Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2017, 12:37 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,529,408 times

Advertisements

The Long-Shadowed Forest, Helen Hoover. Read it years ago, just found it again at a resale store. Wonderful reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 01:52 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I liked it but I did it as a group read so it was different for me. I tend to enjoy "some" books better when I can discuss them as we go.

I don't think it changes and if it wasn't the right time for me I may have given up.

On another note I am finally into The New Jim Crow. It is excellent and sad how corrupt our War on Drugs started and continues. And the Three Strike Rule although I always thought that was unjust.
Agree about The New Jim Crow. I could never under stand why crack cocaine defendants were given harsher sentences than cocaine powder until the racial issue was reported.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:48 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,384,743 times
Since I've read a few books and my to-read-pile is getting a little lower, I've had the to order some books from the used book store which is called the internet.

So here they go:
Helen Hanff: 84, Charing Cross Road

Ryan North: Machine of Death (my first time ever short story book!)

Benoit Groult: Salz auf unserer Haut (I couldn't find the English version since he's a French author and only the French and German version were available). I've read the book about 20 years ago and I don't know if I liked it, so I'll give it another try.

Cormac McCarthy: The Road (Thanks Lisa, I'm in a "Apocalypse whenever" group on good reads and they are voting for the next book. It seems The Road is there next choice. I didn't have time to go on reading All The Pretty Horses so I'm still unsure if I like his writing at all...)

Jhumpa Lahiri: The Interpreter of Maladies

Ann Packer: The Dive from Clausen's Pier

Mary Doria Russel: A Thread of Grace

I guess this is a good mix of all kind of genres and I can't wait to have more time to read again!!! We'll be on the road again this weekend to visit my cousin so there will be some time to read in the car

Old 04-26-2017, 06:28 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
I'm still reading The Descendants by Kaui Hart Hemmings. I'm at 68%. I've got to tell you: the story is not one that I'd typically go for (it's not the most realistic) but, holy wow, Hemmings can write. The dialogue is FANTASTIC! Even the inner dialogue is terrific -- he thinks something like "his t-shirt said Stanford [whatevers] on it, which was just vile, and..." The "which was just vile" is just perfect. The characters are whip-smart and their interactions are brilliant.

I like her writing so much that I've already downloaded another by her (The Possibilities) and I'm even thinking of reading her short-story collection (you read that right, Pinetreelover!) House of Thieves, even though the first story was the basis for The Descendants so that will be a bit too redux for me. Her other two books hold no interest for me -- one is very YA and the other sounds silly.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 04-26-2017 at 06:47 AM..

Old 04-26-2017, 12:40 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
I'm getting ready to start the apache wars by paul Andrew hutton , I hope it is a good one . I received an arc of it .

Old 04-26-2017, 01:49 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times
I just finished Muscle and a Shovel by Michael Shank.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:58 PM

I just got a Euro version of Based on a True Story and it sounds incredible. It releases in the U.S. on May 9.

Of course I'm months away from being able to sink my teeth into it, but it's on my Kindle, waiting.

If anyone is interested in reading it (some of you know the drill on this -- for better or for worse), let me know.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:09 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,406 times
Just started two books -- one on audio (the first time I've listened solely to the audio version, without also having a paper version) and one traditional book.

Audio: Invisible Man Got the Whole World Watching: A Young Black Man's Education, by Mychal Denzel Smith

Paper: The Undoing Project, by Michael Lewis.

Both are very good so far.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Audio: Invisible Man Got the Whole World Watching: A Young Black Man's Education, by Mychal Denzel Smith

Never heard of it but just read the sample on Amazon. Riveting! And now on my "to read" list. Thanks for the recommendation.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:15 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Never heard of it but just read the sample on Amazon. Riveting! And now on my "to read" list. Thanks for the recommendation.
Always glad to add to someone's To Read list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books