Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2016, 10:41 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times

Advertisements

Well I thought it was on another thread in this forum but I have looked and cant find it------ someone recommended Alison Mcleay books, one of which is SUMMER HOUSE. I got it from the library and just started it. I am really enjoying it. It takes place in England in early 1900's and I guess it's just what I need to read because talk about a great escape. Deliciousness.
Apparently the author has written quite a few books and seems to be well regarded( I never heard of her but the library has her books so I am happy).
Just mentioning this because I wanted to thank whoever it was for mentioning this. And, if you are looking for a sweet read, I think this is one. ( only on about page 30 so far).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 03:25 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I just downloaded A Strangeness in my Mind his second book. How depressing is The Orphan Master's Son?. I have it on my TRL list, buts so far have resisted because I must be in the right frame of mind to read a book set in North Korea.
I would not call it depressing, although it is intense and quite interesting. Descriptions of the N Korean society are horrifying though. I do think it helps me understand the terrible situation in N Korea to read something like this. I would really like to read an actual first person narrative sometime.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:55 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I would not call it depressing, although it is intense and quite interesting. Descriptions of the N Korean society are horrifying though. I do think it helps me understand the terrible situation in N Korea to read something like this. I would really like to read an actual first person narrative sometime.
Thanks. A Strangess in my Mind is Orhan Pamuk's book, not Adam Johnson's. I'll give Johnson's book a try.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:46 PM

496 posts, read 395,364 times
Lisa, the book is not at all preachy. It isn't like anything I've ever read and the religiousness is a religion of humanity not organized religion. Jayber is a good man but a man with faults like us all.
Eta: I just finished it and I think it is the best book I've ever read.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:22 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Good to know. I just downloaded from library. I've only read one of Allendes's Portrait in Sepia.
I loved her "Daughter of Fortune," but read it so long ago I no longer recall why I loved it. I should read her again.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:05 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
Lisa, the book is not at all preachy. It isn't like anything I've ever read and the religiousness is a religion of humanity not organized religion. Jayber is a good man but a man with faults like us all.
Eta: I just finished it and I think it is the best book I've ever read.
That's quite an endorsement! I loved it as well. Here is a link to a poem by Wendell Barry that is pretty fabulous, IMO. MANIFESTO: THE MAD FARMER LIBERATION FRONT

Old 01-11-2016, 08:07 AM

461 posts, read 796,561 times
A LITTLE LIFE by Hanya Yanagihara. Devastating, heartbreaking & beautiful.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:10 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
To all of you people who read Jayber Crow:

I had never heard of it until you all started talking about it and now it's on my radar to read at some point, sooner rather than later.

I have some questions, though: Wendell Berry wrote many books. Some of them -- such as Jayber Crow -- are part of his "Port William" collection. (1) Have you read any others that are part of this collection? (2) Do they have to be read in order?

Old 01-11-2016, 08:42 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
To all of you people who read Jayber Crow:

I had never heard of it until you all started talking about it and now it's on my radar to read at some point, sooner rather than later.

I have some questions, though: Wendell Berry wrote many books. Some of them -- such as Jayber Crow -- are part of his "Port William" collection. (1) Have you read any others that are part of this collection? (2) Do they have to be read in order?
I know you will love it, Dawn. As surely as I know my fingers type this post.

I looked at Wendell's books on Goodreads and there is nothing to suggest there is a series. The story introduced ME to Port William, but the stories he tells about the characters are snippets of memories about them, and their actions in his immediate story, so I am inclined to think each story stands on it's own merit.

I first encountered him in the 70s, and never even knew he wrote fiction. In my mind's eye he was always a poet and an essayist. He excels in both. My favorite poem, "The Mad Farmer's Liberation Font" has many renditions -- I think he must've re-written it more than a hundred times!, but at its roots it tells us of where the paths we are on will lead us. He's predicted well, sadly.

I give him two hands and feet up, so it's good that I am seated.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:48 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I know you will love it, Dawn. As surely as I know my fingers type this post.

I looked at Wendell's books on Goodreads and there is nothing to suggest there is a series. The story introduced ME to Port William, but the stories he tells about the characters are snippets of memories about them, and their actions in his immediate story, so I am inclined to think each story stands on it's own merit.

I first encountered him in the 70s, and never even knew he wrote fiction. In my mind's eye he was always a poet and an essayist. He excels in both. My favorite poem, "The Mad Farmer's Liberation Font" has many renditions -- I think he must've re-written it more than a hundred times!, but at its roots it tells us of where the paths we are on will lead us. He's predicted well, sadly.

I give him two hands and feet up, so it's good that I am seated.
Thanks, LFM! I trust you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books