Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 10:16 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,125,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Bury Me Standing: The Gypsies and Their Journey by Isabel Fonseca
I really enjoyed this book! I haven't been able to find much on the subject.

I am still on Under the Dome, and I am reading short stories about the Russian gulag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 12:34 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,362,350 times
Lola, how are you liking UTD?
Sadie, I've heard The Help was very good, but, I haven't read it because I thought it would be depressing. Isn't it about how white women treated their black slaves? Weren't they mean to them? I couldn't read a whole book about white women abusing their power over their black sisters. But, I know it must be good because I've heard that over and over.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:35 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,266,948 times
clear your clutter w/ feng shui by karen kingston

Old 02-20-2010, 06:22 AM

414 posts, read 909,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Lola, how are you liking UTD?
Sadie, I've heard The Help was very good, but, I haven't read it because I thought it would be depressing. Isn't it about how white women treated their black slaves? Weren't they mean to them? I couldn't read a whole book about white women abusing their power over their black sisters. But, I know it must be good because I've heard that over and over.
Jess, it's not about the treatment of slaves it's about nannies/housekeepers (maybe a few steps above slavery)...takes place in the 50's-60's, during the civil rights movement. You can't help but develop an empathy for each of the characters, flaws and all. It was certainly more thought-provoking than depressing. Reading this book was almost like watching a movie...I was able to imagine all the different houses, streets, characters, etc throughout the entire book. I'm a "Northerner" and was never exposed to the life depicted in "The Help" which might have lended itself to my fascination/satisfaction and total enjoyment of the book. Try it...see for yourself! You won't be disappointed.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:39 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,273,111 times
I'm reading I, Alex Cross by James Patterson. I had not read any of Patterson's books for several years but I feel like I have not missed a beat in the life of Alex. I really like the guy.

I've read many books over the years that I totally enjoyed and this is one of them. It's one of those that I think about when I'm doing something else. I was driving home from the grocery store this morning and found myself looking forward to getting home and reading this book.

Patterson's core characters ring so true to me. It's an exciting book and I am excited about reading it even though Patterson made that kinda' silly TV commercial about it.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:10 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,233,909 times
I am reading Betrayed, which is the second book in the House of Night series...soo addiciting!!

Old 02-21-2010, 09:55 PM

11,190 posts, read 10,965,716 times
I am currently reading Ghost Rider - Tales From the Healing Road by Neil Peart. For those who do not recognize the author, he is the drummer and master lyricist for the Canadian rock trio Rush.

In the span of a year in 1997-98, he tragically lost both his daughter and wife, to a car crash and cancer, respectivally. The story is about a man who lost everything, and found peace within himself through only one thing, motion.

It is a travelling tale which encompasses over 55,000 miles on a motorcycle, from Canada through the U.S., to Mexico and Belize, and back. The ride on the healing road is quite an adventure.

Great read!

Old 02-22-2010, 02:37 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,432,658 times
Default Stieg Larrson's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Just finished Larsson's work for my next Book Club meeting. Can't decide if I like it, or I don't. Some elements were intriguing -- financiers gone bad, back-stabbing in the publishing world, an interesting journalist, and an even more intriguing investigator who reminds me of Abby on CBS's NCIS. But one element of the story strikes me as a bit far-fetched, so I have my reservations suggesting the work to others.

Strikes me almost as if Larsson couldn't decide if he wanted to write mysteries, a la Agatha Christie, or horror stories, so he threw some of both in for good measure. I could have done without the horror part -- just didn't feel like the thread was believable. Interestingly enough, in Larsson's Sweden, the book's title is Men Who Hate Women, and without spoiling the storyline for some, that title may clue you in as to the horror thread. Think::kook in The Silence of the Lambs, for whom Lechter tries to provide the FBI detective the insight, to catch the serial torturer.

I did enjoy Larsson's style, the setting and use of Swedish scenes, culture, vocabulary, and adored the character of the girl (with the dragon tattoo). She, alone, has me intrigued enough to want to read the second in the series, The Girl Who Played with Fire.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:02 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,344,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Just finished Larsson's work for my next Book Club meeting. Can't decide if I like it, or I don't. Some elements were intriguing -- financiers gone bad, back-stabbing in the publishing world, an interesting journalist, and an even more intriguing investigator who reminds me of Abby on CBS's NCIS. But one element of the story strikes me as a bit far-fetched, so I have my reservations suggesting the work to others.

Strikes me almost as if Larsson couldn't decide if he wanted to write mysteries, a la Agatha Christie, or horror stories, so he threw some of both in for good measure. I could have done without the horror part -- just didn't feel like the thread was believable. Interestingly enough, in Larsson's Sweden, the book's title is Men Who Hate Women, and without spoiling the storyline for some, that title may clue you in as to the horror thread. Think::kook in The Silence of the Lambs, for whom Lechter tries to provide the FBI detective the insight, to catch the serial torturer.

I did enjoy Larsson's style, the setting and use of Swedish scenes, culture, vocabulary, and adored the character of the girl (with the dragon tattoo). She, alone, has me intrigued enough to want to read the second in the series, The Girl Who Played with Fire.
Do read "fire" Salander's character becomes more developed, and my understanding is that Larsson was deeply involved in issues of mysogony and abuse of women, and that is certainly reflected in his work.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:09 PM

8,306 posts, read 3,467,069 times
In the dark of the night by John Saul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books