Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2019, 10:11 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,736,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
"The Tattooist of Auschwitz" by Heather Morris

I have finally sat down to read this book that has been getting a lot of recognition and actually feel really let down by the author. After reading this novel I did a little research and found that many parts of the book have been denied. Auschwitz Memorial claims that “the book contains numerous errors and information inconsistent with the facts, as well as exaggerations, misinterpretations and understatements”.

This is upsetting as a reader. The events that took place during WWII against the Jewish people were so wrong and outrageous that authors have a responsibility to tell the truth so that future readers can accurately know what happened. I've read several books pertaining to WWII and most of them have been very well done, but this read like fiction from the get go.

The truth is that this book should not have been presented as a true story. Heather Morris claims 95% of the book is based on accuracy, again cannot be verified.

“Given the number of factual errors, therefore, this book cannot be recommended as a valuable title for persons who want to explore and understand the history of KL Auschwitz.”---The Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial and Museum

Anyone interested in reading more of the truth can do so here:

https://view.joomag.com/memoria-en-n...92001543510530

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...emorial-centre

The real man behind the book, Ludwig "Lali" Sokolov né Eisenberg; 1916–2006, deserved better in my opinion.

I read it too and felt quite similar. While it might be BASED on a true story regarding the "love affair", the rest is just a general, overall picture of Auschwitz, a NOVEL....and I just decided to take it as that. I doubt the author intended it as a true, historical book based on factual information.

Just finished a bio of Hitler, read in conjunction with the book Auschwitz. There you can learn the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 10:41 AM

3,774 posts, read 1,739,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I read it too and felt quite similar. While it might be BASED on a true story regarding the "love affair", the rest is just a general, overall picture of Auschwitz, a NOVEL....and I just decided to take it as that. I doubt the author intended it as a true, historical book based on factual information.

Just finished a bio of Hitler, read in conjunction with the book Auschwitz. There you can learn the truth.

What bothered me the most is how the book was presented as a true story, most of it was fiction.
Do you recommend both? What are the titles?

Old 01-06-2019, 11:37 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,736,529 times
Quote:
What bothered me the most is how the book was presented as a true story, most of it was fiction.
Do you recommend both? What are the titles?
I know...but it was a novel, first and foremost.

The Life and Death of Adolf Hitler
by Robert Payne

Recommended, and I've read several books on him....readable and interesting, never lost my concentration.
Fascinating.

Auschwitz
by Deborah Dwork and Robert Jan Van Pelt

Focuses VERY heavily on the area of the camp prior to the camps being erected and on the planning and construction and use of all buildings in the camp. A lot of maps and construction plans. They planned things down to a minute detail for the crematoriums etc. No real personal stories here just focus on the camp and activities and deaths of millions.

I've been into reading about WWII for several years now but Hitler is the subject I've read most on....still trying to make sense of how an Austrian boy turned into a brutal self-involved psychopath with no ideas of remorse.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:18 PM

443 posts, read 434,012 times
Reading Practical Magic and I think this may be the first time I've ever preferred the movie to the book.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:48 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,326,610 times
"Florence Gordon" by Brian Morton

Old 01-06-2019, 05:57 PM

9,288 posts, read 5,048,135 times
House Rules by Jodi Picoult

Old 01-06-2019, 05:59 PM

9,288 posts, read 5,048,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Absolutely one of the most fascinating people ever....first day I read 130 pages....just an informative but easy read, so much info about him than other books. I'm even taking notes.

Read Rise and Fall too...it does take awhile to get through but it's a must read for WWII and Hitler.

Have a book coming
Valkyrie

about the attempt on Hitler's life by some in his party....sorry it was not successful.
Not that gigantic of a Tom Cruise fan, but he made a movie "Valkyrie" and it was really good. IMO.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:23 PM

48,395 posts, read 34,529,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
House Rules by Jodi Picoult
I just started Leaving Time by her on audio book, and I'm really enjoying it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-06-2019, 11:35 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,369,877 times
Quote:
"The Tattooist of Auschwitz" by Heather Morris

I have finally sat down to read this book that has been getting a lot of recognition and actually feel really let down by the author. After reading this novel I did a little research and found that many parts of the book have been denied. Auschwitz Memorial claims that “the book contains numerous errors and information inconsistent with the facts, as well as exaggerations, misinterpretations and understatements”.

This is upsetting as a reader. The events that took place during WWII against the Jewish people were so wrong and outrageous that authors have a responsibility to tell the truth so that future readers can accurately know what happened. I've read several books pertaining to WWII and most of them have been very well done, but this read like fiction from the get go.

The truth is that this book should not have been presented as a true story. Heather Morris claims 95% of the book is based on accuracy, again cannot be verified.

“Given the number of factual errors, therefore, this book cannot be recommended as a valuable title for persons who want to explore and understand the history of KL Auschwitz.”---The Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial and Museum

Anyone interested in reading more of the truth can do so here:

https://view.joomag.com/memoria-en-n...92001543510530

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...emorial-centre

The real man behind the book, Ludwig "Lali" Sokolov né Eisenberg; 1916–2006, deserved better in my opinion.

Thank you, I just deleted it from my TBR list.

I'm halfway through The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. It is okay but it still doesn't give me the shivers yet. It's not that creepy.

All the Creatures Great and Small by James Herrington is really wonderful. It has something romantic and fairy tale like and I'm only 25% in.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:38 AM

35,508 posts, read 17,749,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Thank you, I just deleted it from my TBR list.

I'm halfway through The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. It is okay but it still doesn't give me the shivers yet. It's not that creepy.

All the Creatures Great and Small by James Herrington is really wonderful. It has something romantic and fairy tale like and I'm only 25% in.
I loved James Herrington books. The follow on books are almost as good as the first. Such a gentle, lovely man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books