Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2018, 01:25 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I have been reading but not posting about the books I've read. My dog died in January and it hit me very hard. So one of the books that I really enjoyed was The One-in-a-Million Boy. I recommend it for anyone who enjoyed The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. https://www.amazon.com/One-Million-B...-a-million+boy

I thought it was a five star book.

And then there was The Summit, which unexpectedly gripped me. I didn't think the writing was that good but the storyline just carried me away even when some things seemed implausible (like the Fireman book, Marlow). https://www.amazon.com/Summit-Novel-...rds=The+summit
I'm sorry to hear about your dog. It is so hard to lose a member of the family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 01:46 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I have been reading but not posting about the books I've read. My dog died in January and it hit me very hard.

I am so sorry to hear that (((Hugs))). I just went through that last spring with my little girl so I know how you feel. Finally I can look at pictures of her and smile at them.

And on the animal note I finished:

Once Upon a Flock: Life with My Soulful Chickens by Lauren Scheuer which was a really cute little story. If you like chickens or you want to get or have chickens this is a cute book to read. The author buys four chicks and tells us her experiences in raising them for the first time. She uses her sketches and pictures throughout this fun little book. I liked reading about the individual personalities of her girls.

And in one day I read Cowboy and His Elephant by Malcolm MacPherson Which I really liked. I cried twice during the book but they were happy tears. It was a touching little story of Amy, whose family was culled in Africa and she was sent to the US to be sold. Bob ends up buying her and they have a special bond. BTW, the man is Bob Norris the Marlboro man.

Next up:

Fiction
House Rules by Jodi Picoult
"When your son can't look you in the eye...does that mean he's guilty?

Jacob Hunt is a teen with Asperger's syndrome. He's hopeless at reading social cues or expressing himself well to others, though he is brilliant in many ways. But he has a special focus on one subject - forensic analysis. A police scanner in his room clues him in to crime scenes, and he's always showing up and telling the cops what to do. And he's usually right.

But when Jacob's small hometown is rocked by a terrible murder, law enforcement comes to him. Jacob's behaviors are hallmark Asperger's, but they look a lot like guilt to the local police. Suddenly the Hunt family, who only want to fit in, are directly in the spotlight. For Jacob's mother, Emma, it's a brutal reminder of the intolerance and misunderstanding that always threaten her family. For his brother, Theo, it's another indication why nothing is normal because of Jacob.

And over this small family, the soul-searing question looms: Did Jacob commit murder?

Non Fiction
Anatomy of an Epidemic: Magic Bullets, Psychiatric Drugs, and the Astonishing Rise of Mental Illness in America by Robert Whitaker

Old 02-26-2018, 04:36 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Just finished reading "The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane", by Lisa See. Would be interested in reading comments from those of you who have also read it. I should have read the negative reviews on Amazon instead of falling in love with the 5 star reviews. Very disappointed, it's on the book shelf looking pretty in its red 'n gold jacket. On a scale of 1 to 10, I've given it a 3.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Just finished reading "The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane", by Lisa See. Would be interested in reading comments from those of you who have also read it. I should have read the negative reviews on Amazon instead of falling in love with the 5 star reviews. Very disappointed, it's on the book shelf looking pretty in its red 'n gold jacket. On a scale of 1 to 10, I've given it a 3.
I bought this last year and it has been sitting next to my chair since then. I want to read it but just haven't gotten to it. I'm sad to see your comment -- that happens to me frequently with novels, so now I'm a bit weary. If I get to it, I'll try to remember to respond.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:43 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Just finished "Faithful Place"--Book 3 of "The Dublin Murder Squad" by Tana French--
Police procedural about detective who finds out his first love didn't desert him on night they were supposed to run away to London---lots of dysfunctional family drama--so multiple layers---
Got it cheap on BookBub--French's other books are over $10 for Kindle...expensive for E-books IMO which are bringing in most of the money for publishers now I think...

Read BBC is filming 8 part series this year on her books so if you like them they will show up on Masterpiece or some other streaming service in couple of years...

Old 02-27-2018, 06:03 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Started "Refex" by Dick Francis
Francis was so good at incorporation quality insight into other fields of expertise but in this book it just makes you feel its age. Photography drives as much of the action as the racing aspect and that field has changed so dramatically since the book was written
I still enjoy it -- wanted something familiar--

Old 02-27-2018, 08:34 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I bought this last year and it has been sitting next to my chair since then. I want to read it but just haven't gotten to it. I'm sad to see your comment -- that happens to me frequently with novels, so now I'm a bit weary. If I get to it, I'll try to remember to respond.
About 75% of the book is rather boring description of how to gather and make the Pu'er Tea, and other tea hunting and purchasing sagas in the mountains of one area in China. The author doesn't develop the character until almost the end, and then --- poof --- story ends. Far from one of her best, sorry to say.

(Your mileage may vary though.)

Last edited by QuilterChick; 02-27-2018 at 08:48 AM..

Old 02-27-2018, 02:08 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Started "Refex" by Dick Francis
Francis was so good at incorporation quality insight into other fields of expertise but in this book it just makes you feel its age. Photography drives as much of the action as the racing aspect and that field has changed so dramatically since the book was written
I still enjoy it -- wanted something familiar--
I liked author's early books too....now he has a second writer which changes his books...not a fan of this change.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
About 75% of the book is rather boring description of how to gather and make the Pu'er Tea, and other tea hunting and purchasing sagas in the mountains of one area in China. The author doesn't develop the character until almost the end, and then --- poof --- story ends. Far from one of her best, sorry to say.

(Your mileage may vary though.)
:-(

I have a lot of books that deal with China and Chinese settings, as at one point I was going to adopt a child from China, but ended up not. But I've still been involved with many discussions and read quite a bit about China, and have lots of books on my TBR shelf.

Right now I'm reading a book called The Body Keeps the Score, which is about trauma. This is for my book club. (One of our members is a psychotherapist and he has recommended quite a few books about the brain, which have all been fascinating. But I feel like I need a break soon to read about some other subjects.) So far, it has been very interesting.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:48 PM

496 posts, read 395,417 times
I finished The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah last night and I loved it! I’ve been a fan of her’s since I read Winter Garden, and this beer certainly didn’t disappoint. Her descriptions made me feel as I was there.

Not sure what’s up next. Heading over to Amazon to take a gander.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books