Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2017, 06:04 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times

Advertisements

Jumping back on to say that although I am only at about 10%, I am loving The Whole Town's Talking. I figured I would like it but I am really enjoying it and if anyone is having trouble finding a book to keep them effortlessly reading, try this one. ( If I didn't have to go to work I would be reading it non stop).
The Nix sounds great- adding it to my list for when I have a lot of time (600 plus pages. oy).
Sacred Ties also sound very interesting.
love this forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 06:46 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
J
The Nix sounds great- adding it to my list for when I have a lot of time (600 plus pages. oy).
Oy, indeed! And add "vey iz meir" too!

A high number of pages is a deterrent for me. When I have a few (or a bunch) of books to choose from, I usually (almost always) go for the shortest one. I have a short attention span. I don't have hours and hours that I can just sit and read, so I fear that I'll forget what I read 18 hours ago, which was the last time I picked it up. I often lose momentum. I could love the book but then, hey, it's been more than a week and I'm only at 52% -- I've been reading this forEVER and I'm bored with it now.

Sometimes I throw caution to the wind and choose a hefty book. Sometimes I just can't make it work for me, try as I might. But other times, when it does work for me? Oh, that's a sweet one. That's the rainbow-colored unicorn that's been dipped in glitter. I don't know that The Nix is one of those unicorns yet, but I think that it might be. I'm at 23% and have no desire to bail on it -- that's a good sign for me.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:50 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I keep coming across The Nix in my recommendations and I may have the sample downloaded. I don't remember what it is about though.

Having finished Mother Earth, Father Sky, I am now reading The Sky Unwashed, a novel about Chernobyl. I have just finished the sample and so far, so great. https://www.amazon.com/Sky-Unwashed-...5123251&sr=1-1
The Sky Unwashed is a delightful book. It sounds as though it would be depressing because it deals with Chernobyl but the characters are these wonderful wise-cracking old Ukrainian women and overall, it's more inspiring than depressing.
Spoiler
I would say it's about home. After all the evacuations due to Chernobyl, and sick with radiation poisoning, an old woman who has nowhere else to go, decides to return to her village which is one of those hardest hit by radiation. She doesn't truly understand that though, and waits for others in her village to return, and eventually a handful of them do. It's just very life-affirming and I felt completely at home with these bitchy women.

Dawn, I know I'm always wrong about the kind of books I think you might like, but I truly think you might like this.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:17 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
The Sky Unwashed is a delightful book. It sounds as though it would be depressing because it deals with Chernobyl but the characters are these wonderful wise-cracking old Ukrainian women and overall, it's more inspiring than depressing.
Spoiler
I would say it's about home. After all the evacuations due to Chernobyl, and sick with radiation poisoning, an old woman who has nowhere else to go, decides to return to her village which is one of those hardest hit by radiation. She doesn't truly understand that though, and waits for others in her village to return, and eventually a handful of them do. It's just very life-affirming and I felt completely at home with these bitchy women.

Dawn, I know I'm always wrong about the kind of books I think you might like, but I truly think you might like this.
Hahaha!

It sounds FABULOUS! I just looked it up, but your description of it made me request that my library order it. Thank you!!!

Old 01-24-2017, 03:10 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Hahaha!

It sounds FABULOUS! I just looked it up, but your description of it made me request that my library order it. Thank you!!!
Well, I hope you like it. It wasn't a hard read but it wasn't an easy read either. More a middle-of-the-road read. Overall, I think I'd describe it as charming, which sounds ridiculous given the back story. I liked all the characters for their flaws.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:00 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,100,741 times
I am really into another post apocalyptic series. The author is Sam Sisavath. It's called the Babylon series.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:35 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times
I read New Mexico by Zora O'Neill.It was okay.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:35 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
I am really into another post apocalyptic series. The author is Sam Sisavath. It's called the Babylon series.

I like Sam's books.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:32 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Prisoners of Geography by Tim Marshall

An absorbing non-fiction book about how geography drives a nation's history and ultimately, its destiny. I'm about half-way through, and I found the discussion of Russia very enlightening. Other chapters cover the United States, Africa, China, and Africa, among others. Great for a lay poli sci reader. You really don't have to be an expert to get a lot out of this book, although it might be handy to keep some maps on hand to keep you oriented as you're reading.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:56 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,100,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I like Sam's books.
I had never heard of him. The first book came across my kindle feed. I signed up for Amazon Prime just so I could keep reading this series for free. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books