Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2017, 09:34 AM

7,263 posts, read 9,273,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Do I know you?
And, yes, I still have The Sky Unwashed on my "to read" list. If my library here doesn't get it before I move, I'll get it from my library in Ottawa. They have it; I checked.

I always link, except when:

- it's the second (or third, etc.) time that I've mentioned the book. I only link on first mention. (That's my technical editor persona seeping through to real life. )
- the book is lousy and I didn't finish it. If I didn't like it enough to finish it, I'm clearly not recommending it. If you want to take the time to google it (even though I purposely didn't linky-dink it), that's fine. I just didn't want to waste my time or yours.
I remember you mentioning The Lowlands several times, along with the author's name (which I can't spell without looking it up and I'm too lazy to do that) And I had downloaded samples but they got lost in the middle of all my other samples until now. I've spent a couple of hours here and there recently trying to organize everything into categories.

I still haven't settled on my next book. As things turned out, I went to bed very early and slept very long. I've been spending a lot of time with my new horse whom my old horses don't like. He's lonesome. He is very dog-like. He is the most dog-like horse I have ever known. I'm thinking of renaming him Rover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Well I have a right to be interested in whatever genres I like, and if people posted genres then at least I would have some basis to consider their recommendation other than title and author.

Also as another member mentioned, a link to Goodreads or Amazon or other site with a description of the book would be useful.

As it is, this topic is not helping me very much, and I doubt my own posts are helping other members much either. Perhaps everybody will be better off if I just rely on my usual methods of finding books to add to my read list.
Well, you never know whether your posts are helping other people. Plus, this is a thread for posting what you are reading. I see it as a bonus if I hear about a book that might interest me, but not necessary to my enjoyment of this thread. I hope you keep posting.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:08 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,953,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I remember you mentioning The Lowlands several times, along with the author's name (which I can't spell without looking it up and I'm too lazy to do that) And I had downloaded samples but they got lost in the middle of all my other samples until now. I've spent a couple of hours here and there recently trying to organize everything into categories.

I still haven't settled on my next book. As things turned out, I went to bed very early and slept very long. I've been spending a lot of time with my new horse whom my old horses don't like. He's lonesome. He is very dog-like. He is the most dog-like horse I have ever known. I'm thinking of renaming him Rover.
How you know that you read a lot: Someone (you!) says that someone else (me!) mentioned a book several times, but I don't remember the plot at all. I just know that I enjoyed it because, except for her one dud, Jhumpa Lahiri (I know that I love her if I can spell it without help ) is (almost) perfect.

Maybe you can rename your horse Jhumpa. Yes, I know the horse is a boy. But if he's a jumper, then Jhumpa is clev---no, it's not clever; it's silly. I need more sleep. You obviously took some of mine. I hope that you're feeling well, sweets.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:18 AM

Pinetreelover:

I laughed out loud at your rep comment about my hatred for short stories and then, just today, I came across this collection which is *supposed* to be terrific. There are no reviews on Amazon (I think it's a Canadian publication, so that could be the reason) and it got 5 stars on Goodreads (but only based on 10 reviews, which could amount to all of the author's friends and family). Oh. The name of the collection. Yeah. It's called Wait Till You See Me Dance by Deb Olin Unferth.

Do you still have my email address? (I can't find yours.) If you're interested in the book, email me before you buy it, okay?

Old 03-22-2017, 10:52 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,911,707 times
Quote:

Pinetreelover:

I laughed out loud at your rep comment about my hatred for short stories and then, just today, I came across this collection which is *supposed* to be terrific. There are no reviews on Amazon (I think it's a Canadian publication, so that could be the reason) and it got 5 stars on Goodreads (but only based on 10 reviews, which could amount to all of the author's friends and family). Oh. The name of the collection. Yeah. It's called Wait Till You See Me Dance by Deb Olin Unferth.

Do you still have my email address? (I can't find yours.) If you're interested in the book, email me before you buy it, okay?
Thanks, Dawn! I will definitely email you about this collection. My favorite short story author, Alice Munro, is a Canadian so I'm taking it that y'all know your way around a good short story!

Old 03-22-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Thanks, Dawn! I will definitely email you about this collection. My favorite short story author, Alice Munro, is a Canadian so I'm taking it that y'all know your way around a good short story!
I love Alice Munro. She is about the only short story writer of whom I am a big fan.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I love Alice Munro. She is about the only short story writer of whom I am a big fan.
And Jhumpa Lahiri -- once you read hers.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
And Jhumpa Lahiri -- once you read hers.
Well, if pinetreelver likes Alice Munroe and likes Lahiri, and if you don't like short stories, then maybe I will give her a try.

I felt I could see the short story writer in her novel in the way her scenes were arranged.

But about The Sky Unwashed - I haven't read a novel that so warmed my heart and made me feel cheerful in a long time. Which is entirely weird given it is about Chernobyl but the characters were so true to me, I felt so at home. I wish I could find another book like that.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:49 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,059,184 times
Quote:
Well, you never know whether your posts are helping other people. Plus, this is a thread for posting what you are reading. I see it as a bonus if I hear about a book that might interest me, but not necessary to my enjoyment of this thread. I hope you keep posting.
Well the problem for me is that I am trying to help others with my posts, but I'm getting nothing out of this topic.

All I'm seeing is titles and authors and "oh I really liked this book" I go look it up on Amazon and it's nothing that interests me.

I don't expect anybody to change just to help me, and evidently my ideas are falling on deaf ears, so I guess it will be best for everybody for me to just quit subscribing and posting to this topic and return to my tried and true methods of finding good books.

Best luck to everybody! Happy reading!

Old 03-22-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Well, if pinetreelver likes Alice Munroe and likes Lahiri, and if you don't like short stories, then maybe I will give her a try.

I felt I could see the short story writer in her novel in the way her scenes were arranged.

But about The Sky Unwashed - I haven't read a novel that so warmed my heart and made me feel cheerful in a long time. Which is entirely weird given it is about Chernobyl but the characters were so true to me, I felt so at home. I wish I could find another book like that.
I'm *definitely* going to read The Sky Unwashed. I promise you that. Just the synopsis reeled me in. I'm all in... once I can get it from the library.

Jhumpa Lahiri's short stories are like novels -- they are so fully fleshed out and packed with details. That's the only reason that I read them and loved them. Here's how one reviewer -- among many who said the same thing but in different words -- put it: "Perhaps a new term needs to be used for short stories such as these. Each one is jam-packed with details that never bog down; each one is as dense and rich as a novel. The writing never falters; it is always smooth, flowing and self-assured."

Have I convinced you yet? If so, start with The Interpreter of Maladies. Then move onto Unaccustomed Earth, assuming that you loved The Interpreter of Maladies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books