Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2018, 08:01 PM

496 posts, read 395,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I have been reading but not posting about the books I've read. My dog died in January and it hit me very hard. So one of the books that I really enjoyed was The One-in-a-Million Boy. I recommend it for anyone who enjoyed The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. https://www.amazon.com/One-Million-B...-a-million+boy

I thought it was a five star book.

And then there was The Summit, which unexpectedly gripped me. I didn't think the writing was that good but the storyline just carried me away even when some things seemed implausible (like the Fireman book, Marlow). https://www.amazon.com/Summit-Novel-...rds=The+summit
I loved the One in a Million Boy and agree it was a five star!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 08:17 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Finished bio

Steven Spielberg
by Joseph McBride

Old 02-28-2018, 08:40 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
I finished Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling and I'd give it 2.5/5 overall. The first third was better, and then she seemed to run out of material. It was a very easy read.

I picked up Catcher in the Rye for a re-read. Not sure if I'll finish it or not. It seems very dated.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:23 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
I'm reading Crown Heights by Colin Warner and Carl King. It's a short (103 pages) book -- a Kindle Single, whatever the heck that is -- that was made into a movie. It's the TRUE story of a man (a boy, really) -- Colin -- who was wrongfully convicted of murder and spent 21 years in prison.

Is it a well-written book? No.
Is it a good story? No, not "good." It's harrowing and frustrating and you just want to scream "HOW? HOW CAN THIS HAPPEN?!?" I'm a pauser in the best of times (I go do something else after every chapter) but for this book I *have* to pause, even if that wasn't my norm with every book. Because after each chapter I have to try to wrap my head around how the justice (ha!) system failed him. And fail him it did. My god, this is horrible. I'm at 46% (so halfway-ish through; 47 or so pages) and he was just convicted (how???) and sentenced. I know how this ends -- it's in the synopsis -- but still... I don't know how I'm going to read about his TWO DECADES in prison without crying some more. Oh, I know: I'll cry some more.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:14 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm reading Crown Heights by Colin Warner and Carl King. It's a short (103 pages) book -- a Kindle Single, whatever the heck that is -- that was made into a movie. It's the TRUE story of a man (a boy, really) -- Colin -- who was wrongfully convicted of murder and spent 21 years in prison.

Is it a well-written book? No.
Is it a good story? No, not "good." It's harrowing and frustrating and you just want to scream "HOW? HOW CAN THIS HAPPEN?!?" I'm a pauser in the best of times (I go do something else after every chapter) but for this book I *have* to pause, even if that wasn't my norm with every book. Because after each chapter I have to try to wrap my head around how the justice (ha!) system failed him. And fail him it did. My god, this is horrible. I'm at 46% (so halfway-ish through; 47 or so pages) and he was just convicted (how???) and sentenced. I know how this ends -- it's in the synopsis -- but still... I don't know how I'm going to read about his TWO DECADES in prison without crying some more. Oh, I know: I'll cry some more.
In case you want to subject yourself to more sadness and frustration, look at The Innocent Man by John Grisham. https://www.amazon.com/Innocent-Man-.../dp/0345532015

I'm not a big fan of Grisham's fiction, but this is non-fiction and is very good, in a sad and maddening kind of way.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:42 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
In case you want to subject yourself to more sadness and frustration, look at The Innocent Man by John Grisham. https://www.amazon.com/Innocent-Man-.../dp/0345532015

I'm not a big fan of Grisham's fiction, but this is non-fiction and is very good, in a sad and maddening kind of way.
I just downloaded it to my Kindle for whenever I can handle 450 more pages of anger.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:53 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I finished The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah last night and I loved it! I’ve been a fan of her’s since I read Winter Garden, and this beer certainly didn’t disappoint. Her descriptions made me feel as I was there.

Not sure what’s up next. Heading over to Amazon to take a gander.

Beer LOL .... I need one not really . wow I would love to see a book with a can of beer hidden in it LOL

Old 02-28-2018, 07:04 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,054,901 times
I waited and waited for the library to get to me for Lisa Gardner's "Find Me". I was 35 on the list. And now that I am half way through it, I hate it. So much unnecessary explaining. Enjoyed her other books, but not this one.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:30 PM

443 posts, read 437,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
I waited and waited for the library to get to me for Lisa Gardner's "Find Me". I was 35 on the list. And now that I am half way through it, I hate it. So much unnecessary explaining. Enjoyed her other books, but not this one.
To be honest, I read this one in late 2016 and I can't for the life of me remember what it was about. I can tell you about all the other Lisa Gardner books in the series (after looking at the blurb) but I wouldn't know that I've read this one if it weren't for Goodreads. I just picked up the latest one from the library but haven't had a chance to really get into it yet.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:52 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
I'm reading "Directive 99" by Judith Rolfs. It's well written and I can see the writing on the wall.

It's a slightly dystopian medical (let's kill all the old people) thriller because their care costs too much. It reminds me of something that Robin Cook would write and I like Robin Cook's books. I'm not far into the book but I like it. What is really unsettling about the story is that it actually could happen in a political climate not much different than what we have today in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books