Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2018, 06:10 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Don't read The Things They Carried. It's horribly sad and miserable. And, as Ketabcha pointed out, it's mostly fiction. I say "mostly" because it's said to be somewhat autobiographical. I guess that fiction should be easier to swallow but... no. It's just too much. I couldn't even finish it.

I tried to read this one, Dawn, and as I told you it became too barbaric and sort of other worldly (and not in a good way). I know stuff happens in the fog of war. I'm not naïve about that. I simply could not stomach it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 06:17 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Thank you Lisa, both went onto to my to-read list.

Started Light a Penny Candle by Maeve Binchy yesterday and have already a hard time getting into old Irish accent and not mixing up all those family members I hope it's getting better since it's 597 pages long
I really liked An Invisible Thread. As for Maeve Binchy I have some of hers on my list but have never gotten around to them. Maybe someday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm still loving A Gentleman in Moscow and don't want it to end. I liked Rules of Civility by Amor Towels, but am enjoying this ten times more.
AGIM was a great book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
So, I started and finished Behind Closed Doors, and I have to say that I actually enjoyed it. Read it in one day. Now, this is not great literature. It doesn't make you think deeply about the human condition, or illuminate you about some unique perspective, or teach you about another culture or subculture, or teach you anything new. The characters aren't well developed and it's almost impossible to believe that any of them are or could be real (especially the villain in the story). BUT, it was a page turner. After each chapter, I had to keep going to see what happened next. It had a relatively satisfying ending.

I most liken it to watching a Lifetime Television movie -- not at all personally enriching, but quite entertaining while it lasts.

On to the Emmitt Till book.
Oh good. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I like a good story and one that keeps me entertained and that can change immensely depending on what I am interested in at the time, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Thanks for mentioning this title, Liz. I think it is exactly what I need right now. I've been bouncing around from book to book without finishing any of them (okay, it has been all of 3 books).

I've downloaded it and I'm jumping right in. Thanks, again.
I slowed down in the last few months with "good" books. BCD was at least one of the better ones for me lately

I am reading a quick YA book, Openly Straight by Bill Konigsberg. It's about a boy, Rafe who came out in 8th grade. By 10th grade he was tired that he couldn't just be a boy but was always mentioned as gay first. He hated the label. His sexual orientation shouldn't "make" him. So he transfers to a private all boys school and he is going to play it straight. It is there that he learns how to have just guy friends and hang out with the guys without being labeled. Anyway in typical YA fashion there is a lesson to be learned for teens.

I like the characters and it is a super fast read.

I went to the big library yesterday and picked up some books with great potential

Old 02-10-2018, 06:29 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I went to the big library yesterday and picked up some books with great potential
Tease! You're supposed to LIST them here, no?

Question for you: When do you sleep? You cook, you do science (i.e. bake), you pretty much build houses from scratch with Mike, and you read more books than I thought was humanly possible (although... there's Ketabcha...). I'm sure that you do a hundred other things too (like you've got to shop for the food, go get the books) and I just can't figure out when you sleep. You need to change your screen name again. This one should be Wonder Woman.

Have a super weekend, Lisa!

Old 02-10-2018, 07:02 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
I ate Chinese yesterday......and 1/2 Price is right next store. So I ended up buying two bags of books, around $90, most of them personal quests, and I bought Tracks by Robyn Davidson. I'm half way through it right now.

Granted, I've read From Alice to Ocean. True, I already had Tracks but in a smaller, older, standard paperback version and I wasn't sure how that would stand up to reading. But this one was an easier, more durable paperback, it was only $6, and I snapped it up.

A lot of it is similar to Alice but I think there are differences as well.

Recommended.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:13 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Tease! You're supposed to LIST them here, no?

Question for you: When do you sleep? You cook, you do science (i.e. bake), you pretty much build houses from scratch with Mike, and you read more books than I thought was humanly possible (although... there's Ketabcha...). I'm sure that you do a hundred other things too (like you've got to shop for the food, go get the books) and I just can't figure out when you sleep. You need to change your screen name again. This one should be Wonder Woman.

Have a super weekend, Lisa!

OK...here are the ones I want to read first:

Cowboy and His Elephant by Malcolm MacPherson because I love elephants and cowboys are kind of hot also
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true

This Life I Live by Rory Feek. He and his wife were country singers together living on their farm in TN even though they made it big. They didn't forget their roots. That is the good...the bad and heartbreaking is Joey(the wife) was diagnosed with cancer. They did a show together that showed their love for family and each other. This is his story.

