Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2016, 08:50 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Once again I am completely ignorant. Her leanings? I'm going to have to go back and read the description because I've no idea what the issue is that you speak of!
I mean which way she leans on an issue. Like say Keeping Faith which had a religious tone to it. Reading it you had no idea where she stands on the issue or what her own faith is or isn't. This one I think had to do with homosexuality. According to reviewers, you knew based on how she wrote this one how she feels about it. I have no problem with whatever her viewpoint on any issue, I just enjoyed that she seemed to keep her personal beliefs out of her stories. They always feel very balanced. For example, in 19 Minutes you don't end up hating the bad guy. You hate what he did, but you don't hate him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 07:56 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I mean which way she leans on an issue. Like say Keeping Faith which had a religious tone to it. Reading it you had no idea where she stands on the issue or what her own faith is or isn't. This one I think had to do with homosexuality. According to reviewers, you knew based on how she wrote this one how she feels about it. I have no problem with whatever her viewpoint on any issue, I just enjoyed that she seemed to keep her personal beliefs out of her stories. They always feel very balanced. For example, in 19 Minutes you don't end up hating the bad guy. You hate what he did, but you don't hate him.
Thanks for explaining. It's good to know. Like you, I prefer non-biased reporting, but in fiction I prefer that the author likes their characters at least as much as the characters like themselves, or at minimum shows neutrality. If the author is contemptuous of her protagonists, I cannot respect her work.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:26 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,364 times
Quote:
Thanks for explaining. It's good to know. Like you, I prefer non-biased reporting, but in fiction I prefer that the author likes their characters at least as much as the characters like themselves, or at minimum shows neutrality. If the author is contemptuous of her protagonists, I cannot respect her work.
I may be confused, but I think you guys are talking about 2 different books.

Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult and Sing Them Home by Stephanie Kallos.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop101 View Post
I may be confused, but I think you guys are talking about 2 different books.

Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult and Sing Them Home by Stephanie Kallos.
LOL. I was referring to "Sing Them Home" by Stephanie Kallos.

I finished listening to "Nathan Coulter" and loved it, of course. I love Wendell Berry's story-telling.

Next Up: "Eleanor & Park" by Rainbow Rowell

Old 04-13-2016, 07:03 AM

556 posts, read 788,229 times
I started reading "Destiny" by Don Brown which is the prequel to the "Navy Justice Series" and is holding my attention quite well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destin...cal_prequel%29

Old 04-13-2016, 11:04 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,176,058 times
I just started The Glass Castle yesterday (yes, I'm late to the party) and I love it.

I'm also reading The BFG to my 4 and 6 year olds .

Old 04-13-2016, 01:51 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,449,271 times
I'm currently reading "NYPD Red #2" by James Patterson. I needed a quick read while waiting for "The Japanese Lover." However, as that is the next book for book club, I may have to buy it so I have enough time to read it.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:21 PM

3,565 posts, read 2,114,813 times

Robots and Empire

Old 04-13-2016, 06:28 PM

I just finished reading Margaret Atwood's "Cat's Eye" and though I loved it at the start, and there WERE great moments, in the end it was just okay. I don't think I am a Margaret Atwood reader, which disappoints me but there it is.

Next up: "Reykjavik Nights" by Arnaldur Indriðason -- a new mystery author for me.

Meanwhile, I've been listening to "Eleanor & Park" by Rainbow Rowell and though I was prepared not to like it, it's really pretty good.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:14 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
I just finished reading Margaret Atwood's "Cat's Eye" and though I loved it at the start, and there WERE great moments, in the end it was just okay. I don't think I am a Margaret Atwood reader, which disappoints me but there it is.

Next up: "Reykjavik Nights" by Arnaldur Indriðason -- a new mystery author for me.

Meanwhile, I've been listening to "Eleanor & Park" by Rainbow Rowell and though I was prepared not to like it, it's really pretty good.
I've never found Atwood to be all that good at endings. I still very much liked that book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books