Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2015, 12:08 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,907,440 times

Advertisements

I'm re-reading "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat" -- Oliver Sacks. Oliver, a quirky neurologist genius, died this week. The book is a series of his case studies and they're fascinating. You may know him from his book "Awakenings" that was made into a movie starring Robert De Niro and Robin Williams. I met Sacks many years ago when he was the keynote speaker at a lecture I helped organized. An amazing, always curious, compassionate guy who helped us understand the workings of the disordered brain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 03:46 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
I'm re-reading "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat" -- Oliver Sacks. Oliver, a quirky neurologist genius, died this week. The book is a series of his case studies and they're fascinating. You may know him from his book "Awakenings" that was made into a movie starring Robert De Niro and Robin Williams. I met Sacks many years ago when he was the keynote speaker at a lecture I helped organized. An amazing, always curious, compassionate guy who helped us understand the workings of the disordered brain.
This one sounds very interesting. It is now living on my kindle. Thanks, KK.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:52 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,354,424 times
Saving Normal, by Dr. Allen Frances.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:10 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
Saving Normal, by Dr. Allen Frances.
Thanks..that sounds good.

I just finished Imperfect Strangers by David M. Staniforth.

I read this book as a BOTM group read and really enjoyed discussing this book with the author.

This was a very good book that delves into the mental health issues of the main character Keith. Overall Keith is a good guy but he has some serious demons from his mother and his upbringing. He becomes obsessed with his co worker Sally. She befriends him and the story progresses from there. It was a good story with some very strong characters.

I was afraid this would be similar to another book called "You" but thankfully it is not. Imperfect Strangers is much better and the characters are much more likable even though they are flawed. Where You is sleaze Imperfect Strangers is more creepy.

I am in the middle of listening to Everybody Rise by Stephanie Clifford. It has recently gotten some kind of rave reviews. So far I am finding the characters quite boring. It will take me awhile to listen to this as I have to listen to it in the car and I don't drive much. Aw well…it will be a very slow read in ore ways than one.

I am finishing up Ash which is OK but nothing great.

Then I am off to the library to pick p some new goodies today.

Last edited by ylisa7; 09-04-2015 at 05:18 AM..

Old 09-04-2015, 06:05 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I finished Cold Comfort Farm Tuesday evening. What an enjoyable read!
Thanks. It's in my queue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
The more I live, the more I come to believe all of us are somewhat brain disordered. Or, maybe I am just projecting my own disorders on others.

I finished listening to Lori Lansens' "The Mountain Story" last night. That poor guy sure had to go through a life of struggles to get to his happy place! I will definitely be reading more of Lori's works.

I'm on the last fifty pages of Simon Wiesenthal's "The Murderers Among Us" and though I was dreading the reading, I was surprised by it -- and continue to be surprised. Mr. Wiesenthal's personal experiences in four separate concentration camps were terrible, and the testimonies of others' experiences were as bad or worse in each their own way. Still he's managed to write about these experiences compassionately, in many cases bringing the persecutors to justice. Throughout, he managed to face the information and still keep his heart soft, calling for justice but not vengeance. I would recommend it to everyone. It's a book that tells the stories we should all know so they won't happen again.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:36 AM

461 posts, read 796,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I started Wool yesterday and am engrossed in the story.
That's funny, I started it a couple of days ago and am really loving it! (funny cuz it's been out for a while )

Old 09-04-2015, 09:55 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,354,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Thanks..that sounds good.

It is- it's one of the best books I've read in awhile!!!

Old 09-05-2015, 04:11 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
It is- it's one of the best books I've read in awhile!!!

Ketabcha-Have you read The Knife of Never Letting Go? It is one of my group reads this month and I thought you might like it.
http://www.amazon.com/Knife-Never-Le...ver+Letting+Go

I read half of The Love Song Of Miss Queenie Hennesy last night. It is very enjoyable. It's fun to follow and learn about the other half of Harold Fry's story.

Old 09-05-2015, 04:11 AM

1 posts, read 713 times
welcome

Old 09-05-2015, 06:33 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
I finished ~Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark and the Spending of a Great American Fortune by Bill Dedman and Paul Clark Jr. Newell I thought it was a really interesting but sad read.

Now I'm reading my first Agatha Christie~ By The Pricking Of My Thumbs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books