Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2016, 07:48 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times

Advertisements

I finished Revival by Stephen King and it was underwhelming. I wanted page-turning escapism but it didn't deliver--at least to me. It was just kinda boring and dark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 10:08 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I finished Revival by Stephen King and it was underwhelming. I wanted page-turning escapism but it didn't deliver--at least to me. It was just kinda boring and dark.
Oh dear. Oh well. I've learned to avoid King so I'm not surprised.

Old 11-24-2016, 07:16 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I just started The Lost Girls by Heather Young.

https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Girls-No...the+lost+girls

Well, RE-started it, really, because I'd tried it once before. My concentration was nil that first time and I couldn't keep track of all the names in the first chapter. The first chapter! I must've been brain dead.

Anyway, fromupthere told me that she'd liked it, so I'm giving it another go. And, although it's early days yet (hey! chapter 2! nice to meet you!), I'm enjoying it very much.

Are you still reading it or did you give up? If you are, I hope you are enjoying it.

I am currently reading Dragonfly In Amber for the 2nd time. Just couldn't get into any book and I've been reading this one throughout the year so I picked it up again. I tried a Christmas novella and the author sure lacked an editor and/or editing skills.

Old 11-24-2016, 07:47 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Are you still reading it or did you give up? If you are, I hope you are enjoying it.
I am (still reading it) and I am (enjoying it). I'm 18% in so I'm good for the long haul now, especially since I want to know what happened to Emily.

I hope that you find a book that captures your interest. In the meantime, there's stuffing/dressing! Oh, and turkey. Whatever. For me, it's all about the stuffing. And the green bean casserole that everyone hates -- I love it. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, S!

Old 11-24-2016, 09:32 AM

556 posts, read 788,229 times
I recently finished The Whistler by John Grisham and it took me longer than I expected to finish since it wasn't up to the usual page turning standards I am used to by him.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I am (still reading it) and I am (enjoying it). I'm 18% in so I'm good for the long haul now, especially since I want to know what happened to Emily.

I hope that you find a book that captures your interest. In the meantime, there's stuffing/dressing! Oh, and turkey. Whatever. For me, it's all about the stuffing. And the green bean casserole that everyone hates -- I love it. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, S!
I hope you stick with the book, then.

I am enjoying Dragonfly but I also want to be reading something Christmas-y too. I don't know. I'm just going to enjoy what I've got for now and worry about it later.

Oh my gosh, I love green bean casserole!! It is one of my absolute faves! It is so good as a leftover too. Yummy! And stuffing. My sissy isn't make Stove-Top this year though which I love so I'm hoping I like what she does this time. You already had Thanksgiving there didn't you? I only remember it is a little different time than ours as when child #3 was born my OB was from Canada and was okay with working Thanksgiving. tee hee! Thank you for the wishes and I hope you had a great one too!!

Old 11-24-2016, 10:29 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I hope you stick with the book, then.

I am enjoying Dragonfly but I also want to be reading something Christmas-y too. I don't know. I'm just going to enjoy what I've got for now and worry about it later.

Oh my gosh, I love green bean casserole!! It is one of my absolute faves! It is so good as a leftover too. Yummy! And stuffing. My sissy isn't make Stove-Top this year though which I love so I'm hoping I like what she does this time. You already had Thanksgiving there didn't you? I only remember it is a little different time than ours as when child #3 was born my OB was from Canada and was okay with working Thanksgiving. tee hee! Thank you for the wishes and I hope you had a great one too!!
I'll be sticking with it, for sure. I'm really enjoying it!

Yeah, our Thanksgiving is in October but it's sooooo NOT a big deal here. It's a day off work, really. Maybe some people have a dinner -- maybe it's even turkey -- but, really, it's not a big-deal holiday like it is there. You love green bean casserole too?!?!? My twinsie!!! Okay, my first Thanksgiving when I lived in the U.S. -- no wait, it was before I lived there; it was my first Thanksgiving with my then-future now-ex in-laws -- I was asked if there was anything special that I wanted. I'd seen green bean casserole. I'd heard of green bean casserole. I WANTED GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE. My then-now-ex MIL made it. OMG! I LOVED IT. I think that everyone thought that I was nuts but, OMG, it was heavenly! Even now that I'm back in Canada, I sometimes make it as a treat. It's soooo bad for you -- all those crunchy fried onions -- but I love it soooo much. I can eat the whole pan in one sitting -- I'm not kidding -- so I have to limit myself to a few times a year. (Like 12!) (Just kidding -- like once.) (Okay, maybe twice.)

