Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2018, 09:43 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I don't know if I'm the one who recommended Enrique's Journey, but I frequently do recommend it and it is one of those books that I think everyone should read. I've occasionally participated in reddit "Secret Santa" exchanges and they usually do a book one every year. I've sent Enrique's Journey several times to people, especially when they say just to send a favorite book or that they're open to anything.

…
Yes, an excellent book. I just read it recently - good background for understanding the details of the recent immigrant caravan from Honduras, & that entire phenomenon. There's a lot of history there - between the Central American states & the US & Mexico, & much of it isn't pleasant reading.

But it's important to get to the heart of things & understand them, as best we can. Otherwise, how can we make wise policy decisions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 11:53 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFebruary View Post
I've seen Thirteen Reasons why while browsing through books on the internet a lot and was always curious, but end up disregarding it when I read in the summary that the girl who commits suicide is the protagonist's crush. I've read a bunch of YA books where the main character instantly falls in love with a girl/guy that doesn't have much depth, and then their whole world starts revolving around this person and it really detracts from the story. Now I'm wary of anything that even hints of romance or teen drama related to it.

Does Thirteen Reasons Why have a lot of unnecessary romance in it?
No, it doesn't have a lot of romance in it. ChicagoLiz is right. It's a true page turner and mostly it accounts that you don't know what effect words can have on others. Especially when you are a teenager and trying to come to grips with all that stuff happening in high school. I don't like romance stories very much and read them very rarely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
When I don't understand a book, I usually look it up on Wikipedia to get a head start. I find that even if I read some spoilers, it doesn't detract from the enjoyment of it. Either that or I just give up.

Sorry about losing your grandpa. Wishing you peace and comfort.
I know what you mean. Basically I know what this book is about. I just don't understand why Mercier could find a publisher who would really issue this book since it absolutely has no meaning at all (for me).

Thank you all for the kind words!

Old 05-23-2018, 05:55 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Yes, an excellent book. I just read it recently - good background for understanding the details of the recent immigrant caravan from Honduras, & that entire phenomenon. There's a lot of history there - between the Central American states & the US & Mexico, & much of it isn't pleasant reading.

But it's important to get to the heart of things & understand them, as best we can. Otherwise, how can we make wise policy decisions?
If you really want to learn the disturbing history of US interference in Latin America, read Bitter Fruit by Stephen Kinzer and Stephen Schlesinger. Another must-read. More academic than a book like Enrique's Journey, but fascinating nonetheless. I read it a while back, but I want to re-read it.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:05 AM

Been a bad month for literary greats -- just read that we lost Philip Roth. :-(

Old 05-23-2018, 06:18 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Been a bad month for literary greats -- just read that we lost Philip Roth. :-(
So sad! I recently read a few of his books -- a memoir about his father, Patrimony, which was beautiful; the other being Goodbye Columbus, which was a wonderful read (his dialogue and humor were both perfect).

There's a quote attributed to him -- "Old age isn't a battle; old age is a massacre." -- that's meaningful on this day that we learned of his passing.

There's another quote attributed to him that made me smile. The same is true for Jewish daughters. "A Jewish man with parents alive is a fifteen-year-old boy, and will remain a fifteen-year-old boy until they die."

Last edited by DawnMTL; 05-23-2018 at 07:26 AM..

Old 05-23-2018, 08:19 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
[quote=ylisa7;51972790]

I found him too stuffy to be enjoyable. so I never finished it. I know it has good reviews. Does he become more likable? If so I may give it another go at some point

Old 05-23-2018, 08:46 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Apparently we just don't like the same books.... Nothing wrong with that.

Agreed....otherwise we would all be bored with each other We do like "some" of the same books

Old 05-23-2018, 09:49 AM

188 posts, read 202,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I liked Thirteen Reasons Why. I only gave it 3 stars but that doesn't mean I didn't like it I thought it was good for the people to understand how what you say or do affects others.

I wonder if any bullies who have read it had an epiphany and started acting nicer?

Quote:
I recall reading this a while back, and thought I recalled that my feeling was one of being underwhelmed. I just checked my goodreads, and I did give it 4 stars because it kept me turning the pages,but I didn't find it overall completely satisfying and I put it on a shelf I created called "Over-hyped YA." I don't recall an excessive amount of romance, although i read it a while ago. In my review I thought it wasn't a very realistic portrayal, and the "reasons" didn't seem like reasons to kill one's self. But, I can't recall in depth why I thought this.

I'm curious about the "reasons"! I assume it's bullying, family problems and high school drama type stuff, but there's 13 reasons, which seems like a lot, so I'm hoping a few are less obvious. Even if the reasons didn't seem like reasons I would kill myself over, I think I might still be able to suspend disbelief since someone who's suicidal isn't going to be thinking totally rationally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
No, it doesn't have a lot of romance in it. ChicagoLiz is right. It's a true page turner and mostly it accounts that you don't know what effect words can have on others. Especially when you are a teenager and trying to come to grips with all that stuff happening in high school. I don't like romance stories very much and read them very rarely.

I think I'll just give it a try so I can stop wondering about it every time I see it. You and chicagoliz say there isn't much romance and it's a page-turner so I'll probably like it, and it's short so it won't be a big time investment if I don't like it.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFebruary View Post
I wonder if any bullies who have read it had an epiphany and started acting nicer?

I'm curious about the "reasons"! I assume it's bullying, family problems and high school drama type stuff, but there's 13 reasons, which seems like a lot, so I'm hoping a few are less obvious. Even if the reasons didn't seem like reasons I would kill myself over, I think I might still be able to suspend disbelief since someone who's suicidal isn't going to be thinking totally rationally.

I think I'll just give it a try so I can stop wondering about it every time I see it. You and chicagoliz say there isn't much romance and it's a page-turner so I'll probably like it, and it's short so it won't be a big time investment if I don't like it.
It was so long ago that I read it that I honestly can't remember what the "reasons" were at this point. But if you've been wondering about it that much, you absolutely should read it to satisfy that curiosity. It's a decent enough book, and who knows -- you might love it. Plus, since it's YA, it won't take that long to read.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:33 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Even though I was very tired yesterday I finished The Life List by Lori Nelson Spielman. A very quick read and quite entertaining even though most situations were predictable and I was expecting how they went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books