Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2016, 01:03 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I started Commonwealth by Ann Patchett. I'm loving it so far.
Oooh! I loved that book! I read an article (based on an interview with her, I believe) that said that it's quite autobiographical. That, for me, added a layer of depth to the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 01:53 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Oooh! I loved that book! I read an article (based on an interview with her, I believe) that said that it's quite autobiographical. That, for me, added a layer of depth to the story.
Interesting. I don't think I'm not far enough along to know which character is based on her situation.

She's a masterful writer.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Interesting. I don't think I'm not far enough along to know which character is based on her situation.

The main character -- or who will become the main character as you get more into it: Franny.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:13 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
Just started Anne of Green Gables ( I had never read it or seen the movies) and I am smitten!!

Also going to mention that on another forum, people are raving about Before the Fall by Noah Hawley. I searched this forum and I saw someone mention it (Sadielu?) in June.
I don't know what it's about ( I usually don't look that stuff up== just like to know if people liked something) but I will add that to the ever growing list.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:31 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Quote:

I read this one last month and enjoyed it as well. There is a great interview with Anne Patchett on the pod cast "Lit Up" where she explains the "autobiographical" aspects of the novel. After I finished Commonwealth, I looked at reviews on Amazon and was surprised to read so many negative comments (mostly about the number of characters to keep up with and the non-linear format). I found it a great novel and think her weaving of characters and timeline masterful.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:11 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I read this one last month and enjoyed it as well. There is a great interview with Anne Patchett on the pod cast "Lit Up" where she explains the "autobiographical" aspects of the novel. After I finished Commonwealth, I looked at reviews on Amazon and was surprised to read so many negative comments (mostly about the number of characters to keep up with and the non-linear format). I found it a great novel and think her weaving of characters and timeline masterful.
Thank you. I'll check that out. I'm also having trouble keeping the all the names and relationships straight, but it's not keeping me from enjoying the book at all. I just pause and think about it. And it didn't occur to me that the non-linear timeline could be a problem.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:58 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Also going to mention that on another forum, people are raving about Before the Fall by Noah Hawley. I searched this forum and I saw someone mention it (Sadielu?) in June.
I don't know what it's about ( I usually don't look that stuff up== just like to know if people liked something) but I will add that to the ever growing list.
I read Before the Fall and loved it. Hawley is a very visual writer, which makes sense as he is also a screen and television writer (he is the writer of the recent Fargo tv series).

I just finished News of theWorld, which had been mentioned by another poster here, and loved it too. People who like clean, spare writing and/or historical fiction, and/or Larry McMurtry will enjoy this.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:11 AM

I'm reading a memoir: Treyf by Elissa Altman.

https://www.amazon.com/TREYF-My-Life...keywords=treyf

I didn't think that I'd like it much -- I figured it would center on (not) being kosher -- but I'm at 50% and loving it. It's a great memoir, whether or not you're Jewish. (I'm Jewish, emphasis on the ish part. But I'm the least religious person on the planet, I think.)

I have other books that I'm super-excited to start (see list below) and guessed that I'd try Treyf and bail on it. I guessed wrong. This is a really good memoir. The writing is strong, the "story" is interesting.

Here are (some of) the other books that I'll start on when I'm done with Treyf. If you've read any of them, I'd love to hear your thoughts:

- The Ballroom by Anna Hope
- The Life-Writer by David Constantine
- Moonglow by Michael Chabon
- The Nix by Nathan Hill

Old 12-08-2016, 09:50 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
I Am Brian Wilson: A Memoir by Brian Wilson. https://smile.amazon.com/I-Am-Brian-...m+brian+wilson

Though I liked the Beatles more as the '60s wore on, the Beach Boys have been my favorite group from that era since 1974, when they re-released Pet Sounds. This memoir is a simple thing: just Brian talking. It's wonderful. I'm going to read Mike Love's new autobiography next.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:57 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm reading a memoir: Treyf by Elissa Altman.

https://www.amazon.com/TREYF-My-Life...keywords=treyf

I didn't think that I'd like it much -- I figured it would center on (not) being kosher -- but I'm at 50% and loving it. It's a great memoir, whether or not you're Jewish. (I'm Jewish, emphasis on the ish part. But I'm the least religious person on the planet, I think.)

I have other books that I'm super-excited to start (see list below) and guessed that I'd try Treyf and bail on it. I guessed wrong. This is a really good memoir. The writing is strong, the "story" is interesting.

Here are (some of) the other books that I'll start on when I'm done with Treyf. If you've read any of them, I'd love to hear your thoughts:

- The Ballroom by Anna Hope
- The Life-Writer by David Constantine
- Moonglow by Michael Chabon
- The Nix by Nathan Hill
Thanks for the recommendations. I've ordered the kindle copies of Treyf and Moonglow from my library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books