Hahaha! How great that your OB was Canadian and was happy to work. Eh? (I'm like one of a dozen Canadians who does NOT say "eh?," by the way.)

Old 11-24-2016, 11:00 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I saw you post in the other thread about this book, so I looked it up on amazon and bookmarked it, thinking I might like it. then I realized the author also wrote a book called Green Dolphin Street.
I posted about this in the past--When I was cleaning out my grandmother's house after she died, I found an old hardcover copy of Green Dolphin Street. I'd never heard of it, and was about to put it in the donation pile. But then I saw my grandmom had written inside "very good book!" So I kept it, and read it last year.

Like you said, it was not a perfect book, and it's quite old-fashioned (especially about how aboriginal people in New Zealand are referred to). But something about that book stuck with me too, after I was finished. I think it was partly because I felt like I was reading it with my grandmom, but there were also parts of the story itself that stayed with me. I caught part of the movie adapted from the book, when it was on AMC, but it didn't seem to be like the book at all.

Did you know that there was a plagiarism scandal involving The Rosemary Tree? I just saw this on Wikipedia. Apparently a book came out in 1993 that ripped it off.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Goudge

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation.
I read Green Dolphin Street decades ago when I was in high school. And, I agree, the movie is not true to the book, and probably does not have the same tone.

I've now read The Scent of Water, and I have to say it is a better book. Still old fashioned, though a decade later than The Rosemary Tree. However, The Rosemary Tree affected me more than The Scent of Water. Goudge's world is magical and imaginary. She loves almost all her characters, and so she gives even the flawed ones redemptive acts. Goudge's books are full of love. I think that's what I respond to.

And, yes I read about the scandal. An Indian author cribbed whole passages, and possibly plot lines, from the book, passed it off as his own, was favorably reviewed, and then committed suicide when it was revealed that he had plagiarized The Rosemary Tree. Critics would not review Goudge's books, but loved the same stuff when presented by an male Indian writer.

Old 11-24-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
I'll be sticking with it, for sure. I'm really enjoying it!

Yeah, our Thanksgiving is in October but it's sooooo NOT a big deal here. It's a day off work, really. Maybe some people have a dinner -- maybe it's even turkey -- but, really, it's not a big-deal holiday like it is there. You love green bean casserole too?!?!? My twinsie!!! Okay, my first Thanksgiving when I lived in the U.S. -- no wait, it was before I lived there; it was my first Thanksgiving with my then-future now-ex in-laws -- I was asked if there was anything special that I wanted. I'd seen green bean casserole. I'd heard of green bean casserole. I WANTED GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE. My then-now-ex MIL made it. OMG! I LOVED IT. I think that everyone thought that I was nuts but, OMG, it was heavenly! Even now that I'm back in Canada, I sometimes make it as a treat. It's soooo bad for you -- all those crunchy fried onions -- but I love it soooo much. I can eat the whole pan in one sitting -- I'm not kidding -- so I have to limit myself to a few times a year. (Like 12!) (Just kidding -- like once.) (Okay, maybe twice.)

Hahaha! How great that your OB was Canadian and was happy to work. Eh? (I'm like one of a dozen Canadians who does NOT say "eh?," by the way.)

My #2 kiddo made the green bean casserole this year. I think she is so good at it I might have to have her make it a few times a year but only like 3 since I too could eat the whole pan if given the opportunity. Those little crunchy onions are tasty just to eat too. I could munch on those as a snack too.

It was funny. After #3 was born I had complications and OB said she was leaving the country. Living in Minnesota and her saying that about Canada made me giggle. I sometimes forget it's a whole 'nother country. I worked at a convenience store back in the '90s and these people from somewhere in the South came in and were just giddy that when I gave them their change there were Canadian coins included.

To keep with the thread, I haven't left Dragonfly yet.

Old 11-24-2016, 04:15 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
As we speak, I have my green bean casserole in the ove. I started Lost Girls a couple weeks ago, but did not get very far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books