Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2017, 10:16 AM

385 posts, read 205,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I just finished the novel "Pachinko" by Min Jin Lee. I enjoyed it. Basically it is the five generation saga of a Korean family in Korea and then in Japan. For those readers who enjoy learning about cultures this is the book to learn about Koreans and the treatment they received at the hands of Japan.

All my teachers in elementary school were Japanese. We were stationed on Oahu, Hawaii and it was not long after the end of WWII. I loved each and every one of them. I can't imagine the vetting they went through in the early 50s to be allowed to teach in a school on a US military base. Their accents were thick. We kids had no problem understanding them but our parents had a hard time understanding due to accents. I can still sing a couple of Christmas carols in Japanese and Hawaiian. I don't remember what I had for lunch yesterday but I can sing those songs.

This book does not attack the Japanese but instead it tells us the story of how a Korean family made its way to Japan and how the two cultures clashed. I recommend it. The editing is perfect. The author's writing style is excellent and enjoyable to read.

https://www.amazon.com/Pachinko-Nati...by+min+jin+lee
I soooo want to read Pachinko!

I just completed The Daughter of the Pirate King. It was a quick read. I need to decide what to read next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 11:21 AM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times
I just finished reading 'Stories from Ancient Canaan,' edited and translated by Michael D. Coogan and Mark S. Smith. It's a collection of six Ugaritic myths and legends written as poetry. The six stories are Aqhat, The Rephaim, Kirta, Baal, The Lovely Gods, and El's Drinking Party. Each story is preceded by an introduction by the book's authors. It's a fun read and a good introduction to Ugaritic literature.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:54 PM

385 posts, read 205,536 times
Sounds interesting, Mike!

I an completing Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance. Then I plan on starting American War.

I did complete my last three BotM books. Looking forward to January's choices!

Old 12-15-2017, 06:15 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
What does Ugaritic mean...? Sorry, I really don't know.

QUOTE=Mike555;50408565]I just finished reading 'Stories from Ancient Canaan,' edited and translated by Michael D. Coogan and Mark S. Smith. It's a collection of six Ugaritic myths and legends written as poetry. The six stories are Aqhat, The Rephaim, Kirta, Baal, The Lovely Gods, and El's Drinking Party. Each story is preceded by an introduction by the book's authors. It's a fun read and a good introduction to Ugaritic literature.[/quote]

Old 12-15-2017, 06:17 PM

Diving into Darkness
A True Story of Death and Survival
by Phillip Finch

SCUBA adventures...

Old 12-15-2017, 06:53 PM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
What does Ugaritic mean...? Sorry, I really don't know.

QUOTE=Mike555;50408565]I just finished reading 'Stories from Ancient Canaan,' edited and translated by Michael D. Coogan and Mark S. Smith. It's a collection of six Ugaritic myths and legends written as poetry. The six stories are Aqhat, The Rephaim, Kirta, Baal, The Lovely Gods, and El's Drinking Party. Each story is preceded by an introduction by the book's authors. It's a fun read and a good introduction to Ugaritic literature.
Ugarit was an ancient seaport city on the Mediterranean Sea north of the cities of Sidon and Tyre. It was destroyed in the 12th century BC and its location forgotten about until 1928 when its ruins were accidentally discovered. Excavations then uncovered Ugaritic texts written on clay tablets. Ugaritic literature has been of great help to Biblical scholarship because it contains information about ancient Canaanite religious beliefs just before the Israelites settled in the land to the south. The book I posted about contains six stories about the Canaanite gods.

Here is a Wiki article about Ugarit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugarit

Old 12-15-2017, 08:35 PM

Thanks, Mike...very interesting...

Old 12-15-2017, 08:36 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,845,812 times
Ishmael. Pretty good book and I have less than 100 pages left.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:43 PM

443 posts, read 437,458 times
I'm trying to work through "Moonglow" .. it's gotten so many good reviews but I find myself zoning out whilst reading. I'm about 100 pages in and can't stay focused on it.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:31 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,889,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a l'ouest View Post
I'm trying to work through "Moonglow" .. it's gotten so many good reviews but I find myself zoning out whilst reading. I'm about 100 pages in and can't stay focused on it.
I liked Chabon's Moonglow enough that I zipped right through it. The book of his I could. not. get. through. was The Yiddish Policemen's Union. He is one of my favorite writers, though.

I'm currently reading another favorite author, Alice McDermott. Her latest is called The Ninth Hour, and it's about the loving wonderfulness of the nuns with whom you may be familiar if you are Irish Catholic (I'm half) and of a certain age (I'm on the younger end, I think).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books