The Joey + Rory Show

Grave Matters: A Journey Through the Modern Funeral Industry to a Natural Way of Burial by Mark Harris. Self explanatory

and
The Chilbury Ladies' Choir by Jennifer Ryan which has been described as similar to The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true, which I really liked.

Ha, ha...I still say it's because I don't watch TV and as Mike and I are getting older we take more breaks, lol.

Last edited by ylisa7; 02-10-2018 at 11:22 AM..

Old 02-10-2018, 11:48 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
OK...here are the ones I want to read first:

Cowboy and His Elephant by Malcolm MacPherson because I love elephants and cowboys are kind of hot also

This Life I Live by Rory Feek. He and his wife were country singers together living on their farm in TN even though they made it big. They didn't forget their roots. That is the good...the bad and heartbreaking is Joey(the wife) was diagnosed with cancer. They did a show together that showed their love for family and each other. This is his story.

The Joey + Rory Show

Grave Matters: A Journey Through the Modern Funeral Industry to a Natural Way of Burial by Mark Harris. Self explanatory

and
The Chilbury Ladies' Choir by Jennifer Ryan which has been described as similar to The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true, which I really liked.

Ha, ha...I still say it's because I don't watch TV and as Mike and I are getting older we take more breaks, lol.
Thank you. Now everyone feels better. And, yes, elephants are gentle giants and cowboys are sizzlin'.

Funny, I kept seeing articles (last year?) about Rory and Joey Feek. I didn't know who was the woman, who was the man, and then, when one died, I heard about that too but still didn't know who they were and why their story was everywhere. Thank you for explaining since I hadn't bothered investigating at the time. Theirs sound like a lovely and loving and sad story.

I watch about six TV shows -- not enough to cut into my reading time, really -- but I think that my problem is that I'm a pauser. After almost every chapter, I put the book down and do something else. Then come back to it for another chapter, maybe two. Rinse, repeat. It can take me almost forever to read a book that way, but my attention span is... oh! look! shiny!

Old 02-10-2018, 12:06 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,354,619 times
Being off work sick for a few weeks is giving me the opportunity to re-read quite a few books. Thoroughly enjoying Shout! by Philip Norman (2003 edition), subtitled The True Story of The Beatles. The first part of the book, covering the very early years is, to me, the most interesting part, probably because once the story gets to 1963 I was by then aware of, and loving the music of, The Beatles.

Just begun Hide My Eyes (published 1958) by the English crime writer Margery Allingham. Over a 40 year period she wrote a series of books featuring the amateur detective Albert Campion, this being one of her later ones; it was published in the US under the titles of Tether's End and Ten Were Missing. Quite evocative of post-war London, as is her best Campion book The Tiger in the Smoke, with a very English crime - other than the murder, all the action takes place in one day. This is an example of how good 1950s British crime fiction could be.
https://margeryallingham.org.uk/biography/

Old 02-10-2018, 02:34 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I finished "Behind Closed Doors" by B.A. Paris. I actually enjoyed it. It was just the kind of book I needed at the time. Quite a story, too. I couldn't put it down. As mentioned by ChicagoLiz, it is exactly the kind of story that the Lifetime Network would produce.

It's a very fast read. I read it in less than a day.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:07 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I finished "Behind Closed Doors" by B.A. Paris. I actually enjoyed it. It was just the kind of book I needed at the time. Quite a story, too. I couldn't put it down. As mentioned by ChicagoLiz, it is exactly the kind of story that the Lifetime Network would produce.

It's a very fast read. I read it in less than a day.
Yay! Glad you enjoyed it. Pleased to see we seem to have felt the exact same way about it.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:13 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Just finished "Sons and Soldiers" about German born Jews who managed to get into the US during the 30s and became part of US Army intelligence highly secret unit called the "Ritchie Boys" from the camp they were trained....
Gives the backgrounds of several specific young men and their war experiences---
Very interesting
Similar to "Boys in the Boat" format--not as well written but still compelling--
Would make an excellent movie and likely easier to finance than Boys in the Boat since it has some strong battle scenes (like the Operation Market Garden of "A Bridge too Far" and the Battle of the Bulge ("Patton" and "Band of Brothers) that are always worth mining again...
Better title in my mind would have been "The Ritchie Boys"
Maybe there was already book by that name but "Sons and Soldiers" is really forgettable...
The Ritchie Boys is mentioned many times in the book...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books