Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2017, 11:06 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
OK...I need some cheery books. I had to out my little Niki girl to sleep yesterday. I'm still weepy today.

My girl
http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...2003-2017.html
I'm so sorry! Believe me, I understand how you are feeling. Over the years, we've had to put several beloved pets to sleep - most recently, our sweetie here (Cato, our kitty boy of 13 years). It's just heartbreaking.

My dad used to say, "All pet stories have sad endings" and that's the truth. But oh, the joy they bring to us!

I can't even imagine the sort of brain that justified cruelty to animals - or even indifference. They live their lives for us - well, particularly dogs (and this cat but I know not all cats are like that!).
Attached Thumbnails
What book are you reading?-cato-grocery-bag.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 11:23 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
OK...I need some cheery books. I had to out my little Niki girl to sleep yesterday. I'm still weepy today.

My girl
http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...2003-2017.html
Oh, Lisa, I'm so sorry! I've got no words that will make this easier -- I know that -- but I'm sending you big, warm, tight hugs. And I'm crying with you.

PS. I still cry about Artie and it's been 3 and a half years.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Oh, Lisa, I'm so sorry! I've got no words that will make this easier -- I know that -- but I'm sending you big, warm, tight hugs. And I'm crying with you.

And that's OK. They're our family - and in many cases they have better hearts than many family members.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:54 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And that's OK. They're our family - and in many cases they have better hearts than many family members.
100% right -- on all counts. I'm sorry for your losses. It's heartbreaking every time.

Two quotes from Sir Walter Scott:

“I have sometimes thought of the final cause of dogs having such short lives and I am quite satisfied it is in compassion to the human race; for if we suffer so much in losing a dog after an acquaintance of ten or twelve years, what would it be if they were to live double that time?â€

“The misery of keeping a dog is his dying so soon. But, to be sure, if he lived for fifty years and then died, what would become of me?â€

Old 04-12-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
100% right -- on all counts. I'm sorry for your losses. It's heartbreaking every time.

Two quotes from Sir Walter Scott:

“I have sometimes thought of the final cause of dogs having such short lives and I am quite satisfied it is in compassion to the human race; for if we suffer so much in losing a dog after an acquaintance of ten or twelve years, what would it be if they were to live double that time?”

“The misery of keeping a dog is his dying so soon. But, to be sure, if he lived for fifty years and then died, what would become of me?”

Wow, you're not kidding.

This is the truth - Every single day of my life I thank God for making dogs. They are so amazing and their love is so pure.

Quote:
O God, enlarge within us the sense of fellowship with all living things, our brothers the animals to whom Thou gavest the earth as their home in common with us.

We remember with shame that in the past we have exercised the high dominion of man with ruthless cruelty, so that the voice of the earth, which should have gone up to Thee in song, has been a groan of travail.

May we realize that they live not for us alone, but for themselves and for Thee and that they love the sweetness of life even as we do, and serve Thee better in their place than we in ours.

For those, O Lord, the humble beasts, that bear with us the burden and heat of the day, and offer their guileless lives for the well-being of mankind; and for the wild creatures, whom Thou hast made wise, strong, and beautiful, we supplicate for them Thy great tenderness of heart, for Thou hast promised to save both man and beast and great is Thy loving kindness, O Master, Savior of the world.
https://reinkat.wordpress.com/2011/0...r-the-animals/

Old 04-12-2017, 01:39 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm so sorry! Believe me, I understand how you are feeling. Over the years, we've had to put several beloved pets to sleep - most recently, our sweetie here (Cato, our kitty boy of 13 years). It's just heartbreaking.

My dad used to say, "All pet stories have sad endings" and that's the truth. But oh, the joy they bring to us!

I can't even imagine the sort of brain that justified cruelty to animals - or even indifference. They live their lives for us - well, particularly dogs (and this cat but I know not all cats are like that!).

Quote:

Thank you so much ladies. I have never had a dog until old age and it is really hard. They are our family...and yeah I liked her much better than a lot of people...even family, lol.

Anyway....I need some light hearted books if you can think of any. Otherwise I will just fall into some sappy romance books with happy endings right now. I can do "happy" crying because I am tired of sad crying.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:43 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Thank you so much ladies. I have never had a dog until old age and it is really hard. They are our family...and yeah I liked her much better than a lot of people...even family, lol.

Anyway....I need some light hearted books if you can think of any. Otherwise I will just fall into some sappy romance books with happy endings right now. I can do "happy" crying because I am tired of sad crying.
I'm so sorry, Lisa. I've seen quite a few dogs through to old age and it never gets easier. My heart dog died a year ago in January. And Mister, my now-oldest dog will be 14 in July. It's hard not to think of the limited time left. I am grateful that my other dog is still young.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:47 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I'm reading a prequel to Tales of the Otari by Lian Hearn, Heaven's Net is Wide. I stumbled across the Tales of the Otari series some years ago. It's a fantasy set in medieval Japan. It's a wonderful series that transcends its genre and after I've finished this prequel, I'll be reading book 4 in the series, as I have not yet read that book. https://www.amazon.com/Heavens-Net-W...rds=lian+hearn

Old 04-12-2017, 01:55 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
I am reading a "serial" novel by Christopher Cameron set in 14th century Europe--main character is Tom Swan, bastard son of an English Cardinal and a Southwark's ***** who becomes a knight and in this part of the serial has a company of Knights (Italian, German) and other people going to Belgrade on Crusade against the Turks...
There was a previous book/serialized as well about how he came to be in Europe and his adventures working as a spy for a different Cardinal...
There are three volumes so far--this is the 2nd one--each serial part is about 100 pages--costs .99 on Amazon Kindle...
So total cost of the entire book might be $7 or so...

I have read other novels by Cameron--he has written about the Greek era and also about another knight--William Gold...
Well drawn characters, complicated plots because of the political intrigue, and lot of action...
Very good if you enjoy military history or just good historical fiction...his facts are spot-on from what I can tell...

Old 04-12-2017, 01:59 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Quote:

I sent my friend a copy of the book written by Ellen DeGeneress's mother--about Ellen
She likes her and think she is enjoying the book but haven't asked her lately if she finished it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books