Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2009, 08:29 PM

550 posts, read 1,355,578 times

Advertisements

Anthony Bourdain "Kitchen Confidential"

It is more of an autobiography of Bourdain. Great read. If you love no reservations and his narration and humor in it, you'll love this book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 06:29 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,545,596 times
About 3 chapters into - " Imposter" by Bruce Bartlett - about how George W. Bush bankruped America. Bartlett actually worked in Treasurey for H W Bush and during W's first term AND he is a Republican, so he knows of what he speaks. I am finding it disheartening how we ended up in this mess we are in right now.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:33 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak.
Are you enjoying it? I gave it a shot and absolutely could not get into it. I was so disappointed. I still have it but it is not calling to me. Perhaps it gets better or maybe I was just not in the mood for that style of writing. I plan to give it another try in a month or two after I read The Girl in the Italian Bakery and this mammoth Stephen King novel and a couple of others I have.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:53 PM

36 posts, read 81,703 times
I'm halfway through "In the Company of Soldiers" by Rick Atkinson. Its a good read from a former Washington Post reporter who was embedded with the 101st Airborne during Gulf II. He was with the HQ group that included Gen. David Petraeus - gives a lot of insights as to how his mind works.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:05 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
Originally Posted by tigerlily
I picked up The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo authored by Stieg Larsson, a book my favorite Powell's book seller recommended. He told me Larsson has written only three books, and he recently passed away. So, there will be no more books. Has anyone read this book?

I read that though he only had the final three manuscripts done, he actually had outlines for more books that were not written yet....I can't remember how many there were supposed to be in the series, maybe 9 or something like that.

I am hoping they find someone else to write them.
I finished Dragon Tattoo and as a PP noted couldn't put it down. I'll wait for the second to come out in paper. Hopefully, another writer will continue with this great series.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:08 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
I want that one so bad - but having already exceeded my annual budget by nearly half a thousand dollars, I figure I won't be able to afford any more books until about next June! Have to see if I can talk my brother into getting it for me.
Just wanted to let everyone know, I was able to talk my brother into buying this for me - now I just have to wait for FedEx to give him a load out this way so he can bring it to me! (He's a driver for FedEx)

Old 11-15-2009, 12:47 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Rereading Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer. I love the beginning but I guess New Moon and Eclipse are my favourite parts of this series.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:48 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I finished Dragon Tattoo and as a PP noted couldn't put it down. I'll wait for the second to come out in paper. Hopefully, another writer will continue with this great series.
I guess this is the book to the movie I saw in the theater yesterday. Great movie so the book must be a page turner!

Old 11-15-2009, 05:35 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Lochrie View Post
My post will probably be deteted because I am the author of this book.
It seems that by talking about it, it is considered advertising but I would love to hear from anyone who has read it.
It's an autobigraphy with particular attention to my 11 years in the Legion Parachute Regiment.
Can you tell us something about it?
I haven't read it, but might if I could find out more about it.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:09 PM

51 posts, read 87,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Are you enjoying it? I gave it a shot and absolutely could not get into it. I was so disappointed. I still have it but it is not calling to me. Perhaps it gets better or maybe I was just not in the mood for that style of writing. I plan to give it another try in a month or two after I read The Girl in the Italian Bakery and this mammoth Stephen King novel and a couple of others I have.
I have tried The Book Thief as well, but I could not get through it. A couple of friends have told me that it was one of the best books that they have ever read, so I keep looking at it sitting on my nightstand and wondering what I am missing.

I am currently reading Marked from the House of Night series. My 13 daughter wants to read it, so I am pre-reading it to see if it is appropriate. So far, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books