Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2016, 07:15 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

I finished A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles. LOVE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 10:45 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,414,345 times
Quote:
Read this a few years ago and LOVED it! Ending up reading parts of it out loud to my husband on a car trip because he couldn't stand the curiosity when I was laughing out loud.
Quote:
I enjoyed it when I read it and have requested my library get her newest book which just came out Tuesday, Today Will Be Different.
I stayed in bed two hours this morning to finish Where's You Go, Bernadette. I absolutely loved this book! I think dh is going to read it and I'm curious what his reaction will be. Thanks for mentioning her new book. It's going on my list.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:06 PM

3,565 posts, read 2,114,813 times
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ity-between-us

"The Gravity Between Us" - Kristen Zimmer

Half way through this book, and follows a very similar format of a close lesbian friendship turning into a full blown romance.

However, the writing is quite gripping, with a few twist and turns here and there. I just hope the ending doesn't become too telegraphed too soon.

Old 10-08-2016, 06:52 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I finished A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles. LOVE!
Starting that one today!

Old 10-08-2016, 07:02 PM

983 posts, read 994,713 times
I'm reading The Help. It's really good. The manuscript was rejected 60 times before it got published!
Ten times would make me discouraged, 20 would make me crazy, but 60?!?

Glad it did get published.

Old 10-09-2016, 06:16 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
I'm reading The Help. It's really good. The manuscript was rejected 60 times before it got published!
Ten times would make me discouraged, 20 would make me crazy, but 60?!?

Glad it did get published.

The movie is even better (imo); you can get it on Netflix.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:58 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Since I have been on this forum for so long I am starting to notice how different our genres of books are and I'm wondering if it is our ages does anyone mind if we start telling our ages . I will start I'm 55 .....

Old 10-09-2016, 08:34 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Is that by Barbara Kingsolver? If so, I liked it. Not my favorite of hers, but a good one.

I was going to reread The Golden Compass til I remembered that I had a copy of Wild by Cheryl Strayed that I wanted to read. So I started that last night and so far, so good.
I did finish Flight Behavior last week. It took a very long time for me to get into it, and I did think it was a worthwhile read but not super great. I had heard several people speak very highly of it so I did stick with it. I definitely learned a lot, and I did like the character development and commentary but it felt like a lot was superfluous. In any case- I did finish!

Now of course 2 books came to me on kindle from the library- the first one I didn't expect to like but I am loving it SISI Empress on her Own https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z3FYSAK...ng=UTF8&btkr=1 by Alison Pataki.
Historical fiction but very enticingly written. (apparently this is the 2nd in a series so when I finish I will find the first one). It;s about Elizabeth Empress of Austria-Hungary - if any one you have traveled to Vienna and or Budapest you would have heard of her.

The other book which I have wanted for a while is the Aviator's Wife.by Melanie Benjamin. she wrote Swans of Fifth Avenue which I enjoyed thoroughly.
So I guess I will be reading again!!
Thinking maybe I need to stay with historical fiction for a bit.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:34 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,414,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
The other book which I have wanted for a while is the Aviator's Wife.by Melanie Benjamin. she wrote Swans of Fifth Avenue which I enjoyed thoroughly.
The Aviator's Wife is awesome! Very well written.

I just started Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:51 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
The Aviator's Wife is awesome! Very well written.

I just started Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks.
I read Year of Wonders a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I don't recall it all that well, but some of her descriptions about attendance at church services really made an impression on me. ( I don't want to say more though it's not exactly a secret but it was an interesting point).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books