Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2016, 09:29 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,523,538 times

Advertisements

I just finished reading "Station Eleven" and loved it, despite the unsettling aspects of the story. I wonder what kind of person I would be twenty years after my world as I knew it was over -- presuming I survived the years between.

Next Up: T.C. Boyle's "The Harder They Come"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 11:09 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,704,872 times
Just finished Padma Lakshmi's autobiography "Love, Loss, and What We Ate"
Much more introspective, interesting, and sad than I anticipated...although the title is accurate...
She seems very intelligent and grounded...not the glam hostess "Barbi" I expected...and Salman Rushti comes across as self-involved and unsympathetic, even if brilliant and charismatic...
Hard to feel sorry for someone who seemingly "has it all" but narrative seems very personal and true...

Old 03-19-2016, 03:58 AM

4,712 posts, read 4,390,479 times
I am happy to see that my rave about Moloka'i was so well received.

For book club I am reading The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Sendker. The person who selected it said it had been on her radar for a while and she just learned that it will be made into a movie.
I seem to do best with not knowing anything about the books- and this is another case in point. No clue, and probably had I read a synopsis I would not be drawn to this. However, it is truly a good one. So my most current I am 2 for 2. (and about 35% through).
Funny, I just searched the thread to see any other mention of the book, and it looks like there were a few posts back several years ago (Marlow and Pinetreelover if I remember correctly) and they did not love it.
Curious now to see if I feel the same when finished

Old 03-19-2016, 12:50 PM

I just finished listening to Nightmare House by Douglas Clegg. I wish I would've saved it for my Halloween reads in October, because it was my idea of the perfect scary Halloween story. He's written some sequels, and I am skeptical about sequels, but I did put it on my Halloween Reads list.

Next up: "At the Water's Edge" by Sara Gruen

Old 03-19-2016, 01:07 PM

6 posts, read 5,412 times
I started Bittersweet by Miranda Beverly-Whittemore. It was good so far but I cannot finish it right now because I am working too much. The last book I finished was Girl on the Train, read it because everyone was raving about it, I ended up liking it a lot myself.

Old 03-20-2016, 12:21 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,542,577 times
Room - Emma Donoghue. It's so emotionally draining.

Old 03-20-2016, 12:48 PM

4,712 posts, read 4,390,479 times
Well I just finished the Art of Hearing Heartbeats. Yes it was that good ( typically not making time to read -- I did not want to put this down and fortunately had some time this weekend). I got it from the library on kindle, and that helps a lot. I can really read so much easier on that.
Very different and lots of twists and turns. Had a bit of sadness to it as well - reading Pinacarlotta's comment above. I am thinking I might want something a bit less heavy next.
A while back people were mentioning Pecan Man which I just got from the library to that is next. (in book form).. will let you know what I think.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:36 PM

6,954 posts, read 12,026,907 times
Sorry to say I am giving up on "The Lake House" after reading the first 50 pages twice to try to comprehend who was who. I not only dislike the back and forth years and characters but find way too much superfluous "stuff" to keep me entralled. I really enjoyed all the other Kate Morton books and thought I would adore this one too. No such luck. On to the next.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinaCarlotta View Post
Room - Emma Donoghue. It's so emotionally draining.
I read the Goodreads description and I could not read that book. Just the description drained me.

I am halfway through chapter nine of T.C. Boyle's "The Harder They Come and I am going to give up. I just don't like the characters. I LIKE T.C. Boyle's writing, so I grabbed this off the shelf at the library, not even looking at the back cover description -- big mistake.

I am sure there are people out there like the characters in this book. If I met the in the course of my day I know my eyebrows would raise, I would nod to them politely with the mere suggestion of a smile, and then excuse myself to go find someplace else to be.

With a book I can just drop in on the stand next to the front door and move on -- which is what I plan to do.

And that leaves me with nothing to read until my next hold comes available.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:44 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,788,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I'm reading The Nightingale.

This is the first book in a long while that had me crying a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books