Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2019, 09:40 AM

8,753 posts, read 5,050,099 times

Advertisements

Just finished Every Breath, by Nicholas Sparks.....another box of kleenex finished. Think I like him, because I used to live on the coast of NC. Like going home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 09:43 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Library books always become available at the worst possible moment. I just got Secret Life of Bees, so yeah, I had to put aside some books that I was in the middle of.
I thought I was the only one exasperated by just plain luck of the draw. Funny how you can reserve a book with a long waiting list, wait weeks or even months for it, and just as you are reading two other books, your number comes up!

There are two books I own that I’m reading in little chunks over a long time, for this reason. One of them had been dropped for so long I actually started reading it from the beginning again! For the other one, I lost the bookmark in it and will need to at least skim from the start to find where I left off. This nonfiction book is an alphabetized set of wonderful definitions for geologic and geographic forms, so chronology doesn’t matter. But it annoys me to have left it so long that now I can only estimate where I stopped reading it. What makes things harder still: I jumped around looking up related terms in different sections, so my reading was not orderly in the first place!

Old 01-21-2019, 09:54 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Adding insult to injury..... my library has LONG waiting times, sometimes I'm number 78 or something crazy, so I am never sure why 3 books that I had on hold all come due within days of each other.

I was having the worst time getting an audio book that held my interest since Saving Time, but finally came upon Eddie Izzard: A Memoir of Life, Death and Jazz Chickens.

It's different, and I really like it. He "reads" like he is chatting with you, and he constantly veers off topic (side notes), and while that should irritate me, it is charming.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-21-2019, 10:19 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
I really enjoyed Inheritance by Dani Shapiro. She told the story of identifying her biological father graciously and sensitively. If you are at all interested in genealogy or Ancestry.com/23andme.... this true story will open your eyes to some of the ethical challenges that are faced when we connect our DNA history to "strangers".

Dawn - you must read this one. Dani and her newly identified biological father share a love for one of our favorite novels, Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:16 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I really enjoyed Inheritance by Dani Shapiro. She told the story of identifying her biological father graciously and sensitively. If you are at all interested in genealogy or Ancestry.com/23andme.... this true story will open your eyes to some of the ethical challenges that are faced when we connect our DNA history to "strangers".

Dawn - you must read this one. Dani and her newly identified biological father share a love for one of our favorite novels, Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner.
AWESOME!!! Like I told you, I love Dani. I've read everything that she's written. I've also "talked" to her on Facebook Messenger to tell her that. But you've got to be KIDDING me about Crossing to Safety!! That's crazy!!! And amazing and awesome and YAY!!! Now I love her even more! (And will likely have to message her again after I read Inheritance and hit the reference to our favorite novel.)

Old 01-21-2019, 02:48 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,618 times
Just finished a fantastic book called The Alice Network by Kate Quinn, it's about female espionage in the 1940s and it was so suspenseful and deep! I love reading about strong females so I was glued to this one!

Old 01-21-2019, 10:36 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,386,066 times
Just finished All Creatures Great and Small and loved it!

I do hope to finish The Haunting of Hill House today. Very slow going and I'm very disappointed it go so many good votes.

Yesterday I started No and Me by Delphine de Vigan which seems to be a quick read.
Next on will be The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy (Harold Fry, #2). I loved the first book about Harold Fry and I gave this to my mom to read at first. She enjoyed it very much so I'm looking forward to it.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:23 AM

417 posts, read 455,244 times
[Miguel'smom wrote

Next on will be The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy (Harold Fry, #2). I loved the first book about Harold Fry and I gave this to my mom to read at first. She enjoyed it very much so I'm looking forward to it.[/quote]

I loved those 2 books. I hope you and your mom enjoy. I actually liked Queenie more than Harold.but loved them both.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:28 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
I just started Virgil Wander by Leif Enger. I love the way this author writes! Story-telling fiction - sort of Mark Twainish, I suppose. It has been ten years since he wrote Peace Like a River so I was ready for this one!

Old 01-22-2019, 12:47 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
I read The Feast of Love back in 2009 and loved it. I'm not sure why it's taken me 10 years to circle back to Charles Baxter, but it has. I'm now reading First Light and loving it. I've been reading it for several (okay, too many) weeks now and am only at 60% but it's because of lack of time, not lack of love. I also have some (okay, all) of his other books on my "to read" list so that I don't forget about him for another 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books