Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2015, 03:38 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

Fall of Giants, Ken Follett.
Thankfully, its the first of a trilogy, so I will have 2 more books before I must hunt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 04:06 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Wool by Hugh Howey. If you like dystopian tales, it is a must read.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:18 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times
Presently reading Americanah, by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. I had started reading two other bookss, but, this one came highly recommended from a friend, so since I was looking for a break from the other themes I had been reading namely around true life and fictional life stories of those of the Orphan train kids, and similar themes. I was on a long slump till about month or so ago, everything I picked up, just left me feeling dispassionate and worried maybe, it was me, but nothing seemed to be able to pull me away from other task, I seemed to not have time, turns out, for me anyway, there wasn't anything I felt worth the time to warrant my making time. my past four+ reads let me know that it was just as others said, a slump of some sort. btw, I sort of feel Orphan Train has a place on my list of favorite past reads, , the list of favorites grows, of late I'm happy to say, even it memory and a bit of my cognitive abilities shrink. LOL!

"Americanah," I'm finding to be a fulfilling read thus far. "Dietland" unfortunately, it wasn't for me, not because of it's feminist views, I am very much in support of positive reinforcements, when indeed they are, for women, children and men, but, this book just didn't move me for a variety of reasons.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:55 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Whew I am caught up and added more books to my TR list
I just finished Coffin Dancer which is a Lincoln Rhyme mystery. I liked it. The characters are good.

I also received a free audiobook in the mail and I am saving it for my NY trip:
Everybody Rise by Stephanie Clifford.
"eeek!" is an apt term for how I feel coming to these pages lately. It's like a reading frenzy here! I don't know how you all can get through so many titles. I keep wanting to say: "Slow down!" but then I realize that's just me wanting to keep pace when I so obviously never will.

Meanwhile, DH reads Jeffery Deaver and keeps telling me his work isn't for me -- too graphic. Is that true, YL? Is he graphic, or is DH just being overly protective? (Example: I cannot read Patricia Cornwall anymore.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
It was published in 1959. When I was a teen (the 1980s) it was required reading in most high schools. I vaguely remember having to compare and contrast it with The Catcher in the Rye (I liked A Separate Peace much better....
I knew that title sounded familiar and couldn't think why -- thanks for the reminder. I was in highschool in the 70s and both were also required, then. Lit classes evolve very slowly, it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Presently reading Americanah, by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. ... "Americanah," I'm finding to be a fulfilling read thus far.
Another title that sounded familiar and my Goodreads record shows I started and left it because I couldn't get into it within the first few pages. I noted that I might return to it. I'll be interested in knowing what you think once you've finished it. Maybe.

This morning I started listening to "The Rest of Her Life" by Laura Moriarty, and it's another one that I am having a tough time believing. The story starts out with Leigh, who turns out to be a mother of a high school daughter and middle school son, describing the events leading up to the daughter's killing a classmate in a vehicle-pedestrian accident. What makes it unbelievable is that she doesn't know how to act with her daughter, and feels alienated from her daughter and her husband when she finds out what's happened. And then the story goes on to describe her history with her two kids.

Really? Even if they had strained relations I cannot believe that she wouldn't know what her daughter needed at that moment. It also doesn't seem like I would spend time thinking about the past in that situation.

I'm halfway through Setterfield's "Bellman and Black" and still don't see where the ghost comes into the story.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:32 PM

414 posts, read 911,043 times
Finished The Mountain Story by Lori Lansens and enjoyed it, as did other reviewers on here.

Also finished and enjoyed Disclaimer by Renee Knight...different:

http://www.amazon.com/Disclaimer-Nov...9252995&sr=1-1

Old 08-10-2015, 07:15 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Hugh Howey is one of my hero authors. He's the hero because he always delivers the goods.
If you have not read Sand I highly recommend it. I have never read a book by Howey that I did not like and I've read a bunch of them. Netwit introduced me to this author. Thanks again, NW.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:59 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Hugh Howey is one of my hero authors. He's the hero because he always delivers the goods.
If you have not read Sand I highly recommend it. I have never read a book by Howey that I did not like and I've read a bunch of them. Netwit introduced me to this author. Thanks again, NW.
No, no, no, it was definitely the other way around. You told me about Howey - but I did tell you about Sand. I haven't checked lately to see if he has written any more books. I think I started his Molly whatever series once, but my eyes crossed by page 10. I'm sure it was me but I haven't gotten past me yet.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:35 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,603,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I just started Early from the Dance by David Payne.

Early from the Dance - Kindle edition by David Payne. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

I'm only on the second chapter, so I've got no verdict on it yet.

I happened across the book because the author's newest book (no, I'd never heard of David Payne either) just came out and I want to read it too. That one's called Barefoot to Avalon.

Barefoot to Avalon, David Payne - Amazon.com

But I'm starting with Early from the Dance.

ETA: Regarding Early from the Dance, I'm a bit perturbed. All the dialogue is within the dense paragraphs, all with "he said" and "then I said". I guess it's supposed to sound like the narrator telling you how it went ("and he said ... and then I said ... and then I took a sip of my drink ... and then I said ..."). I wonder if this is going to grate on me (maybe it already is?) to the point where I give up on yet another book. Sigh...

ETA2: I give up. I'm not even at 7% and I already found my third spelling mistake. Between the typos and the embedded dialogue, I've had enough.
I know what you mean, Dawn, I won't read a book that has "non-dialogue" in it. It's as irritating to me as one long paragraph would be. I haven't been reading much lately (gardening instead) but I did get a passed-on copy of The Sparrow Sisters. It was okay, but a bit fanciful for true domestic fiction. Something good is bound to turn up though.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:49 AM

496 posts, read 395,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I have had Wool on my Kindle for ages. When I finish The Interestings, Wool will be my next read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Ket, Thank you for that suggestion also. I honestly don't know why I download books and then let them sit without reading them!

Old 08-11-2015, 04:37 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I honestly don't know why I download books and then let them sit without reading them!
Because they will be there forever.

(We all do it. I had close to 700 titles on my Kindle when it had it's abrupt end of life. Thankfully they were all free downloads.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books