Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2019, 03:23 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Aw. Well, that's good news for me, that I didn't miss anything. I liked Pachinko so much I was wondering if I ought to restart Free Food for Millionaires. If you liked Pachinko, you should try The Island of the Sea Women by Lisa See. Just excellent. Pretty much a perfect book and I can't remember the last time I said that. I cried like a baby at the end and I never cry. I don't try for tear-jerkers but this one flowed so naturally, it was amazing. Nothing felt forced about it. It reminded me of family stories about pre, during and post-revolutionary Russia.
Going to check this author out - borrowed her 2017 book The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane.

^ Pachinko is the 2nd best book of 2019 to date. #1 is Beartown. The rest:

03 Spearhead: An American Tank Gunner, His Enemy, and a Collision of Lives In World War II, Adam Makos 2019
04 Victim Without a Face (Fabian Risk, #1), Stefan Ahnhem Rachel Willson-Broyles 2014
05 Where'd You Go, Bernadette, Maria Semple (2012)

Last edited by oeccscclhjhn; 05-08-2019 at 03:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 09:48 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Aw. Well, that's good news for me, that I didn't miss anything. I liked Pachinko so much I was wondering if I ought to restart Free Food for Millionaires. If you liked Pachinko, you should try The Island of the Sea Women by Lisa See. Just excellent. Pretty much a perfect book and I can't remember the last time I said that. I cried like a baby at the end and I never cry. I don't try for tear-jerkers but this one flowed so naturally, it was amazing. Nothing felt forced about it. It reminded me of family stories about pre, during and post-revolutionary Russia.
I confused Lisa See's book with The Largesse of the Sea Maiden by Denis Johnson which was a President Obama recommendation. I decided for the time being not to read. The Island of the Sea Women will will be go on my TBR list. Thanks

Old 05-08-2019, 11:40 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
I finished Long Live the Tribe of Fatherless Girls by T Kira Madden (no period after the T). What a messed up life she led. Crazy. I had no idea when I started the book that she's part of the Steve Madden shoe company family. (Steve is her uncle.) She didn't talk about the company or the scandal that led some of them to prison; she only wrote about her f'd up life with two parents who probably should not have been parents at some stages in their lives. They loved her big, though—and she returned that love just as big. Despite the ugliness and sadness, there is so much love, the book tells a lovely story, and it's written SO WELL. The ending? Stranger than fiction; goosebumps and love.

Up next, a little fiction, emphasis on the "little" for this very short book: State of the Union: A Marriage in Ten Parts by Nick Hornby. Apparently this is also a short-run (10 episodes to match the title) TV series that just started on a network that I don't get. I'm happy to read the book instead anyway—hopefully it'll be good.

Old 05-08-2019, 12:46 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I need to go back and finish that.

Yeah, I normally get just about all my books from the library but I know this one's gonna take me some time. I found a very reasonably priced edition on Amazon which can also be a really good source of used books. There was an American racing engine/car builder named Harry Miller who built beautiful machines, some years ago the Smithsonian published a book about him. The last I looked you can't touch a new one for less than $100.00, I bought a used one advertised as very good for $1.37, it has no more wear on it than a book in a store would get from being looked at a few times.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:36 PM

I finished Phantoms by Christian Kiefer. Riveting story, beautifully written bittersweet story about two families torn apart by war and bigotry. Many secrets. Did not anticipate the ending.

Property by Lionel Shriver contains a novella and short stories. I liked this book. Interesting and well written by one of my favorite authors.

The Mezzanine by Nicholas Baker
Elevators, shoe laces. Nothing is safe from the author's inventive mind. A delightful book. The narrator observes his shoelace is broken and weaves an entertaining story. Initially, reminded me of Seinfeld, the show about nothing.

Kushner, Inc. by Vicky Ward

The Mueller Report. I've finished both sections and will continue until I finish the Key Documents. Easy to read on my Kindle.

Presently reading Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:01 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
Good news for me too. I'll just settle for Pachinko, which I'm loving more each time I pick it up. My 55+ community has its own small library and I noticed that The Island of the Sea Women just was added to their roster. I'd better get on the list as I imagine it will be very popular. It sounds like it would be a good follow up to Pachinko. I need more hours in the day - way too many books I must read!

Me too, finally into Pachinko and loving it. Also have Island of the Sea Women on list.

Also reading Tears of Darkness, The Bataan Death March (WWII)

Old 05-08-2019, 06:32 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I finished Phantoms by Christian Kiefer. Riveting story, beautifully written bittersweet story about two families torn apart by war and bigotry. Many secrets. Did not anticipate the ending.

Property by Lionel Shriver contains a novella and short stories. I liked this book. Interesting and well written by one of my favorite authors.

The Mezzanine by Nicholas Baker
Elevators, shoe laces. Nothing is safe from the author's inventive mind. A delightful book. The narrator observes his shoelace is broken and weaves an entertaining story. Initially, reminded me of Seinfeld, the show about nothing.

Kushner, Inc. by Vicky Ward

The Mueller Report. I've finished both sections and will continue until I finish the Key Documents. Easy to read on my Kindle.

Presently reading Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski.
Hey, how did you get the report? I wanna read it.

My current audio book is Hacks by Donna Brazile. I'm "meh" on it, I do not feel like it is well written, or well expressed.... something is not striking me right, and I'm not sure if I will make it through.

I give up.... adding Pachinko to one of my many book lists.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-08-2019, 07:09 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Just started the latest (The Stone Circle) in Ruth Galloway series—female archeologist who helps w/police investigations
She has a child by DCI Nelson—complicated relationship between them and several other continuing characters
Good plots and quirky asides...
I came to it recently and got to real the 10 previous books one after the other—
Will be a dry spell when I finish the newest one...

Old 05-08-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Hey, how did you get the report? I wanna read it.

My current audio book is Hacks by Donna Brazile. I'm "meh" on it, I do not feel like it is well written, or well expressed.... something is not striking me right, and I'm not sure if I will make it through.

I give up.... adding Pachinko to one of my many book lists.
Originally, I got it from the Justice Dept then from NYT and saved as PDF. I rarely buy a book, but I decided to buy Kindle edition. I got the report with Key Document introductions by WAPO for around $7.

It should be free at the link.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-document.html

Old 05-08-2019, 07:38 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Originally, I got it from the Justice Dept then from NYT and saved as PDF. I rarely buy a book, but I decided to buy Kindle edition. I got the report with Key Document introductions by WAPO for around $7.

It should be free at the link.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-document.html

Mucho Mahalos.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books