Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2017, 06:56 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,316,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Wait. What? WAIT! Does Mike know that you're getting married?!?!? No, seriously, I thought you two were already married. Married for decades, married. Anyway, HUGE congratulations!!!! May you be as happy as you've been all of these unmarried years. Best of everything wishes to both of you.

Thank you. Yeah it wasn't a surprise to the family, lol. We've known each other 41 years, been together almost 20. It was just easier to say husband. Boyfriend sounds dumb at our age, partner makes it sound like same sex, and yeah....it was just easier as we knew we would be the last ones for each other, lol.

Anyway just to be different we are getting married in a helicopter while flying over Niagara Falls.

The new place is great! I'd love for you to come help! I know how much you love that stuff. I'm doing it in stages:

Stage 1 (now)
----------------
a) Kitchen counter (white quartz) has been installed Sounds pretty...I like quartz. What color are your cabinets?
b) Backsplash installation starts on Wednesday

Stage 2 (hopefully before year end)
----------------------------------------
The main floor is a huge open-concept space. I have dark hardwood (gorgeous!) in my living room and dining area. That area bleeds into the kitchen, which is L-shaped, and I'm going to use the short part of the L as my dining room. That flooring is -- wait... sit down... ready? -- linoleum. On Tuesday, I have a flooring guy coming to quote me on the cost of continuing the living room hardwood throughout. I got one quote already (a guy emailed me), which was about $5000 because he said that he'd have to sand/stain/finish the existing floor so that he could get a good match. That's not happening. I'll see what this guy says and whether he has other options to offer me, even if it's wood or laminate that's a close color match... or maybe I'll go with tile (although the labor of tile installation might make that not a good option). We shall see.

I love dark floors although they do show everything. Ha,ha I actually have a wood grain linoleum and it works for us. It is almost bullet proof and with our lifestyle we need all the help we can get with floors, lol.

Good luck with the quotes.

Stage 3 (I don't know when)
--------------------------------
a) Replace bathroom vanities in both bathrooms upstairs
b) Replace shower stall in my main bathroom
c) Replace all three toilets (they all act wonky in their own way -- two are being replaced sooner rather than later, before the end of the summer)

In time you will make it "your" home.

Okay, enough about this stuff. GET YOUR CLOTHES READY AND GO GET MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations again!!! <3 XOXO

A new house is so exciting. I hope you get it just the way you imagine it

Yup I'll be a Mrs. . I think Mike's mother is going to get a big kick out of having another Mrs. Michael....., lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 07:24 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,923,088 times
Quote:
Thank you. Yeah it wasn't a surprise to the family, lol. We've known each other 41 years, been together almost 20. It was just easier to say husband. Boyfriend sounds dumb at our age, partner makes it sound like same sex, and yeah....it was just easier as we knew we would be the last ones for each other, lol.

Anyway just to be different we are getting married in a helicopter while flying over Niagara Falls.

Yup I'll be a Mrs. . I think Mike's mother is going to get a big kick out of having another Mrs. Michael....., lol.
I love this! ALL OF THIS!!!!

Quote:

Kitchen counter (white quartz) has been installed Sounds pretty...I like quartz. What color are your cabinets?
That's the interesting thing. I didn't like the cabinet color -- beige. So I did two things:

1. Removed the doors from the top cabinets. I have some pretty stuff, with great pops of color, so I figured this would be a good idea. (To circle this back to the topic of books, I'd done the same thing to an apartment that I had in Montreal -- removed the top cabinet doors -- and made a library in the kitchen, mixed in with dishes and knick-knacks. It was very cool.)

Please disregard the mess, the missing backsplash, and the empty cabinets (I have to put the rest of the antique tins up, like in the top left cabinet).

2. Planned to paint the bottom cabinet doors. As it turns out, I love the white on cream. (I've renamed beige to cream now. Ha!)

Quote:
I love dark floors although they do show everything. Ha,ha I actually have a wood grain linoleum and it works for us. It is almost bullet proof and with our lifestyle we need all the help we can get with floors, lol.

Good luck with the quotes.
Same, same. Love them and hate them at the same time. I'm not sure why this picture came out so dark. It's very bright in here right now, almost blindingly so. But anyway...

The counter extends out and two stools are being delivered next week. That hanging fixture will be removed. That's where the previous owners had their dining room table. (The space is larger than it appears in this picture -- bad angle. It's a large space between the living room and the kitchen, but I'm liking the blank space to give the eyes a rest.) I'm having my dining room on the other side/end of the kitchen, in front of the sliders out to the deck.

Quote:
In time you will make it "your" home.
A new house is so exciting. I hope you get it just the way you imagine it
Thank you, Mrs. Mike!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-25-2017, 09:20 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,252,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post

In a week we will be traveling to get married and then big visit with family. Anyway lots of prep work...lawns, cleaning, and getting clothes ready.

