Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2017, 10:02 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhogHR View Post
I am late to the book and this thread! "Mermaid's Chair"
One good thing about coming in late to this 10-year-old thread is that you have more than 18,000 posts to look at for book recommendations. You'll never be without a resource for the question, "What do I read next?"

Also, this thread is the nicest group of posters on C-D. So, welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 10:13 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I finished The Boy Kings of Texas by Domingo Martinez and I liked it, but think it would have been better with a good editor. On the plus side, the author's voice came through loud and clear. It was like sitting in a room and chatting with him. Or at least listening to him chat. On the minus side, I want more than that from a book. I want at least a little art. But like I said in my other post about it, the book was a finalist for the 2012 National Book Award, so what do I know?

Also, be warned that the author is not always likeable. He did some fairly crappy things, but he owns up to them.

If you liked Hillbilly Elegy, or The Glass Castle, or The Liar's Club, you might want to take a look at The Boy Kings of Texas. It has many of the same elements and takes place in a unique part of the country.

I grabbed a copy of Moby Dick when I was headed out the door. Don't ask me why, but I've never read it and thought I'd give it a shot.
You had me at The Glass Castle, so I've added The Boy Kings of Texas to my "to read" list. Thank you!
Then you lost me at Moby Dick.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:46 AM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
This has been on my "to read" list for a very long time. It was originally published (in Canada) with the title The Book of Negroes, which they used as the title for the movie as well.
Lawrence Hill is the brother of Dan Hill, of Sometimes When We Touch (song) fame. Or am I dating myself? Aren't the brothers Hill originally Montrealers?

Old 03-08-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Lawrence Hill is the brother of Dan Hill, of Sometimes When We Touch (song) fame. Or am I dating myself? Aren't the brothers Hill originally Montrealers?
Get OUT!!! I love(d) that song!!!! (I just dated myself too. We should date each other. )

I just looked them up -- they're from Toronto.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Get OUT!!! I love(d) that song!!!! (I just dated myself too. We should date each other. )

I just looked them up -- they're from Toronto.
Hehehe. At least someone remembers that song. I loved it too and swooned all over the idea of Dan Hill. I read an interview years ago, in which Dan Hill joked about being the "dumber" brother. I think The Book of Negroes won or was nominated for the Governer General's award.

ETA: I had forgotten about this, but the brothers also had a sister who is deceased and she has a book as well. And Dan Hill has an autobiography. I'm not sure I'm interested in his autobiography, but I am interested in the sister's book as I am interested in how she adapted to life in Germany. Even though it's a novel, something of her experiences should inform the book, I would think.

http://www.quillandquire.com/omni/ho...ovel-to-press/

https://www.amazon.com/Caf%C3%A9-Bab...cafe+babanussa

Last edited by netwit; 03-08-2017 at 11:39 AM..

Old 03-08-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I haven't done that either. I'm a great procrastinator. Actually, no, I'm really not a procrastinator at all. I rarely see movies, though, unless they're (finally) on TV. And even then, not so much.
That's very interesting because I rarely, rarely see movies. We definitely have to date.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Hehehe. At least someone remembers that song. I loved it too and swooned all over the idea of Dan Hill. I read an interview years ago, in which Dan Hill joked about being the "dumber" brother. I think The Book of Negroes won or was nominated for the Governer General's award.

ETA: I had forgotten about this, but the brothers also had a sister who is deceased and she has a book as well. And Dan Hill has an autobiography. I'm not sure I'm interested in his autobiography, but I am interested in the sister's book as I am interested in how she adapted to life in Germany. Even though it's a novel, something of her experiences should inform the book, I would think.

How Lawrence Hill shepherded his late sister Karen

https://www.amazon.com/Caf%C3%A9-Bab...cafe+babanussa
Yeah! I saw Karen mentioned when I looked up to see where the brothers hailed from. Her book isn't in e-book format, unfortunately.

The Book of Negroes won the Commonwealth Writers' Prize in 2008.

Quote:
That's very interesting because I rarely, rarely see movies. We definitely have to date.
Sweet!

Old 03-08-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah! I saw Karen mentioned when I looked up to see where the brothers hailed from. Her book isn't in e-book format, unfortunately.

The Book of Negroes won the Commonwealth Writers' Prize in 2008.
Yes, it is in an e-book format!

Old 03-08-2017, 12:21 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
No Price Too High.
I'll be starting it later today.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:36 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
You had me at The Glass Castle, so I've added The Boy Kings of Texas to my "to read" list. Thank you!
Then you lost me at Moby Dick.
I haven't actually started Moby Dick yet, so we'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books