Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2017, 11:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
I know that they are other forums for this but I like the people on this forum. The people on the other forums are so annoying and boring. Then the sites with the people that aren't so boring are more immature then I am! Anyway, I'm currently reading "The Kite Runner" and it's great so far. Below is my list of books I've read recently and yes, I liked them all.
1. Time Traveler's wife (chicklit)
2. Forever by Pete Hamill
3. The Red Tent (chicklit)
4. All of the Harry Potter Books (Loads of fun)
5. Middlesex
6. A Million Little Pieces
7. The 5 People You meet in Heaven
8. Yes, yes - The DaVinci Code
9. Memoirs of a Geisha

My all time Favorite book is Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison. I can go on and on. But the the book I keep going back to over and over again is 1-2-3 Magic: Effective Discipline for Children 2-12. I love my kids but they drive me crazy
Well I just finished reading 2 delightful dog books: one was A dogs purpose and the sequel. a Dogs journey. I am about to order the third one. I also may start a new Reagan book that my husband is just finishing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 12:32 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,723,726 times
After a tumultuous 5 months, my husband passed away in March and my mom in June, took a beach vacation and read Whiskey River by Nora Roberts. Typical Nora Roberts book, but an easy beach house read.

Something just caught my eye on Good Reads, Bed Stuy is Burning, by Brian Platzer. I am familiar with Bed Stuy and the rapid gentrification happening there, sometimes not all good comes of it. So think I'll head to the book store tomorrow and purchase it.

Last edited by njkate; 08-06-2017 at 12:48 PM..

Old 08-06-2017, 12:40 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
After a tumultuous 5 months, my husband passed away in March and my mom in June, took a beach vacation and read Whiskey River by Nora Roberts. Typical Nora Roberts book, but an easy beach house read.

Something just caught my eye on Good Reads, Bed Stuy is Burning, by Brian Platzer. So think I'll head to the book store tomorrow and purchase it.

I am so sorry for all that you have been through. My condolences.

I'm glad you got away to the beach. Yes Nora Roberts does write good beach reads.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:40 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
After a tumultuous 5 months, my husband passed away in March and my mom in June...
Oh my gosh, Kate, I'm so sorry! Big warm hugs to you.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:51 PM

35,051 posts, read 16,995,362 times
I just finished WOLF NATION: The Life, Death, and Return of Wild American Wolves, by Brenda Peterson.

The book was a bit ideologically driven for my tastes. I am in favor of wolf reintroduction. I do not feel I ned to buy into an anti capitalist narrative, or embrace climate change hysteria to favor introducing a keystone predator adept at preventing ungulates such as elk and deer from wrecking the forests.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:41 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,559 times
Quote:

Something just caught my eye on Good Reads, Bed Stuy is Burning, by Brian Platzer. I am familiar with Bed Stuy and the rapid gentrification happening there, sometimes not all good comes of it. So think I'll head to the book store tomorrow and purchase it.
I'm so sorry that you have had such a difficult few months. Hugs and good thoughts to you.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:04 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,547,665 times
I'm just having a hard time reading. I've got "Second Glance" by Jodi Picoult in print, and "Desert Queen: The Extraordinary Life of Gertrude Bell, Adventurer, Adviser to Kings, Ally of Lawrence of Arabia" by Janet Wallach on ebook, and I've pretty much given up listening to "The Eight" by Katherine Neville -- all because I am spending all my time listening to the unfolding true crime drama of our present political theater -- and I DO mean theater -- fiction just cannot beat this 24/7 soap opera!

How do you all manage to READ?

Old 08-06-2017, 08:43 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,799,413 times
Default So many books, so little time

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I'm just having a hard time reading. I've got "Second Glance" by Jodi Picoult in print, and "Desert Queen: The Extraordinary Life of Gertrude Bell, Adventurer, Adviser to Kings, Ally of Lawrence of Arabia" by Janet Wallach on ebook, and I've pretty much given up listening to "The Eight" by Katherine Neville -- all because I am spending all my time listening to the unfolding true crime drama of our present political theater -- and I DO mean theater -- fiction just cannot beat this 24/7 soap opera!

How do you all manage to READ?

Desert Queen
is excellent - it was also made into a movie fairly recently (N. Kidman in the lead - not sure that's good casting, although she may have had the accent), which I haven't seen. Her life (Bell) was complicated, & I doubt she was very happy. She enjoyed her work, to be sure - but I don't think she found much happiness. Then again, she was @ the cutting edge of the last great colonial land grab in the Middle East - with France, & I understood from the book that she wasn't brought up to pursue happiness, but to be of use to her country.

As for time, I'm (we're, actually) retired. I watch Jeopardy, The Daily Show, & otherwise I'll flip around the channels to see if there's anything of interest. There usually isn't, & I have an enormous amount of reading that I want to do, plus whatever catches my eye in new books & following my usual interests - a fairly eclectic mix of this, that & the other. I read the regional daily, & skim the local daily.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:03 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,723,726 times
I'm at my daughters in NJ now and the Barnes and Noble by her is open until 9pm on Sundays so I went and bought
Bed Stuy is Burning by Brian Platzer.

I did see another book, Hillbilly Elegy by JD Vance that interested me, so bought it too and started it last night. Fascinating read.

A quote from NY Times review, "His people — hillbillies, rednecks, white trash, choose your epithet (or term of affection, depending on your point of view) — didn’t step off the Mayflower and become part of America’s ascendant class. “Poverty is the family tradition,” he writes. His ancestors and kin were sharecroppers, coal miners, machinists, millworkers — all low-paying, body-wearying occupations that over the years have vanished or offered diminished security."

These are the people who helped Trump ascent into presidency.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/11/b...ove-trump.html

Rain in forecast today so a good day to curl up with this book.

Last edited by njkate; 08-07-2017 at 07:11 AM..

Old 08-07-2017, 07:18 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,192,672 times
Just finished Tangled Webs by James B. Stewart about the lies that 4 people--Scooter Libby, Martha Stewart, Bernie Madoff & Barry Bonds--told and how they were caught. The section on Scooter Libby is particularly relevant today. And ironically, Comey featured quite prominently in that case & the Martha Stewart one too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books