Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2016, 06:41 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Going to try Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock next.
Ooooh, that sounds good. I'm going to add that to my "to read" list right now.

I've never read anything by Matthew Quick. The two that were popular -- The Silver Linings Playbook and The Good Luck of Right Now -- felt too chick-lit silly for me. But now I'm looking at his list of books and others, aside from Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock look good. He has a new one coming out on July 4 called The Reason You're Alive, but there's no synopsis of it on Amazon. Eh. I just found the synopsis on Goodreads (and there's a reason that July 4 was chosen as the release date) and I'm not sure that it's for me, but we'll see. For now, though, Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock is on my list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 07:18 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post

I've never read anything by Matthew Quick. The two that were popular -- The Silver Linings Playbook and The Good Luck of Right Now -- felt too chick-lit silly for me. But now I'm looking at his list of books and others, aside from Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock look good. He has a new one coming out on July 4 called The Reason You're Alive, but there's no synopsis of it on Amazon. Eh. I just found the synopsis on Goodreads (and there's a reason that July 4 was chosen as the release date) and I'm not sure that it's for me, but we'll see. For now, though, Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock is on my list.

I never read any synopses on any of his book until my niece asked me if I'd read Leonard. I hadn't so I got it from the library. I'll have to read the Goodreads one on the new one.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:21 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:

The synopsis of The Reason You're Alive is on the Kindle.
Looks good.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:23 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
The synopsis of The Reason You're Alive is on the Kindle.
Looks good.
Maybe not yet on amazon.ca?

Old 11-29-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Maybe not yet on amazon.ca?
I'd looked on .com -- I always look there -- but I'd been on the Hardcover link, not the Kindle one. Tigerlily is right -- the synopsis is on the Kindle version.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:11 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
I'm still reading These is My Words and it's okay. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I don't really like historical fiction and this book is an example of why that is. I'll be the first to acknowledge that this is MY problem and that if I could get over it, I'd be a lot happier.

But....at one point the narrator mentions that her mother is singing the Christmas song, Away in a Manger. The book is set in 1881 and the characters are in a wagon train heading out west. My first thought when I read that is "when was Away in a Manger written?" So I google it and apparently it was written in 1884 and was first published in Boston. It originally was attributed to Martin Luther, but the article I read said that there is no mention of it in his writings and it most likely was written as a tribute to him 400 years after he died. They would not have known that song and that's the kind of thing that gets under my skin.

Other things that can bug me about a book are practical, logistical issues. Here, at the beginning of the story, the main characters lose everything and are broke. Still, they're able to travel in a wagon train for 3 months and appear to have plenty of food and supplies. When they arrive at their destination they are able to buy lumber and nails to build a house. I get distracted wondering how they're able to do that. There are a lot of things like that in this book that give me pause.

Despite all that, I'm going to keep reading, mostly because I like the main character. She reminds me of Anne of Green Gables and the characters in Little Women, which are two of my favorites.

Clearly, I had a lot to get off my chest about this book! Thanks for indulging me.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm still reading These is My Words and it's okay. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I don't really like historical fiction and this book is an example of why that is. I'll be the first to acknowledge that this is MY problem and that if I could get over it, I'd be a lot happier.

But....at one point the narrator mentions that her mother is singing the Christmas song, Away in a Manger. The book is set in 1881 and the characters are in a wagon train heading out west. My first thought when I read that is "when was Away in a Manger written?" So I google it and apparently it was written in 1884 and was first published in Boston. It originally was attributed to Martin Luther, but the article I read said that there is no mention of it in his writings and it most likely was written as a tribute to him 400 years after he died. They would not have known that song and that's the kind of thing that gets under my skin.

Other things that can bug me about a book are practical, logistical issues. Here, at the beginning of the story, the main characters lose everything and are broke. Still, they're able to travel in a wagon train for 3 months and appear to have plenty of food and supplies. When they arrive at their destination they are able to buy lumber and nails to build a house. I get distracted wondering how they're able to do that. There are a lot of things like that in this book that give me pause.

Despite all that, I'm going to keep reading, mostly because I like the main character. She reminds me of Anne of Green Gables and the characters in Little Women, which are two of my favorites.

Clearly, I had a lot to get off my chest about this book! Thanks for indulging me.
Stuff like that irks the heck out of me too. It's not just with books labeled as historical fiction, though -- it's all fiction. (I'm sure that non-fiction books have errors too, but that's a whole other story.) I try to stop myself from looking things up to confirm dates and whatnot. If I discover that it couldn't be as is written, I feel like throwing in the towel. Or, if I don't give up, I'm continually looking for more mistakes. The unexplained (like having money when they're broke) bothers me more (I feel unmoored by it, no pun intended) and, again, I keep looking for even more gaffes in logic.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:37 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Stuff like that irks the heck out of me too. It's not just with books labeled as historical fiction, though -- it's all fiction. (I'm sure that non-fiction books have errors too, but that's a whole other story.) I try to stop myself from looking things up to confirm dates and whatnot. If I discover that it couldn't be as is written, I feel like throwing in the towel. Or, if I don't give up, I'm continually looking for more mistakes. The unexplained (like having money when they're broke) bothers me more (I feel unmoored by it, no pun intended) and, again, I keep looking for even more gaffes in logic.
Yes to all of that. I know it must be extremely challenging to write any type of fiction and have it ring true. But some authors are clearly better at it than others.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:09 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,355 times
Default Westward, ho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

Yah. Did the author note that most people walked all the way? The wagons were for goods & supplies, & the sick or injured rode until they healed (or died). Yep, there's a lot of telling detail to most treks - water, Native Peoples, trails, time of year that there's pasturage & sufficient water, mountains, deserts, badlands. Finding a good scout, trainmaster. Once you've read a good account, it's hard to take the also-rans seriously.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:00 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,364 times
I just finished Between You and Me by Lisa Hall.

https://www.amazon.com/Between-You-M.../dp/B01B7RRNB8 (Do not read the reviews if you don't want to know the ending!)

It was an okay book, though it deals with very disturbing domestic violence. I think it was worth the 99 cent Kindle price on Amazon. There is an interesting twist, but the author did drop a very big clue in her writing.

Perhaps I am always looking for the twist before it happens, so I always find it, or maybe I am just twisted. Lol.

If anyone has read or reads it, let me know if you notice what I thought was an obvious clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books