good. Can't wait to read it soon!

Old 08-13-2009, 04:42 PM

559 posts, read 1,757,416 times
right now am reading assassin by ted bell.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:49 PM

837 posts, read 1,710,446 times
Default Julie and Julia, again

Re: the book Julie and Julia, I assume that older readers remember Julia Child with some fondness, and younger readers, having read the book, may be curious about her show. Whether you liked the book or not, you can see the real Julia Child on Home | PBS Video (http://video.pbs.org/video/ - broken link) where they are featuring some of her shows from the '60's-70's.
I just watched three episodes--quite the nostalgia trip for me, and, really a piece of TV history. Julia is, at times, very funny. She is, as described in "Julie and Julia", completely unpretentious. Also, you get to see her famous kitchen. So if you are a fan, or just want to know what the book/movie fuss is about, check it out. (I now feel that I could make a cheese souffle!)

Old 08-14-2009, 09:10 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,393,276 times
Velocity by: Dean Koontz

Old 08-15-2009, 06:27 AM

256 posts, read 452,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
Re: the book Julie and Julia, I assume that older readers remember Julia Child with some fondness, and younger readers, having read the book, may be curious about her show. Whether you liked the book or not, you can see the real Julia Child on Home | PBS Video (http://video.pbs.org/video/ - broken link) where they are featuring some of her shows from the '60's-70's.
I just watched three episodes--quite the nostalgia trip for me, and, really a piece of TV history. Julia is, at times, very funny. She is, as described in "Julie and Julia", completely unpretentious. Also, you get to see her famous kitchen. So if you are a fan, or just want to know what the book/movie fuss is about, check it out. (I now feel that I could make a cheese souffle!)
We LOVE Julia! Couldn't cook without her! We have 3 books of hers, and several others on the "wishlist." We even bought the DVDs that were available, and keep watching for more. Looking forward to Julie and Julia coming out on DVD.

As Emeril LaGasse says, frequently, on his shows - "Julia -- God BLESS her!"

Old 08-15-2009, 06:38 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
I am reading Nora Roberts old sequel " The three witches island, air,earth, and fire. Pretty good. I am also Reading Many of Silvia Brown Books...Wonders around the world, Azna the mother god, predictions, and ghosts.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:41 AM

36,417 posts, read 16,026,236 times
I'm starting "The weight of silence" today by Heather Gudenkauf, I will let you know!

Old 08-15-2009, 08:31 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
I finished Towing Jehovah by James Morrow and I really, really enjoyed it. The premise is that God has died and fallen out of heaven and the Vatican hires a disgraced ship captain to tow His body to the Arctic to preserve it. It sounds sacreligious (sp?) but it's really not. It looks at questions of what God means to different people and how His presence affects the world. It's neither pro- nor anti-religious, but very interesting, sometimes disturbing and genuinely funny. It's the first of a trilogy and my husband is reading the second one right now.

I'm now reading Bury Me Standing, which is a non-fiction book about gypsies and which another poster was reading and recommended. So far, so good.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:39 PM

985 posts, read 2,600,642 times
The Obscene Bird of Night by José Donoso. I just started reading the novel so I can't say much about it yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books