Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2018, 10:40 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,675,517 times

Advertisements

It's Even Worse Than It Looks
by Norman Ornstein and Thomas E. Mann
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 11:17 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,468 times
Grist Mill Road, by Christopher J. Yates. Loving it (about 3/4 the way through).

Old 03-03-2018, 02:58 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
I finally finished The Wall which Ketabcha recommended many moons ago. I had started it a long, long time ago but found it too depressing. Then I gave it another try, from a starting point of 35% in and found it fascinating. The focus on the day to day work of caring for animals even when you're sick, and planting a garden all seemed like my actual life.

After finishing the book, I went back to Amazon to look at the cover and found a comment in the editorial review, about how the book is a "textbook case of clinical depression." That sent me straight into a depression as the book described my everyday life so perfectly and I wondered what exactly had been so depressing, apart from the fact of discovering you're the last woman on earth. I thought the woman had done very well given the circumstances. And today I realised that the comment must have been meant for the story (the wall) as metaphor and I immediately felt much better!

https://www.amazon.com/Wall-Marlen-H...words=the+wall

Old 03-03-2018, 05:01 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
This is the danger of Free on Kindle. While there are some good books, they are outnumbered in a sea of mediocrity. I stick to traditionally published books, because they have at least been through an editing process. Even though some shockingly bad stuff still seems to make it through the traditional publication process, as a percentage that is much less than what you find in the self-published world.

Free doesn't do much for me. The real expense is time. There are so many books I want to read that I don't have time for all of them. The opportunity cost of not reading some great books is too high to spend time with the free stuff. And, if expense is really an issue, there are lots of ways to get books for low or no cost -- obviously, the library, but also at used bookstores, or places like goodwill. Or book swaps, Little Free Libraries, or even borrowing from others. My town has a book shed, where people can drop off books they don't want anymore and people can take as many books as they'd like. I've seen some fantastic books there.
Technically these books were not FREE---
I pay for Kindle Unlimited and they were available as an Unlimited book or you could buy them if you didn't have that service...I have found some excellent books via Unlimited but there are other offerings that often because they are new authors--maybe self-published--that aren't on the level of "notable" writers---
Not to say they aren't worth reading...Personally Dickens is regarded as great author but I would not spend any time rereading "David Copperfield" nor would I reread Bronte's "Jane Eyre"---the prose is just too torturous...
Jane Austin is probably one I would go back to for "Pride and Prejudice", one of the best books ever...

I have bought many books, hardback, paperback, and e-version that turned out to be a waste of time
The latter entries in the Detective Lindley series are a serious disappointment, for example...
I also use the free service Open Library which offers a variety of books-fiction/non-fiction...
I read almost all of Lawrence Block's mysteries on there and was grateful...enjoyed them...
Reread the Travis McGee series (most of them) there on e-version...
I need the magnified font and can't deal with paperbacks, free or not...

Old 03-03-2018, 05:07 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

Love police procedurals but not when the who-done-it or the major clue is given halfway through the book...
I guess it depends on whether the reader sees it as a "major" clue---
In the second book, I thought it was pretty self-evident, a red flag so to speak but the police certainly didn't see it that way...

And I have read books where the criminal is known or strongly suspected and the tension comes from how the proof is acquired...
It is all about the writing---

Old 03-03-2018, 07:41 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
I finished "The Great Alone" by Kristin Hannah.

Wow. Just wow. I really loved this book. It is quite vicious in parts and I had to quit reading a couple of times because of it. Those scenes were anxiety producing. Still, IMO, the book is basically a love story about two couples and a love story about Alaska.

The characters (and I do mean characters) are so vividly described. We get to know these folks and care about them.

Anywho, it's a good book. I didn't want it to end.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:44 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
I may be late to the party but I just finished A Piece of the World (Christina Baker Kline who also wrote Orphan Train) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was so interesting, though I don't love the skipping forward and back, and a very compelling read- it kept me drawn in and I read it quickly (which I don't often do nowadays).
Such a beautiful story.

Not certain what I will tackle next.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:57 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I'm at 11% of The Foundling: The True Story of a Kidnapping, a Family Secret, and My Search for the Real Me by Paul Joseph Fronczak. I probably shouldn't even bother saying this because I've been wrong at least three times before with other books, but I think it was chicagoliz who recommended this one. I haven't even gotten to the meat of the story yet but it's already crazy and heartbreaking.

Old 03-04-2018, 06:42 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm at 11% of The Foundling: The True Story of a Kidnapping, a Family Secret, and My Search for the Real Me by Paul Joseph Fronczak. I probably shouldn't even bother saying this because I've been wrong at least three times before with other books, but I think it was chicagoliz who recommended this one. I haven't even gotten to the meat of the story yet but it's already crazy and heartbreaking.
I think it was me who recommended it -- I did read it and oh, so thought provoking. I think I posted about it here (I'm just too lazy to check). There is so much heartbreaking about it.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:48 PM

496 posts, read 395,364 times
I’m almost finished with Rules of Civility by Amor Towles. Wow, what a writer. His writing is absolutely delicious. I loved A Gentleman in Moscow and this book is just as grand. I really don’t want it to end. I’m not sure what I will be reading next but I know it will pale in comparison to Rules of Civility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books