Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2017, 02:09 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Is it The Most Dangerous Place in the World or is it The Most Dangerous Place on Earth?
Ack!! https://www.amazon.com/Most-Dangerou...place+on+earth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 03:03 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
No worries. That's the title that Marlow had written when she quoted you, to say that she'd added it to her TBR list. It's been added to mine as well. Thanks! xxo

Old 02-04-2017, 03:12 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
If anyone knows where I can get a copy of "The beauty queen of Jerusalem "I sure would appreciate it . The library does not know how to get the book either apparently . ugh and amazon and ebay want to charge me an arm and a leg for it . Budget wont allow me to pay that much for a book . if anyone knows where I can grab it for a decent price please let me know thanks ...btw reading the sleepwalker .
I assume you are in the states. Amazon has it used for just over $10 including shipping https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...=used&qid=&sr=

I have had good luck with used books.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:16 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. Although it is called a novel, it's more of an autobiography of the author, in which he describes his years in Bombay (now Mumbai,) India while on the run from criminal charges resulting from a bad heroin addiction he developed in his home country of Australia. The novel (?) details all the thieves, prostitutes, drug dealers, and other con men and swindlers he met along the way in India's most populous city, while still engaging in various criminal pursuits, and talks about the unlikely friendship he developed with a native. I picked it up on a BookBub Kindle sale for only $1.99, and it is a find. He's really funny and his descriptions of India and its people are so vivid I feel like I'm there myself. He has written one other book, but this one is much better, I have heard.

Old 02-04-2017, 04:12 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
I finished The Nix by Nathan Hill. Two words: Fabulous book.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:48 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
I just finished a remarkable read - a graphic novel, My Friend Dahmer.

As the name suggests, it was written by a former acquaintance of the serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer. They attended junior high and high school together in Ohio in the 1970s and Dahmer was for a time on the periphery of the author's group of friends. Dahmer's antics and sayings amused them to the extent that they had an informal Dahmer Fan Club. Hijinks included Dahmer's ubiquitous throwing of fake 'fits', as well as attempting to get Dahmer into yearbook photos to which he obviously did not belong (such as National Honor Society - Dahmer was a poor student).

The author is and was an artist, and several comic drawings of Dahmer from high school are included in the book. These obviously were produced many years before Dahmer's crimes came to light, and even before he had killed his first person. The story begins in junior high and ends with high school graduation, after which the author never encountered Dahmer again. Dahmer's first killing was committed shortly after that, but it not shown in the book.

The story is based both on the author's experiences, as well as extensive interviews with his former classmates and teachers/administrators, and also uses the interviews Dahmer gave post-arrest (the author notes that Dahmer was an unusually candid serial killer, his claims almost entirely confirmed, in contrast to most serial killers, who are manipulative liars even after conviction) as well as the FBI report on Dahmer. The book is annotated, with the author elaborating on many of the scenes depicted and describing his sources.

The story is compelling both for the unique perspective of someone who knew an infamous person pre-infamy, as well as for the peak into the dark side of high school life in the 1970s (but in many ways the setting is timeless).

My Friend Dahmer: The Unspeakable Horror of Life in the 1970s | TIME.com

Old 02-05-2017, 08:14 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,858,957 times
The Godmakers by Frank Herbert. Had this book for ages and finally reading it.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:32 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
I finished the book last night. It was a solid 4 stars. It might have been a little too long but I had more interruptions than I like reading it, so it could just be that it seemed long because I took so long to read it.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:12 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I finished The Nix by Nathan Hill. Two words: Fabulous book.
That one is ready for me to pick up from my library

Quote:
I'll try it thanks. I just placed a hold.

I am halfway through Hillbilly Elegy. It is good but not great. I'm not really learning anything new and he hasn't shown any insight as to how hillbillies can be helped to adapt better.

Next up is That's Not What They Meant by Michael Austin which is supposed to be an "unbiased" but more factual rebuttal to some extreme right wing books about our founding fathers.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true

Then an easy book maybe Prodigy (Legend #2) by Marie Lu before I start All the Shah's Men: An American Coup and the Roots of Middle East Terror by Stephen Kinzer.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...the_Shah_s_Men

Old 02-05-2017, 02:18 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
I assume you are in the states. Amazon has it used for just over $10 including shipping https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...=used&qid=&sr=

I have had good luck with used books.
Yes I am and I thank you but I don't spend over 2-3 dollars on a used book but thanks anyways
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books