Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2010, 07:11 PM

414 posts, read 911,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I started reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett yesterday after having just finished Shutter Island.

Actually I wasn't expecting much. I find that when I finish a book that is truly a good read, as Shutter Island is, I sort of dread starting a new one (but that doesn't stop me) because I'm afraid I will be let down.

Well, The Help is an amazing book. I can't put it down. It's sort of a cross between To Kill A Mockingbird and Fried Green Tomatoes At the Whistlestop Cafe. It's in the deep South and all the morés that entails. 1960s. It has humor, sadness, tragedy and mystery. The characters are so real and the reader is actually inside their heads. I highly recommend it.
I ABSOLUTELY agree, Ketabcha! The Help was an amazing book...I felt like I was in the rooms with the characters; like I was eavesdropping, listening to all their secrets. It was so easy to visualize all the homes, streets, men, ladies and kids! One of those books that you hate to finish because then it's...over!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 07:18 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,369,666 times
I'm new to this thread so hope I'm not repeating a book you've already discussed (couldn't read back 233 pages!). I recently finished "How Starbucks Saved My Life," by Michael Gates Gill. Good book, quick read. Interesting how a fired big time exec learns to live among ordinary people and actually like his life better.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:26 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,784,743 times
I (literally) just finished The Power of Half by Joh and Hannah Salwen.

Great read. I recommend it!

Old 03-20-2010, 08:29 PM

28 posts, read 89,751 times
As mentioned by another poster, I read authors. I also read genres and I'm particularly fond of fantasy and science fiction. Right now I'm reading Neil Gaimanand have mixed feelings about what I've read so far by the author. My favorite authors are Stephen King (The Stand); Dean Koontz (all his books); Octavia Butler (all of her books but especially her last book, Fledgling, a very interesting take on vampire lore); loved Bridge of Birds an obscure fantasy novel by Barry Hughart; thoroughly enjoy James Patterson novels; love J. California Cooper novels and short stories especially In Search of Satisfaction. I have reread The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings Trilogy several times. I have this quirky ability to read a book or watch a movie and forget it almost completely so I can read it (or watch it) again with the same or more enjoyment as a first time read.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:30 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,784,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I'm new to this thread so hope I'm not repeating a book you've already discussed (couldn't read back 233 pages!). I recently finished "How Starbucks Saved My Life," by Michael Gates Gill. Good book, quick read. Interesting how a fired big time exec learns to live among ordinary people and actually like his life better.
I read that not too long ago.
It was a good read.

If you like that book, you'll probably like The Power of Half. It just came out.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:38 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
"Stormy Weather" by Paulette Jiles. A surprisingly lovely book by an author I had never heard of. Astonishing turns of language describe life for a girl growing up in depression-era Texas.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:03 AM

88,546 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Just picked up Blink yesterday. So far(maybe 20 pages) very interesting.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:32 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,884 times
^I have to read Outliers, by Blink's author (Gladwell? hmm..) for book club this week.

This afternoon I finished Peony in Love. I liked Snowflower & the Secret Fan a lot, so I picked up Peony. I don't care much for romance, and it was too sappy at parts, but much of it was very good. I like that Lisa See's books have a lot about the inner lives of women & parts of Chinese culture that are more obscure.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:13 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,731 times
Chesapeak Blue by Nora Roberts. Can't wait to finish it since Shutter Island is waiting.

The first three books of this series I mentioned (Inner Harbor, Rising Tides, Sea Swept) get 3 from 5 points.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:55 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,186,065 times
Recently finished Nine-Headed Dragon River: Zen Journals by Peter Matthiessen. I bought it a few years ago because I had enjoyed something else he wrote, but just got around to reading it. It is about his experiences with Zen Buddhism, but more than that, for me, it was about him working through his need to macho and control his way through life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books