Wow! Whoda' thunk it? Getting married. Fabulous. Congrats, Lisa and Mike.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:50 AM

7,247 posts, read 9,251,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
How's the new place? What renovating are you doing? Wish I could help. I love doing those

I'm kind of in a reading slump. I am reading 2 books but just not getting far. I read maybe 30 pages a day and I get sidetracked. I guess it is understandable. In a week we will be traveling to get married and then big visit with family. Anyway lots of prep work...lawns, cleaning, and getting clothes ready.
Yay! Wow! Congratulations!

Old 06-25-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I love this! ALL OF THIS!!!!

That's the interesting thing. I didn't like the cabinet color -- beige. So I did two things:

1. Removed the doors from the top cabinets. I have some pretty stuff, with great pops of color, so I figured this would be a good idea. (To circle this back to the topic of books, I'd done the same thing to an apartment that I had in Montreal -- removed the top cabinet doors -- and made a library in the kitchen, mixed in with dishes and knick-knacks. It was very cool.)

Please disregard the mess, the missing backsplash, and the empty cabinets (I have to put the rest of the antique tins up, like in the top left cabinet).

2. Planned to paint the bottom cabinet doors. As it turns out, I love the white on cream. (I've renamed beige to cream now. Ha!)

Same, same. Love them and hate them at the same time. I'm not sure why this picture came out so dark. It's very bright in here right now, almost blindingly so. But anyway...

The counter extends out and two stools are being delivered next week. That hanging fixture will be removed. That's where the previous owners had their dining room table. (The space is larger than it appears in this picture -- bad angle. It's a large space between the living room and the kitchen, but I'm liking the blank space to give the eyes a rest.) I'm having my dining room on the other side/end of the kitchen, in front of the sliders out to the deck.

Thank you, Mrs. Mike!!!!!!!!!!
Wow, Dawn. Very nice. The horror of my own kitchen renovations are not so far in the past that your post doesn't give me a few shudders. Love the floor and making a library in the kitchen.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Wow, Dawn. Very nice. The horror of my own kitchen renovations are not so far in the past that your post doesn't give me a few shudders. Love the floor and making a library in the kitchen.
Thanks, netwit! The library in the kitchen was in the 1990s -- I'm not doing that again. This time, I just took the top cabinet doors off and have (gasp!) actual kitchen things in there.

I did (well, HAD it done) a whole kitchen reno in Connecticut. Floor, cabinets, counter, the whole nine yards. It was exactly how you described it: a horror. In the end, though, I loved that kitchen. Then two years later we moved to Massachusetts. The MA kitchen was brand-new (labels still on the appliances, cabinets, etc.) and was actually nicer than the one that I did in CT. It was especially nicer because it was done right before we bought the house and it didn't inconvenience me one bit.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Thanks, netwit! The library in the kitchen was in the 1990s -- I'm not doing that again. This time, I just took the top cabinet doors off and have (gasp!) actual kitchen things in there.

I did (well, HAD it done) a whole kitchen reno in Connecticut. Floor, cabinets, counter, the whole nine yards. It was exactly how you described it: a horror. In the end, though, I loved that kitchen. Then two years later we moved to Massachusetts. The MA kitchen was brand-new (labels still on the appliances, cabinets, etc.) and was actually nicer than the one that I did in CT. It was especially nicer because it was done right before we bought the house and it didn't inconvenience me one bit.
I browse through house listings sometimes and find so much I'd want to change that I wonder if it wouldn't be simpler to build a new house even though I like character homes.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I browse through house listings sometimes and find so much I'd want to change that I wonder if it wouldn't be simpler to build a new house even though I like character homes.
Yup, I'm with you.

Pro tip: Never go onto the Houzz website. You'll never close the browser tab. NEVER. It's a design, decorating, remodeling website with tons of ideas, pictures, etc. I had to stop going on there. I wanted to buy or redo something every hour.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:41 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,371,556 times
Just finished "Machine of Death", a collection of short stories. The first half was okay, then the story got boring. Even though you could get different points of you about a machine predicting how you would die, which was good and made me think about if I would want to know how everything ends. However, 31 short stories about this one subject were a little much for my taste.

Just started "The Changeling" by Robin Jenkins and "Unzertrennlich" by Dora Heldt, a German author who specializes in all day stories about an island in the North Sea.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:50 AM

Quote:
I've had that book on my Kindle for years. I need to retire. And to stop home renovations.
I finished The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August but I don't think it's your kind of book. It leans too much into science fiction, at least in the last half. I give it four stars. It didn't blow me away but it was a good read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books